What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by bajaroadster »

radio consol.jpg
radio consol 2.jpg
Radio console was looking a bit rough, time to give it some love. I know that the high gloss paint is considered a bad choice because of the possibility of sun reflection blinding the driver, but I like the look. I'll wear my shades. My car is mostly stock but will never be a correct restoration, so I just go with personal preference. Nothing I've done can't be undone. The white paint on the lettering on the radio faceplate was faded or worn off in many places but I found some pens in my wife's art supplies that can write in enamel paint. Made it a breeze to redo them. I can post a picture and more info on the pens if anyone thinks it might be helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Super job, it looks brand new! Any info on the paint pens, I sure I lot of us would like to know.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

I mistakenly said the pens were enamel when actually they are acrylic. Brand name is Trandpter. (That is not misspelled
acrylic pen.jpg
pen.jpg
, although it looks to be.) As you can see, they are basically like using a sharpie. I used a silver one on the lettering and "trim" on the radio faceplate, and used a white one to refresh the A.M. radio frequency numbers. They are available on Amazon among other places. Certainly, easier than trying to hand paint such small items.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
TurboRagtop

Post by TurboRagtop »

I drove my '66 low windshield roadster from Phoenix, AZ to Solvang, CA and back over the weekend. Had a fantastic time with all the roadster nuts and the roadster ran like a new car 8 hours there and 8 hours back. I guess it's a daily driver now!
Karl Payne, Gilbert, AZ
1966 1600 roadster, 2.3L EFI Turbo Ford engine, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, T-5 trans, 300ZX big brakes, stand-alone Megasquirt ECU/TunerStudio
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

A lot of the old plastic had chrome on the highlights rather than paint. Molotow pens work great to refresh it.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yesterday, after expected family stuff didn't happen, I had time to run down to Delta Cam in Tacoma to pick up my rockers and Isky cam. I had hoped it would be possible to take a few thousands off the lift as I was concerned it might be tapping the block with the valve (due to the .531 total lift and larger valves). Unfortunately that can't be done, and the next grind down was the Racer Brown grind I was already running and not happy with (nothing wrong with that cam, just noticed a big difference when I swapped out the Isky, especially at 3000 or so). So, that afternoon I reinstalled the Isky (did the whole rocker arms wipe test etc, tested every valve for resistance when turning the crank with a single rocker arm in place to operate the valve at lash... no issues felt, whew!) and buttoned her up. Today, I did some testing. Conclusion? Man I love this cam! Took it to the test spot on the hill and nailed it at 3200... now it pulls strong, before it would be flat. I don't know what it is... it has the same duration (about the same as a B cam) but about 50 thousands more lift over the Racer Brown and for some reason it loves it. From what I've since read, lift shouldn't make THAT much difference. Unless there's something else to this grind... I don't know. But, I don't hear any bad sounds, and think what I used to worry was valve tapping might be piston slap (Arias Forged, so that makes sense. My engine is kinda noisy). This may just be a case where things come together as a system and for some reason lift is what this engine wants. Right now she feels super strong. We'll see what the dyno says.

Was nice to get out again. Warp drive, engage!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dynaguy

Post by dynaguy »

Added a little bit of "Cool Factor" to my sr20 resto mod. NOS day/night rearview mirror. Pat
Potato_Head
Roadster Newby

Post by Potato_Head »

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the info. I’ve been finding some odd pieces here and there. Guess the PO didn’t use the VIN number when ordering parts. The carb float needles were incorrect as well.

M
1965 Datsun 1500 SPL310 - basket on hold
1966 Datsun 1600 SPL311 - running and driving!
Potato_Head
Roadster Newby

Post by Potato_Head »

Today I took off the front brakes and sent the pistons off to be sleeved and rebuilt.

I’ll be back on the road soon!
1965 Datsun 1500 SPL310 - basket on hold
1966 Datsun 1600 SPL311 - running and driving!
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Gregs672000 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:54 pm Yesterday, after expected family stuff didn't happen, I had time to run down to Delta Cam in Tacoma to pick up my rockers and Isky cam. I had hoped it would be possible to take a few thousands off the lift as I was concerned it might be tapping the block with the valve (due to the .531 total lift and larger valves). Unfortunately that can't be done, and the next grind down was the Racer Brown grind I was already running and not happy with (nothing wrong with that cam, just noticed a big difference when I swapped out the Isky, especially at 3000 or so). So, that afternoon I reinstalled the Isky (did the whole rocker arms wipe test etc, tested every valve for resistance when turning the crank with a single rocker arm in place to operate the valve at lash... no issues felt, whew!) and buttoned her up. Today, I did some testing. Conclusion? Man I love this cam! Took it to the test spot on the hill and nailed it at 3200... now it pulls strong, before it would be flat. I don't know what it is... it has the same duration (about the same as a B cam) but about 50 thousands more lift over the Racer Brown and for some reason it loves it. From what I've since read, lift shouldn't make THAT much difference. Unless there's something else to this grind... I don't know. But, I don't hear any bad sounds, and think what I used to worry was valve tapping might be piston slap (Arias Forged, so that makes sense. My engine is kinda noisy). This may just be a case where things come together as a system and for some reason lift is what this engine wants. Right now she feels super strong. We'll see what the dyno says.

Was nice to get out again. Warp drive, engage!
Pretty much all of that cam/lift/duration info flies 50 feet over my head... but the fact that you've hit a sweet spot and are super happy with your car is awesome to hear. Very happy for you. Cheers!
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
DAC21

Post by DAC21 »

Potato_Head wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:04 pm Today I took off the front brakes and sent the pistons off to be sleeved and rebuilt.

I’ll be back on the road soon!
For future reference or others contemplating doing the same, it's cheaper to buy new inner pistons than to rebuild the old ones. Now if you are not going to run Dot 5, and may not be able to keep up with periodic bleeding to get the moisture out of the lines then rebuilding with SS sleeves might make more sense. Of course outer cylinders are NLA from Nissan so it is rebuild or $225+ from other suppliers.

Parts Geek has the inner cylinders and every couple months runs an extra 5% off sale for a day or two so if you are signed up for emails you will get the heads up. Also there are rebate sites like Top Cashback and Mr Rebates where when logged into your account and you link over to Parts Geek when you purchase you get another 3 to 5% back after a waiting period. Pretty close to $80 plus T&S each when Parts Geek runs their sale. The Pistons I bought from them a couple years back arrived in Nissan boxes and P/N even though you order for the 1960's Jaguar XKE application.
Screenshot_20230506-033222.png
Last edited by DAC21 on Sat May 06, 2023 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
TobyMan

Post by TobyMan »

Replaced valve cover gasket. Cork and rubber style from Dean.
Wilson, NY
1968 1600
TobyMan

Post by TobyMan »

PO had hogged out fog light holes so I painted up some bolts and washers
20230418_083445.jpg
20230419_080125.jpg
20230418_084627.jpg
Wilson, NY
1968 1600
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Those fog light holes are factory. There are some chrome “circles” that pop right in. If you want a body color, you could always paint those white. Still, you have a nice solution on your part.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
TobyMan

Post by TobyMan »

Quality work at the factory I guess :roll:
Works for me
Thanks
Wilson, NY
1968 1600