1970 SRL311 Resto-mod - SR20DET (Lucy)

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

beebo
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: 1970 SRL311 Resto-mod - SR20DET (Lucy)

Post by beebo »

Thanks guys! I can really see the finish line coming up. Hopefully I can drive it in 2023.

The dual caliper just seemed easier than trying to fit 300zx drum ebrakes to the ford axle and then all the mechanical cables and brackets. This is just adding more holes to the caliper bracket and routing the lines to a universal hydraulic hand brake instead of the pedal master cylinder.

As for the rear suspension, I'm really hopeful but really have no idea haha. I have plenty adjustability all around and a pretty good plan for adding a swaybar if needed.

Cheers,
Wade
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Love your build! Curious if you have enough clearance between water neck and water pump pulley for hose and hose clamp? On my sr20 car, I found an off the shelf NAPA hose that worked great with the stock water neck. FWIW. Pat
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Hey Pat, good eye. I wasn't able to hold everything in place and work the TIG torch, so I did it all on the bench. It ended up being really close to the belt like you said. I think there is enough clearance fo the hose and clamp, but I have another water neck in case I have to redo it. The bummer is that I purchased an aftermarket waterneck that was a big AN fitting, and had a silicone hose that fit perfectly. I wasnt able to create an alternator mount that cleared this solution though, so I scrapped it.

Just curious, what radiator did you use? Where was the outlet of your radiator?
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

I used a Champion u20 3-row radiator. Bolted right up with minor fitting issues. Spal fan. Have driven hard on hot days without any problems. Happy with the set-up. Pat
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

I may have to try that radiator at some point. I order what I swore was a 3 core civic radiator but nope. Its a 2 core. I have my concerns about its ability to cool. I took a closer look at the clearance around the belt. Got about 3/4". Should be good to go!
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by RustyBucket »

That is some wild rear braking you got going on !! I’d imagine you’d have a mags-mother-master-cylinder to squirt the juice!

It’s gone to stop like you dropped anchor.

Love to see a video of an auto cross run.
Not being as brave as you, I went with the ‘blue hand’ Volvo conversion. Meek in comparison, but I’ve got a stock 1600.
Good luck and keep the inspirational photos coming
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

RustyBucket wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm That is some wild rear braking you got going on !! I’d imagine you’d have a mags-mother-master-cylinder to squirt the juice!

It’s gone to stop like you dropped anchor.

Love to see a video of an auto cross run.
Not being as brave as you, I went with the ‘blue hand’ Volvo conversion. Meek in comparison, but I’ve got a stock 1600.
Good luck and keep the inspirational photos coming

Way back on maybe page 8 or 9, I show the master cylinder setup. It's a Wilwood reverse swing pedal box with three Wilwood GS Compact remote master cylinders fed by a Tilton remote reservoir. The brake pedal is connected to two of the master cylinders via an adjustable bias bar. One cylinder feeds the two front 4-piston calipers, and the other cylinder will feed two of the rear 2-piston calipers. The other two 2-piston calipers will be for an emergency/parking brake to be designed another day.

I hope to have some pictures of the brake line progress soon. I think I can have the clutch and main brake system done in a couple weeks. That will be a nice milestone to cross.
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Well guys, I wish I had more to update on. I have been super busy at work and probably will be for the next 6-8 months as I focus on a new project. There really has been very little work done on the roadster recently. I have been procuring a lot of the AN fittings for the fuel system and all the flare fittings for the braking system. I've done a little bit towards the main power wiring and bent up most of the brake hardlines. It takes me a while to convert all of the images to a small enough size to post and actually posting them, but I hope to get some images to y'all soon. I think any car work that I'm able to do will go towards maintenance on a 23 year old V8 BMW, so I have my hands full for the forseeable future.
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic

Post by fairlane292 »

I'm just assessing the SR20DET swap in my '68 1600 and aside from new motor mounts, like you guys I really would prefer not to be cutting the frame. Have you since or anyone else seen the way to avoid the notch for the alternator? Also, are there any additional instances where frame stock removal is necessary? Thanks, Jim
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Hey Jim, 100% you are going to have to notch the crossmember for oil pan clearance. You will also have to make some notches in the center X section of the frame for the transmission mount. As for the alternator, i'm sure you could devise some way to have some high mount or reverse mount alternator to avoid notching. I tried by mounting a mini 70A high and tight to the block. I still ended up having to notch the frame. If I had to do it over again, i would just by the Justy alternator mount kit from Spriso, make the already determined frame notches, and save myself the headache of trying to figure out a way around notching the frame. That's my 2 cents. Best of luck with your swap!
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

I'm in kind of a weird place with my job right now, and it has allowed for a couple days to dedicate to Lucy. All of the clutch and brake lines have been made with the exception of the hoses from the remote reservoir to the master cylinders. All of the fuel lines are done, as are the oil lines. I still have a little bit to do on the coolant lines to the turbo and the radiator hoses. I'm going to try and get some good pictures for y'all sometime next week

I may be switching jobs soon, and I'm going to try and time my start date at the next place to where I get a couple weeks in between jobs to really work on this thing. I've got the engine harness laid out from all the sensors and injectors to the ECU. If I could get two solid weeks to work on this thing, I feel like I could definitely have it driving this year. I'm so excited!
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Mattk »

You just described part of my dream vacation! Which is : my family all together in some exotic place for two weeks; while I stay home!
I would work on the car; watch movies LOUD with four letter words; I would be able to blame the dog for my fart, knowing that there would be no one there to challenge that assumption ☺️

As usual I am super jealous of the progress you’ve made. I’m really looking forward to seeing the pics of your progress.

Keep it up, there’s light at the end of the tunnel; or at least you’re a hell of a lot further than I am…so there’s that.
MattK
Andrew Griffith
Roadster Nut

Post by Andrew Griffith »

I'm building 2 at the moment..race car and a 67.5 for street (retro rod).you have put a lot work into this project. Keep up the great work..very nice job.
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Thanks guys. Yeah I told my wife i would use the time to fix all the stuff around the house. She was like, no... you're going to drink beer and work on your car all day every day, haha.
RustyBucket
Roadster Fanatic

Post by RustyBucket »

Been a long time scribe I pestered you . Hope all is going well for you and our family .. all healthy again..

How is the progress on your little blue beast doing?