CA18DET swap in the Netherlands

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

peter
Roadsteraholic

Re: CA18DET swap in the Netherlands

Post by peter »

I had a big problem with my tranny, the bearings where damaged, I took the engine out and this week my tranny was back and reconditioned, and what sounds that great, no whining sound only the sound of the engine and the turbo.
the engine is running smoothly now, in two weeks she goes to the Dyno at Richards place.
But another problem occur, the engine is overheating in the city after some powering, so I ordered an SPAL radiator fan and hope that it is solved then.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Spal make great fans. I have mine on a shroud. I had to cut out the circle in the shroud because the fan was bigger than the stock hole. But it works great!
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

I mounted the SPAL fan and it works great, even the engine room is cooled by the fan.
It was necessary, the Chinese 80 watt fan was like a hair-dryer this fan is more like a vacuum cleaner.
I had some problems with my heater it wasn't working, but the problem was a hose that was situated to high, conclusion air.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

I drove this year till now about 5000 miles with this engine and must say, great fun and cheap driving, fuel consumption about 1liter on 13km ave-ridge, at the high way at 130kph. The peddle goes often to the mettle but I didn't drove faster then 200 at 5500 rpm so 1500 rpm left. There are a few issues, temp getting warm during driving into the city with higher temperatures. So I will change the thermostat to a 82 degr C and the fan thermostat to a 82-87 degr C, hopefully this issue will be gone then.
Normally no wheel spin only during cornering in the second gear she starts to drift and on wet streets you must drive carefully in second and third gear on full power she breaks out.
I will try to fit 205/15/50 wheels and hopefully wheel spin on dry roads will be less then. I also need a boost control gauge to see what more is possible to go at 15psi over pressure so now and then, just for fun. At the front side I have lowered springs and on higher speed I had a wobbling feeling after changing the KYB by Gas type 4528 all the wobbling was gone and during cornering much more stable. I also changed the front brake pads for EBC pads with carbon and they do there job great now, also the hydraulic oil is changed by EBC DOT 4 high performance Glycerol basis to 300 degr C. So at this point is my brake temp. also solved.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Sounds like Fun! Just make sure you're adding in enough fuel to go along with the added boost, otherwise it can be *Poof*! :-)
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

Nice job Peter. Sounds like you are getting quite a bit of seat time in the swapped 66. Have fun.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Gregs672000 wrote:Sounds like Fun! Just make sure you're adding in enough fuel to go along with the added boost, otherwise it can be *Poof*! :-)
The fuel pump can give enough fuel and pressure(5bar).
I know already what a fuel cut is :wink: when you your head hit the steering wheel.
I have a problem with my fuel delivery, when the fuel tank is almost half empty the pump get problems to get the fuel up, I have a external Bosch pomp just behind the tank, and made a pipe to the bottom from 12mm but it stands strait up and I don't know if it will help when I lead that fuel pipe in a 90 degr angle over the bottom. Does someone have an experience with those external fuel problems?
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Peter,
If you are using an external Bosch pump, you need a second low pressure pump to feed it or a gravity flow system, that is a hole in the bottom of the tank.

The Bosch pump is not designed to lift the fuel at ALL. If yoou use it to lift fuel, it will have a very short life span.....maybe as short as 6 month.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Dragrace in the Netherlands 1\8 mile this weekend at Circuit Assen.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Looking good Peter!
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Jdflyer
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Jdflyer »

peter wrote:Dragrace in the Netherlands 1\8 mile this weekend at Circuit Assen.
What were your times?
1970 SPL 311-29311
Phoenix, AZ
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Not great, the street was wet and I had in the first and second gear spinning wheels, so that said it was 10.4 sec.
But I'm pretty sure that I can handle it under 10 seconds on a dry road.
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Winter work has started, engine is out of the car and tranny back to the shop, it makes again wining sounds. next Friday I get him back.
I revisit the turbo CHRA and use now a 360 degr bearing, the diff had some leakage by the oil seal, so I replace that one as well.
The engine gets new oil seals on the two cam shafts, and I lowered the tranny mounting, so the line from the tranny to the diff is more strait.
The fuel tank will be adapted as well, the fuel is now sucked up to the pump but that give problems when the tank is half full.
I also ordered a boost-controller, so now I can upgrade my power with about 30 hp on 15psi.
I ordered by E gauges also 4 new gauges from the hot rod serie and the amp gauge will be replaced for a turbo gauge.
At the end of the winter I will order a set of new wheels in the USA, and will try to place 205/50/15 under need the car, hopefully the wheelspin will be reduced.
compressor pipe is now longer and the air inlet gets more space and cooler air.
old 270 degr bearing, replaced by a 360 degr bearing
cleaned and as new.
and also cleaned.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Sounds like fun! Just make sure your fuel delivery system can provide the necessary fuel for higher boost pressures. As I am sure you know, people often turn up the boost without addressing computer programming, fuel pressure, injector capacities etc which results in detonation and explosion. I am absolutely NO expert on these things, just know it from talking to people who are!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

You know my fuel pump has enough capacity (Bosch pump 051 5 bar) And the Horsham stage 1 software is already addressed for the higher pressure, but I didn't use it til now, because there wasn't a boost controller. This chip is factory completely programmed for 1 bar over-pressure.
My biggest problem was the delivery from the tank to the pump, but now I will try to work with a connector at the underside, and the pump direct behind the tank. so that the pump has less problems with sucking the fuel up.