What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Post by dbrick »

FergO2k wrote:Hey Robert, I just remembered something, and it might have already been undone/redone, whatever.
It is now difficult to find over-the-counter stock oil filters for the U-20, and I seem to remember way back when that Victor found out that if you cut the drainback tube inside the oil filter mount back approx 3/8", then a stock 5.0 Mustang oil filter fit perfect.
This may have ben undone some time back, since the tube is shorter it may be that a stock oil filter was put on.
next time you have the fileter off measure from the base to the top of the tube and let us know... well, me in particular, because I am thinking of doingthe same "amputation" of the tube in order to be able to get oil filters easier.
I was using Napa 1516, Wix 51516 and a stock Nissan tube, if that helps.
Smaller diameter and a bit taller then the standard Ford V8 filter

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

I have been busy , I have re-strapped the passengers seat and new foam as well.
I have put more Dynamat in as well as 8mm thick jute felt underlay, then 3mm thick rubber sheet, then the carpet. I put holes in both the underfelt and rubber so that the press studs would hold everything together and I put Stainless steel spacers under the press studs with stainless screws to cope with the extra thickness.
So both sides footwells and inside firewalls have Dynamat, jute felt and rubber, drivers side has double Dynamat, I bought some extra dynamat type sound deadener that was a little cheaper but I don't think that it is as good a quality, just for anyone going to buy some.

The tunnel has Dynamat, felt and carpet but not rubber and no felt next to the accelerater pedal.

I have also installed the heater with new butel rubber to seal the inlet opening, new heater hoses and all new rubber grommets in the firewall, although in these pictures they were not all installed yet.

Here is the temporary fix for the grommet under the cigarete lighter.

I have installed retractable seat belts that were made for convertable cars and they work great, I will have to take some pictures and post them soon.

Soon the dash can go back in, I am just waiting for my new glovebox to arrive and be fitted first.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Well yesterday I finished my backup Bonnet or hood release setup, I wanted it to not be very obvious.

I bought a cable with handle from the UK ebay site for about $6 Aud, it was for a landrover.

It has a black outer cable cover and a similar handle with a car drawing on it to the original.

I mounted it on the passengers side in the same spot as the drivers side, there is a hole there already for the RHD car, I had to open up the hole to 12mm to accept the handle.

Because the cable is from a car that has a catch at the front of its bonnet (hood) the cable is longer which works out great for this job, it runs up under the dash to the drivers side and pokes through the same grommet as the original.

When the cable comes out through the firewall it has to be held so I made an aluminium bracket that goes over the original and is held in by the same screw, it also has to be the same distance down from the original cable as the fitting on the catch lever otherwise they will bind when being used.

When it is set up correctly whichever cable is not being used has to stay still and not more whether it is the new one or the original, this way they do not bind and also not wear out.

In this picture you can see that if I pull open the catch lever with my finger neither cable moves.

I made another bracket that is mounted through the other slot type hole in the lever and used a cable screw type end to finish off the cable.

The inner cable had to be shortened but the outer was just right and as far as drilling new holes I only opened up the hole for the handle.

By the way the new one works much easier than the original as well.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

Nice .. Made me think of putting a boot release for the rear there !!! Hmmm
I have the old wire attatched through the firewall backup .. But yours much prettier !!
Looking good !
68 Datsun 2000 solex carbs matching number ... Now with long pipes :twisted:
67.5 number 662
2005 Porsche 997 SOLD :(
62 karmann ghia restored SOLD :(
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

I have been working on the rear brakes and replaced the rear shoes with standard ones.

As you can see the linings were cracked, I don't know if this is a common thing.

The previous shoes were fitted the wrong way around, when I purchased my shoes from Lou M he told me to look out for this as it is a common thing, I am glad that he mentioned it as I was just going to replace the shoes in the same way the old ones were fitted.

Here are the new ones, you can see that the rear shoe fits over the handbrake lever so it can't be mixed up. It is the front one that is confusing, the way they are fitted here is correct with equal pressure on both sides of the drum if you look at where the linings are.

I have cleaned the paint off the drums and here is a pic comparing to drum, roadster on the left.

I have my rims back from polishing and new tyres fitted on Christmas eve, they are 195-55-15"

The wheels weigh 6kg each without tyres and 15kg with tyres, the rears are 15"x7" with +15 spacing.

I am fitting a heat shield and have started plating some parts in the engine bay, here is a progress photo with more to come later.

I am also replacing the engine mounts as they seem to move quite a bit and as most of the rubber is old I am replacing as I go.

I am replacing the front brake pads and have the calipers apart waiting on new rubber parts for that as well.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for posting the pics of the brakes. I suspect that mine may very well be wrong but it has been ages since I looked. On my to do list!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Well now I have fitted new kits to the front calipers and new pads, I also did some plating while I was down there.

When I was putting back together the calipers I had plated the bolts that hold the pistons to the main assembly and I thought I should check if that was ok so I read up on it on google about zinc plating hydrogen embrittlement, I do not trust that they are safe now so I replaced them with "unbrako" bolts and these really cool washers called "Schnorr washers", here is a pic.

I have also plated and fitted a factory four way fuel splitter so that I can run the fuel-carby cooling with the return fuel line that the 70 model has.

I want to run two filters with Mikuni rams inside and here is a pic of the clearance problem I have.

It took a while, but Lou realised that there are a couple of spacer plates that are missing from the left hand engine mount, if I make these spacers I might get enough clearance for the air filter assembly.

here is what the rams look like inside the filters, although they do need to sit down inside a bit more.

I have put the dash back in and hooked up the wiring. I turned her over and after it got some fuel into the carbs she started again, first time in a few months and so far no more smoke from under the dash which is very exciting.

Oh yes I also put a kit in the fuel pump, I am working my way around the engine and fitted the new engine mounts as well.

I have worked on her every day of these holidays and she is coming along nicely.

Lou M. has been an amazing help and source of knowledge, he has amazing patience as well, so thanks Lou.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Looking good. I too would want the stacks down a bit further into the filters as the top cap does sit a bit close to the top of the stacks. You shouldn't lose much or anything in flow by shortening them, and may gain overall. It is my understanding that lengthening the intake track (in this case with taller stacks) helps improve low end torque but the top end doesn't care. My goal with stacks is to improve the flow, which a gradually radiused stack like this does, better than the more abrupt ones that Dellorto and Weber tend to use. Would love a set of the short, fully radius stacks that are out there but at $60 a piece... or was it $30... still too much when I have good taller ones already!

Making progress!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Thanks Greg,

The ram tubes are sitting on top of the original square cross section tubes, once these are removed the larger rams will sit down another 8-10mm which will be just right.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Dave_Pa
Site Supporter

Post by Dave_Pa »

Rob
I've been dying to hear more on where your car is.
Any updates for us to drool over?
Dave
--Dave
67.5 1600 originally Sora Blue, now Yellow...
1972 BMW 2002 Colorado. (the color, not the state)
1999 BMW 318ti (daily driver for most of the year)
1989 BMW 325ix (the best winter sled and the first BMW I ever drove).
2004 BMW X5...happy wife...
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Ok Dave here we go, here is a picture of the spacers I made for the drivers side engine mount.

The rear springs were competition springs that had only 10mm of downward travel before the bumpstops were touching so when someone sat in the car it was sitting on the bump stops in the rear which meant that really it had no rear suspension which I find ridiculous. So I have installed a set of Lou's single leaf springs that have the ends rolled the other way so that we could have a slightly lower stance than the normal single leaf springs.We also used a 20mm alloy spacer under the axle. These springs are thick in the center and thinner towards the ends and are powder coated.

I got some early model rear bumpstops from Lou which are 10mm shorter.

We bought some Koni shocks from Japan and installed them.

The rear springs raised the car 30mm, so with the extra 10mm from the bump stop we achieved 50mm of down travel before it bottoms out.

This is what it was like before ....

And this is how it is now.

The stance is much better and the ride is fabulous now.

I installed a new speedo cable as the old one was broken and when I went for a drive the speedo was freaking out making a terrible noise and when I was just moving slowly it was saying 70mph so I removed the speedo and pulled it apart, I took it to my work where I could look at it under a microscope and used a syringe with oil in it to get into the places that needed lubrication.

I put it back together and installed it and it runs beautifully without jumping.

The water temp gauge isn't working as well as the fuel gauge so I replaced the water temp sender.

This didn't fix the problem so I will replace the instrument voltage reg with one that Lou modifies with new electronic regulator and see if that helps.

I found that not all the screws for under the dash were there and that the dash and console need to be done up tight to aid in reducing body flex. I found a supplier in the UK on ebay that has some that are very close to the originals.

They can supply them in different lengths which is handy as some of the other interior fittings use this size screw.

Now moving up to the front I am going to use the springs that are there, comp ones I believe, but have a set of new Koni's that have been re-valved by Lou to install, these have different valving to the new ones being offered lately.

To try to get the roll center back to where it should be (considering that the front is lowered) we have a set of new lower wishbone inner pivot spacers.

With these the pivot will be flipped, or rotated 180deg and the spacers fitted with new longer bolts which will raise the pivot point of the wishbone by about 8-10mm. This should bring the angle of the wishbone back to close to standard. Then a wheel alignment will need to be done.

Next was one of Lou and Hardy's front cross braces.

This brace is beautifully made and the way that it fits is quite amazing, it does need to be adjusted to fit in some of the holes but each car will be different and it needs to be fitted so that there isn't any chance of bolt holes having the ability to have sideways movement.
This strengthens the front of the car and tightens up the steering.

So it is getting closer to being ready for registration, I am hoping to do the 12hr drive to the Nationals in Mildura in June.

You know you can reply to this thread, I seem to get 120 people watching this but only a few commenting.....

Cheers Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

First I had ever seen of that brace, very interesting, I like that. Love the single leaf springs, and the new "posture" is great.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

LOVE those mono leaf springs w/ the eyes on the correct side. I want!

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Dave_Pa
Site Supporter

Post by Dave_Pa »

Rob,
You just made my morning. MAN that is really coming together well. What is with the front brace? I've never seen one like that. i know for my 318ti they recommend a brace like that (from the m3's), but it's under the car, not in front of the car. you will have to let us know more about that.

That mono is something else. I agree that it looks much better and i'm certain has to ride better.

Keep up the great work. Your posts are fantastic and filled with great ideas.

Best,
Dave
--Dave
67.5 1600 originally Sora Blue, now Yellow...
1972 BMW 2002 Colorado. (the color, not the state)
1999 BMW 318ti (daily driver for most of the year)
1989 BMW 325ix (the best winter sled and the first BMW I ever drove).
2004 BMW X5...happy wife...
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Wow Rob, you have done very well, and great set of pics documenting this for us all.
Thanks much (one of the many subscribed, with very fond memories of that car)
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA