Going KA-T

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Going KA-T

Post by Gregs672000 »

You're doing really great work! Not sure if you have reinstalled the gas tank yet, but you may want to consider making sure your pick up always gets fuel. With carbs, I've experienced running out of gas while climbing a long hill only to fire it up and drive on for several miles when we were on the down hill side. Holley makes some kind of matt that attaches to some pumps that supposedly helps with this (posted yesterday under Fuel Pump option). I went with a surge tank to avoid this. You won't want to starve your turbo motor!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Alvin-
I was trying to get the motor as low as I could so I had to notch it. It work out, but I decided to put the alt over on the other side to make enough room for ac compressor and had to raise the motor 1.5” to have the alt clear the column, I didnt feel like cutting the column.

Greg-
Just realized that I didn’t show the whole pump with tray. I went with the Tanks Inc PA intank pump with tray with Walbro 255.
65ACF3DE-4EDF-4933-941D-2072C70B37F5.jpeg
As for the sender I also used a Tanks Inc universal sender. I got the float as close to center as I could. Their stuff is super easy to install and I’ll let y’all know how well it works in the future.

Cheers

Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Very nice!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well I haven’t done much on the car but I am starting to end fab and move on to assembly before I rip all apart to send out the frame for powder and the body down to Houston for paint/body work.

One thing that I have been doing is spending money! I finally went and bought the Motogadget mo.unit blue. This thing seems badass!!! And it’s tiny!!
AAB2C478-A38D-4C56-A68C-7720A7A66953.jpeg
04C620BE-F0A2-4FB4-BD32-51A2600C95DB.jpeg

I also got the mo.lock which is a close proximity RFID system as my keys if the Bluetooth auto on doesn’t work.
FA255345-D002-4CC5-A7F8-A692977FA38D.jpeg
2C290FD4-F413-4EB9-BBCF-0BDCC24CA753.jpeg
I really look forward to getting this in and running.

I’ve also purchased a waste gate and BOV. Just the BOV is on back order butt.......
47AF9C43-04D1-484D-8DC8-181C437D7724.jpeg
Well now I have things to do.... sorry I mean add to the list.

More to come
Matthew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

So my last post was Jan 24, since then I've gotten my first shot and will be getting the second tomorrow, yeah yeah!! and then two weeks after that I will get my first haircut in well over a year....my wife cant wait, she hates long hair!

As for the car haven't really had time, still teaching the kiddos from home and recently found out that we're moving...to a smaller temporary home so that we can cash out on our current home as the market here is stupid crazy, and find or build the forever home with the proceeds. As a result I probably wont get any work done on the car as it will be mostly packed till we get to the final house. I hope that the final house will have a big shop with AC.

Hope to get back to y'all sooner rather that later,
MattK
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

How did you handle the second shot? I just got my first one earlier this week with mild side effects. I hear yah on the TX housing market. It's absolutely bonkers right now. I hope you end up building something awesome with a sweet shop. Looking forward to seeing progress when you get back to it!

Cheers,
Wade
TurboRagtop
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by TurboRagtop »

Mattk wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am So nothing notable to report. I’ve pulled the rear end out and disassembled it. I’ve started the task of finish welding everything thing I can find and get to without rolling the frame on its side or over. I’ve found a drive line shop that will make sure the rear end is straight and true once I’m done welding. Only a $100 for peace of mind, totally worth it. I’d post pics but my welds look like s*#t. Yep I will be getting some good practice grinding 🙄😂

Cheers
Matthew
"My grinder and paint... make me the welder I ain't !!"

One of my favorite slogans
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
Mattk

Re: Going KA... No BEAMS....yet!!

Post by Mattk »

beebo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:05 pm How did you handle the second shot? I just got my first one earlier this week with mild side effects. I hear yah on the TX housing market. It's absolutely bonkers right now. I hope you end up building something awesome with a sweet shop. Looking forward to seeing progress when you get back to it!

Cheers,
Wade
My first shot was pretty rough, bad body aches and was in bed for two days, mind you I have underlying conditions which didn't make it any easier. The second wasn't so bad for me, but i was a bit more prepared. Still slept for two days...finally got a vacation from teaching my kids at home, the thing I have to do to get a vacation these days :roll: :lol:

Moving day is Saturdays. I hate moving!

TurboRagtop wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 pm
"My grinder and paint... make me the welder I ain't !!"

One of my favorite slogans
i love it! I'm gonna start using it! :lol:
MattK
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

How did the move go? You got a nice new space for the roadster?
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

beebo wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:55 am How did the move go? You got a nice new space for the roadster?
Well funny you should ask.....
windshield.jpg
I fucking hate moving!!

To moderators: this was appropriate use of colorful language. Really how else can this be truly and appropriately conveyed ?!
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

But on a happier note, I did get to “drive” the Beastie for the first time...

https://youtu.be/YYSidt7WUT8

But without a windshield you have to make a ridiculous face.

Just FYI : JT’s shocks up front and costume 4-link in rear ( I think it really handed the curve like it’s on rails!)🤣

And those rear wheels look awesome!
MattK
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

YeeHaa! Gravity can be a good thing
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
beebo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by beebo »

Oof that's a bummer, sorry to hear about that. Those wheels do look good back there. Congrats on the first drive haha!

Cheers,
Wade
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yes, wheels looked great!
I had an incident with a windshield moving a car on a trailer once, not going far, just down the road... like you I had the car mounted backwards on the trailer and forgot that the windshield was just set in there. All it took was a bit of wind and out she came! It was so truly one of those "DOH!" moments you just kick yourself for where you ask "What the hell was I thinking?! Oh, well, I clearly WASN'T thinking..." These days however I remind myself that even Tom Brady and my guy Russel Wilson throw interceptions...
I am sorry about the windshield though my friend... really does suck if it was a good one.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Well it’s been awhile. Still in the temporary house which my wife wants to HGTV ($$$) to make it into a forever home. Kids are in school but not for long as I live in a state with a &#$%$#+&-*$*$**&#&%$#$-#+%+%+#&-=/$;+........+%$%&#+%+-&-=$=-*-=#=%&-& governor. So they most likely staying home for awhile 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 and onto the back burner everything must go. Oh yeah and I got Covid cause I let my guard down, but fortunately for me I’m vaccinated so I had what was like a “light” case of the flu which is still very dangerous for me being immuno compromised but pales when compared to what’s going on around me...it’s horrible; not enough beds for kids! KIDS!

Well I bummed myself out now so I’ll add to this later. I guess I just needed to vent.... a little.
MattK