My other project: One year away from being a Datsun!

Z car, 210, 510, 521, 621,721 pickups and any thing in between.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: My other project: One year away from being a Datsun!

Post by notoptoy »

I haven't commented, but have been watching. Really nice work, but I'd really rather see the Roadster progress!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

Thanks guys! I didn't want to make anyone guilty, this thing has gotten plenty of attention on z31performance.com, and I know it's not really you guy's forte. It has been a blast fixing it up, though! It is actually much easier to work on than the roadster in many ways. I'm a youngster, so this is my sort of car. EFI, computer stuff, etc. I understand how to work on it better. The biggest thing though is the cost! I had a windshield installed in it for $200! Everything is so cheap it feels free in comparison to the roadster. I have WAY less money into this thing than the roadster, and have way more done, and the car is much nicer. It is very gratifying to actually make real progress.

Don't worry though, I have a plan. Step one, finish project DD 300zx. Step two, buy a house with a garage. Step three, work on the roadster properly while DDing the Z. My biggest issue with the datto is the scale of the work it needs in comparison to my workspace. I can only work for a day or two at a time, and therefore can't finish any big projects. That's why the KA swap hasn't progressed at all, and that's why the brakes were rushed. I need room so I can take my time. I can bang through stuff on the Z because all it needs is little stuff. LOTS AND LOTS of little stuff. I used to say it was in good shape. Actually working on it made me realize there was much more that didn't work than did. That is rapidly changing though!

You don't have to worry about me losing interest in the datto though. The z31 was a gateway drug for me, and was what ignited my passion for working on cars. This lead to the discovery of the Roadster via a History Channel video on the history of the Z. Once I saw that short clip, I was in love. It was my dream car from that day forward, and caused the Z to sit for 7 years as I went into full roadster mode. Working on the Z again has brought me back to my roots, and has helped center myself as I prepare to buy a house and open the next chapter in my life. My first car was a z31, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. The roadster is my baby though... It is my Mona Lisa. (just a sketch right now, to keep with the metaphor.) I will keep making it better, and the Z will likely be more temporary. I might have trouble giving it up though... Should I feel guilty for wanting both? lol
Last edited by Tomakze on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

And now for an update... (It is good to know people are actually watching!)

I got a lot more done today, but the improvements aren't the sort of thing that can be easily photographed. I tore the dash apart and replaced several bulbs in the gauge cluster (and discovered most of the ones that weren't lighting were just corroded.) Then I set about working on the wheel and wiper switch. The old switch would run the washers when it was in "fast" mode, so I replaced that with a new one from a junk yard. The Grant wheel in the car had no blinker cancel, so I found a cotter pin with the same diameter as the holes in the steering wheel adapter, cut them to size, and glued them in. Now the flashers cancel like they are supposed to! I also discovered the wheel wasn't tightened all the way down, which explained the clunk I felt in the wheel. In short, many problems were solved, and it is much more pleasant to drive. Another victory!

My girlfriend and I decided to take it for a spin at that point, and since the car is currently stored/worked on at my parent's house (I don't have a garage yet), my Mom snapped some pics. I thought a couple of them were pretty cool:

There will be plenty more!
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Cool, makes me want one again.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

So is she actually yawning in the first picture?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

notoptoy wrote:So is she actually yawning in the first picture?
HAHA! It looks like it... She was pretty tired. I'm not sure! I thought she was pointing, but... you could be right! We didn't know we were being photographed at the time, lol.
RFR wrote:Cool, makes me want one again.
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it! I'm so excited about this being my daily driver. Sure beats a tired '92 Accord!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

I have to say your Z31 is looking good. Especially considering what you started with as a baseline. It is nice when you can get help when you need it as well. Car and girlfriend sound like definite keepers. Keep posting-love to see your progress.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

S Allen wrote:I have to say your Z31 is looking good. Especially considering what you started with as a baseline. It is nice when you can get help when you need it as well. Car and girlfriend sound like definite keepers. Keep posting-love to see your progress.

Steve
Thank you! I haven't updated this in some time. I really should. It is currently back to being parked, since I bought a new car. This car was tons of fun, but not a practical daily driver. I bought a 2014 Ford Fiesta SFE to take over DD duty. The Roadster is back to stealing the limelight for me at the moment, so the Z gets to wait.

I'll have to add pics later, but before I paused working on the Z I did a tranny swap, so it is a 5 speed now, and added a Jim Wolf Technology lightened flywheel at the same time. I also added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a Walbro fuel pump. I finished restoring the metal headlight louvers shown in an earlier pick as well, and added a strut tower brace.

I have tons of parts waiting to be installed as well. I have a full poly kit, Tokico 9-way adjustable shocks, stiffer springs, new fuel injectors, a poly transmission mount, and an intake manifold spacer kit. Then she gets a boost controller for extra go power. I'm hoping it will have a modest 260hp or so at that point.

I love this car, but I am afraid to drive it. In my old Accord, my new Fiesta, and even the roadster, cops never hassle me. In this thing though, I was pulled over 3 times in three days. You can't tell me cops don't profile people, because I can assure you they do! They even treat me differently. The few times I have been pulled over in other cars, cops are always polite, and generally kind. In this thing, they great me with attitude before I even say a word. It pisses me off! I wish the car you drive didn't factor in so much, but it does. And by the way, while I do drive in a spirited way, I am not a bad driver, nor a crazy one. And I don't drive this any differently than the other cars. It just grabs more attention, and not always in a good way!
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

I'm a big fan of Z31s, despite their bad wrap when compared to early/later generations. I actually find them very attractive. We had one at the shop

257hp/340(!)tq to the wheels:
http://www.zcarblog.com/2011/11/03/perf ... 300zx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

That is SWEET. It needs a factory wing though, imo. They don't look right without one.