Hitachi coil - CIZ-500

Here you can post pictures of those unidentified parts so others in the know can help.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Hitachi coil - CIZ-500

Post by markjhatch »

Hi,

got to the bottom of my parts bin and came across a new Hitachi CIZ-500 12v coil. The part# is 224333-L1110.

Some how I get the feeling I purchased this coil when I bought the Gary Boone distributor upgrade and that I was supposed to have installed it...

But the part number doesn't match the coil #'s that are currently listed in the install notes. Anybody recognize this coil?

The car appears to be running fine (at least for now) with a jumper across the external resister.

Thanks,

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Hitachi coil - CIZ-500

Post by mraitch »

one wonders why the resistor is jumpered as opposed to disconnected.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I provide a jumper with my EI kits, as it is easy to use, and some prefer to keep the original look. It's also easy to reverse should one decide to go back to points.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by mraitch »

Aha - good to know.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by markjhatch »

Sorry, I was unclear here... I think that the car has the original coil with the jumper.

I found this hitachi Coil (CIZ-500) in one of my parts boxes and trying to figure out whether I forgot to install it when I replaced the distributor. Unfortunately, I cannot find any part# for the coil installed in the car.

On the negative side, the top of the coil looks a little like there was some oil on it. Are the coils filled with a liquid to reduce temperature? (I suspect seeing anything that looks like a leak would be bad...)

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
GeoffM
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by GeoffM »

Coils are filled with oil. Leaks are bad.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000

Post by garth »

markjhatch wrote:.......

On the negative side, the top of the coil looks a little like there was some oil on it. Are the coils filled with a liquid to reduce temperature? (I suspect seeing anything that looks like a leak would be bad...)

Mark
The oil is a highly refined dielectric oil and is used to insulate the windings inside the coil. The coil's reliability and performance requires the coil casing to be oil-tight to prevent any moisture leaking in and causing an internal flashover. So if the casing shows signs of oil leakage the coil is NFG. Gently warm the coil 20 deg C with a heat gun. If more oil leaks its done.
Garth
_________
68' 2000