A reverse swap, on a motorcycle

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

A reverse swap, on a motorcycle

Post by datsunrides »

Thought I'd put up a pic of a recently completed project of mine. Kinda backwards from what you would do on a roadster, as I put an older engine in a newer chassis, mostly to take advantage of a much better chassis and brakes. The fact that the design of the bike is one of my favorites is only icing on the cake! :D So what I have is an engine from a 1976' Suzuki GT550A 2 stroke triple transplanted in a 1983 Suzuki GS750ES chassis. I figured I'd need to do some fab to get it to work, but I had no idea that I would basically have to remake the whole front cradle of the frame to get the motor to fit! The GT motor is a good 4" or so longer than the GS mill it replaced. Also got lucky and found a set of expansion chambers for a good price. Needed to cut them up a bit and adjust the cones to get them to fit, but much better (and a TON lighter than the stock setup). Need to figure out some rearsets, then time to it break down to clean it up and paint everything up nice and purdy. Hope to be making smoke again by spring.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
dbrick

Re: A reverse swap, on a motorcycle

Post by dbrick »

2 strokes are scary. I rode a 750 for about 100 yds, went back to my 650 turbo, it felt safer. The newer chassis makes alot of sense, better brakes and bigger tires are nice. Looks like it was meant to be in there.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
datsunrides

Post by datsunrides »

Thats part of the fun of a 2 stroke, light switch power! :lol: Actually, the Suzuki's are pretty tame compared to the Kawasaki triples, more torquey than all out power. However, a few hours with a die grinder on the ports can change that. :twisted:

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

A nice docile 305 Super Hawk will cover me just fine.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit