How to paint wheel trim?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

How to paint wheel trim?

Post by jmotsch »

Hey all I picked up these Z wheels tonight and I will be cleaning them up soon. What would be the best method of repainting the gold trim. Do I need to tape it off or make a template or can I brush paint them somehow? What paint should I use? Also, the wheels had a couple of mouse nests in them. what will get the urine smell out? Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jaguar X-type '05 daily driver
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: How to paint wheel trim?

Post by notoptoy »

I don't think you'll have to worry about the urine smell once you mount tires and are driving! :lol: if you can still smell that then, you have your face too close to the wheel. :-)
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jmotsch »

lol true but you underestimate the smell. I just picked the rim up with out a glove and had to wash my hands four times before I got the smell off. Mostly dont want them stinking up my garage.
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

A good scrub with some simple green followed with some backing soda, rinse off with Hose. Give them a good wipe down with Naptha and they are clean. The Naptha is so any contaminants that would impede painting would be gone.

Inside of the spokes you could just use a small brush.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jmotsch »

what kind of paint should I use to brush it on?
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Just get down to your local car store and buy that plasticoat stuff. spray it liberally into the lid and use a small foam brush. They leave no brushmarks and you are going onto a textured surface as well. any whoopsies can be wiped off with a rag dipped in thinner. When you are happy with the result clearcoat the whole wheel.

You may find when the wheels are clean you might not have to paint at all, so cleaning is your first step.
Edit:
PS, Work fast and change brushes often. The solvents melt the foam.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jmotsch »

sounds great. Thanks for the help.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Exactly what I had on my car, and done just like Roman suggests without problem, except that I did not clear coat the wheel so I could continue to polish them. I like the gold on the bottom of the "triangle" opening (between the spokes) on your wheels as mine were silver. I did paint the inside of the triangles black which for me helped the spokes stand out (on a black car). I actually will have a set of these up for sale with nearly new 195/60/14 Potenza tires on them... yes, all season, but a good all around driving tire.
BE SURE TO GET THE CORRECT LUG NUTS FOR THESE WHEELS WITH A ROADSTER PITCH.

I've thought about my wheels for a moment, and I think I actually painted that bottom triangle section that is gold on yours black as well... I'd have to go look. If you like I can shoot you a cellphone pic to an email or phone in a few days when I'm back home... PM me if you like.
Last edited by Gregs672000 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jmotsch »

Thats another question i had. The guy gave a coffee can of lugs to try out and i havent checked them yet but if i need them where woild i find the lugs?
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Unfortunately my brain doesn't always hang on to info once I solved the problem... I know others will have the name of the lug nut place and will likely be able to give you a link. They are a wide shouldered lug. I used "Craigar" (very thick) washers on the back because I have flares and used a wheel spacer with longer lug nuts and wanted the lug to go through the wheel (modified the wheel too). I just wanted to make sure you got the right ones, as my friend's wife lost a wheel a couple yrs back running the "iron cross" wheels due to lug nuts that seemed to fit but really didn't. We seriously could have been going to a funeral and not Shasta that year. We had just got done driving a twisty mountain road with cliffs etc and had worked our way to I5 when the lug nuts started flying off, then the wheel. Kim (Damn it Bill's wife) really handled herself well, even signaling as she pulled her Roadster to the side of the road on the brake drum. We all watched in amazement as the wheel traveled down the road at 60mph, crossing the grass median into oncoming traffic, yet missing it all and finally stopping in the bushes on other side of the road. Wheel retrieved, temporary lugs installed, underwear changed, and off to Shasta we went. Poor Kim! I think that this year was the first that her car arrived at Shasta without incident.

See my edit above if you want a pic, PM me if desired.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

BTW, the Z cap will not fit over the front bearing cap. I happened to have some black caps from another set of aftermarket wheels I had, but have never been able to find them since. I just got lucky with them. They were some off brand "Eagle" wheels, purchased nearly 30yrs ago. At this point I am not willing to give them up UNLESS the new (future) owner does not want them, and if that is the case then they are yours for shipping if desired.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
kenw
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kenw »

Greg,
I'll save you the time and effort.

I think this is your wheel.
wheelpic.jpg
I took several photos of your car at Shasta.
Love your car's bikini top.

He says while trying not to sound too creepy....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Williams
'67 1600
Janesville, WI
jmotsch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by jmotsch »

I am comparing pictures and i dont think that wheel is the same as mine. Similar but not quite the same.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Ya, those are my new wheels (Cosmics), they replaced the Zx ones. Thanks for the complements, and no, I'm not creeped out!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

I polished the lip and then painted the rest with a wheel paint found at my local auto parts store. I think this modernized the wheels. The center cap does fit, if you carefully flatten the dome of the dust cover. FWIW Pat