Datsunparts.com BRE style air dam... how to mount it?

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Re: Datsunparts.com BRE style air dam... how to mount it?

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

The lip was added to hide the unsightly gap and to give more strength to the entire piece. Anyone not liking the lip can use a die grinder with a sanding disk and remove it. Obviously, having the lip is better than trying to add material to an original in hopes of greater strength. Yes the primer is rough in areas and needs work. This part should be treated as a lot of work to blend them into the body. We tried to make the arcs and shape of the piece to match fenders and a front valance of a car that did not have previous front fender/valance damage. Often these areas get pinched in or out with bondo applied thus changing the shape. Anyone not happy with this can send it back for refund. Just don't drill or change anything. Now this comment: "worship the ground Dean walks on" is out of line. I do not represent myself as one to be worshipped nor do I want anyone to view me in this manner. I do my best with these parts and sometimes projects work out better than others. I'm human, make mistakes like everyone and work to make things right. If you feel slighted send it back. I'm amending the notes at this part number to disclose and perhaps even discourage people from a do it yourself install.

Thanks, Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

It was not meant as a slight against you in any way. I respect and appreciate the work you put into these cars, and the parts you produce. The comment about worshiping the ground you walk on simply meant you are highly respected, and it is a rare thing for someone to speak badly of you. I was just very disappointed when I received the airdam, as I expected something very different based on what I had read. I think editing the description is a great idea, and will likely save the next buyer from misunderstanding what they are paying for. I have since forgotten and forgiven, much of that was written in the heat of the moment. The wonderful people on this forum have helped me out, and I now have a solid plan to install this part! I love the look, and it is worth the effort. I can't wait to see it on there and painted! I will also be putting another order through soon, so look for that!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Blogging, just like texting, is always a limited communication avenue. I am frequently surprised when what one thinks is a compliment or a show of support is misunderstood as something else or even a slight against someone. Even the best of friends have communication mistakes and misunderstandings... it is always best to check things out before jumping to conclusions or things get out of hand (not that this did!). I know for certain that I have misunderstood people here and elsewhere, and vise versa... if we remember that we are all here to help each other, we know where someone's "heart" is, and that can change how one reads what is written. The level of support here for all is something I love about 311s.org. Thanks for being such a great group of people!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

I didn't take it the wrong way. Worship is a strong word and held for a greater entity not of this human experience.
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Datsunparts.comInc wrote:I didn't take it the wrong way. Worship is a strong word and held for a greater entity not of this human experience.
Agreed! :wink:
But my point was that his Heart was in the right place...

I had an experience a while ago at work... I was talking to a co-worker who, based on her manner of dress, clearly followed an Islamic religion (I'm a Jesus follower myself). During our conversation, I inadvertently touched her in a supportive manner on her shoulder. Later I thought "Hmm, wonder if that was acceptable?" So, I approached her about it. She was totally cool, did inform me that no, it typically is not ok for another man to touch her other than her husband, but that she also recognized I was being supportive and did not know the specifics of her culture or beliefs, and therefore did not react in a negative manner... she saw where my heart was and therefore did not react negatively to me. Ah, if only the world would act more like this, we would have a lot fewer problems...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
AltxF4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by AltxF4 »

I know this thread is a bit old, but it wasn't too far down on the page here. What is the part number for this air dam on Datsunparts.com, I cannot find it on the site...I may be over looking it with the plethora of awesome parts on the site.
less frustrated
Site Supporter

Post by less frustrated »

I see these are old posts. I am competent in getting things so screwed up that I have to get help. Which is why my SRL is a hundred miles away awaiting the attention of a mechanic who, I hope, knows what he is doing. In general, I was buying parts after wishful thinking. I have now restricted myself to no new parts until the car is running and driving. Also in general, longest term upgrades are on the highest shelves in the garage. I bought my air dam from Dean and put it on the highest shelf. Maybe some day... However, I was thinking and remembering crewing in SCCA and the Z datsun had aviation screw clips for the fenders. The fenders never fell off and were easy to remove when necessary.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I used very small screws, washers and nuts.....IIRC #6 might be #8.
There is not much body spoiler overlap on most versions. Checked dean's website, but I could not find a picture of his version.
I used several very small vice grips to hold the spoiler to the body and some blocks of wool at the corner.
I first marked both the center of the car and spoiler. I balanced it on the blocks and clamped it in a couple of places. Then stand back and decide if its centered. If everything is OK, add an alignment mark. I started by marking three small holes in the spoiler, removing and drilling them. Then reinstalling, rechecking it centered and marking the body. Remove and drill the body. Attach with the #6 screws, clamp lightly with the small vice grips and repeat. I put screws about every 6".

It takes a while, bit it's no big deal. I also use VW vinyl fender welting between the body and the spoiler to hide the small gaps.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Your probably thinking of dzus fasteners. They work very well and allow easy removal of the spoiler for driveways or other low clearance issues. If there is enough room for them it's a good way to go.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I made some tabs, welded them to the insides of the fenders and valence, and use Dzus fasteners. Not the easiest way to mount it, but it works really well and takes all of a minute to install or remove.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Burbach
Forum Newb

Post by Burbach »

Who is selling the front spoilers now? I can't find them looking through the vendor lists.
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Burbach wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm Who is selling the front spoilers now? I can't find them looking through the vendor lists.
+1 Who, Where, and When.
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Burbach wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm Who is selling the front spoilers now? I can't find them looking through the vendor lists.
If Dean doesn't have them (have you called?) try calling/contacting Les at CDM:
https://www.facebook.com/classicdatsunmotorsports/
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

SLOroadster wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:24 pm I made some tabs, welded them to the insides of the fenders and valence, and use Dzus fasteners. Not the easiest way to mount it, but it works really well and takes all of a minute to install or remove.

Will
That a mush better solution to my 20 #8 bolts and washers
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Burbach
Forum Newb

Post by Burbach »

Alvin wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 pm
If Dean doesn't have them (have you called?) try calling/contacting Les at CDM:
https://www.facebook.com/classicdatsunmotorsports/
Thank you! I will call - I assumed they were gone because the website URL has expired. Being new here I did talk to Ralley and they said they stopped selling them years back.. I'm like, it's a important part yet an internet search only comes up with decades old mention of inventory..