Steel wheels not perfectly round?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Damian
Site Supporter

Steel wheels not perfectly round?

Post by Damian »

I recently bought some stock 14" steel wheels and hubcaps. The steel wheels had be painted and cleaned up. Over the weekend I got some tires put on and the installer said the steels wheel are not perfectly round. He was hard to understand, but I think is was describing the wheel barrel not being round. I have not had a chance to drive on them yet, but wanted to see if this is common for steel wheels? Could they have been damage by a pothole or similar?
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Steel wheels not perfectly round?

Post by notoptoy »

There are places that will true up steel (and mag) wheels. My 65 Chevy received aftermarket steelies that arrived bent, and I was able to get them straightened out for about $35 a wheel if I recall correctly.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

I think i read here somewhere that the wheels are lug centric and not hub centric.
Most if not all tire balancers use the hub hole to mount and spin the wheel/tire.
I would bolt each one on a front hub of the car and spin it to check.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

I had this problem working on Datsuns in the mid 70's mostly on B210's and 710's and others
It sure seemed as if Datsun put the straightest wheels on the front . As when they were rotated at 1K or 5 k then the customer came back with a steering shake I found that some wheels had a flat section where the rim was welded and some were better rounded ,like they were made by two different factorys
sometime repositioning the tire helps though
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

So, I took the datty out for a ride today with the steel wheels and new 185/60r14 Falken tires. It rides a hell of a lot better then the knock off wheels that were on it. The ride seems a little floaty sometimes at speed, but no vibrations or wobbles.
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

New shocks next?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Damian
Site Supporter

Post by Damian »

Probably so, but iirc the rear shocks are new(ish).

BTW I am running 30psi all around, the stock psi is low-mid 20's. Is that too low for modern tires?
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Depends on the ride and handling that you prefer. 30 in the front sounds fine. Try 28 in the rear. Play with it a little. My 185/65/15s have 24 in the rear and 28 in the front. But my seats are shot!
Being radial, the lower pressure will have more contact patch, which will give more rolling resistance,
Heat up quicker, poor fuel economy, softer ride.
Higher pressure = less rolling resistance, better fuel economy, harder ride, maybe even a spot of horesepower :wink:
David