Scheduled engine transplant

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ChrisS

Scheduled engine transplant

Post by ChrisS »

My hero Notoptoy plans to perform a transplant of my 1600 5-speed currently in the '67 Poor Little Thing into my '68 roller project on Friday the 6th. He will be assisted by me and my son. This just might be the best entertainment in the region if anyone wants to help, kibitz, or drink screwdrivers and laugh.

Seriously, any and all are invited if interested and available. We plan an "early start" TBA (not sure what is early to Tom) because of the heat. We have a pool and plan on supplying lunch and hydration for all present.

I live in Winston Salem, NC. Pictures will eventually be posted on 311.org. :smt006
Garm
Roadster Enthusiast

Re: Scheduled engine transplant

Post by Garm »

^ THAT would be fun. Sadly, I won't be able to make it from SoCal.
1969 Roadster 1600-ish #26244 "Spike"
---------------------------------
OS GIKEN LSD $1720
AASCO light flywheels $398.95
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Early depends on how late Thursday night ends up being :-) But since everyone I know is working so it shouldn't be too bad!
Velo - if you're reading these, you should drop by.
Cole??
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Too bad the genius IT guys on this board can't figure out a live feed from the festivities.
I know you are out there.... :?

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I don't know about that Linda, kind of like watching paint dry!
I would imagine that if you took the opening alley sequence of "King of the Hill" you have a pretty good representation of what could happen!
I couldn't get this to embed, but here is the idea:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

The patients are prepped. Donor (Poor Little Thing) on right. Recipient (as yet unnamed rolller) on left. Awaiting Dr. Tom. Transplant scheduled for "sort of around 9:00 in the morning" tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Quick update:

Tom, my son, and I spent from 9:00am til 11:00pm yesterday working on the car with a five minute break waiting in line at Wendy's. If the temp didn't reach 100 it was within 2 or 3 degrees for about 8 of those hours.

Cut to the end...engine was bolted in at 11:00. Tom had lots of sins of the PO to correct and also ran all my brake lines! I mainly stood around holding things and asking noob questions. Spent much of today cleaning up the mess we made because of inadequate lighting and my general lack of organization.

Pictures to follow.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I have to say that Chris has amassed an amazing stash of parts. Everytime we were missing something, we had a selection of 3 engines, 4 carb set-ups, 3 transmissions etc., etc., etc., to choose from to scavenge the needed parts.

Chris has yet to drive one of his two roadsters, and yet his, and his son's, commitment to this project is commendable. I am almost (ok, maybe a little more than) jealous at his store of spare parts - and even more impressive is the fact that he has gathered this in a very short time. We were able to pick and choose to put together a very respectable assembly of clutch/clutch bearing, throw-out arm, fuel pump, gaskets, mounts (both engine and transmission, various nuts and bolts and more in a compilation that allowed us to keep plowing along and to "complete" the project for the day. And while it was a very long day, I do want to point out that we had the motor out of the donor car in about an hour and a half. And once we got the engine ready to go into the recipient car, it only took about an hour or so to get to a stable stopping point.

They have a few significant tasks ahead of them but I definitely see a drivable roadster in the not too distant future!

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Good on ya for helping him get it done!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

As promised, a short pictorial of the transplant:

Tom, my son Dylan, and me.
3stooges (Small).jpg

Tom working on brake lines.
brakes (Small).jpg

Removing motor (elapsed time less than 2 hours).
donor (Small).jpg
enginout (Small).jpg
pre (Small).jpg
tom (Small).jpg
in (Small).jpg
Dylan at the wheel!
dyl (Small).jpg
Thanks again to Notoptoy for his tireless effort, great advice, and generous donations in materials.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Chris:
Looks like you got a lot more done on it since Friday night - moving right along!
Soon it will be running.
You should have added a caption inthe picture with Dylan in the car - "Vroom...Vroom!!"

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Just an update... To get her started (I'm not saying that she will actually move), My list includes:

*Waiting on transmission cross member support- should be here by mid week.

*Have all the major parts attached with exception of heater hose. Will probably shut off connections as I never plan to drive her when I need heat!

*Need to add oil to carb floats (Marvel Mystery oil?)

*Need to find out why the transmission leaked this week (seems to be leaking at the drain plug but it is quite tight).

*Need to drop gas tank and see how rusty it is.

*Need to find one of my radiator caps (!)

*Need to spend some time figuring out the correct electrical connections so I don't fry something when I try to start her.

So, my fantasy is that Notoptoy has a couple (OK, a few) more hours to devote to the resurrection of another 311 so that we can get this baby moving by Fall.

On a side note, a friend gifted me these 240z wheels (OK, I cut up some trees for him). Pretty sure they will work (but definitely would need longer studs) Pictures show after I cleaned/degreased one and after preliminary polishing. I like the look.
P1000443 (640x480).jpg
P1000442 (640x480).jpg
Picture of engine bay as of today:
P1000444 (640x480).jpg
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

Very nice and clean. I like it. Great work.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Lookign good Chris, and yes, I will be happy to help, just have to find the time!

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

When you "drop tank" - check the floor in the boot/trunk - since the back end of the tank is hooked to the body - the trunk floor is prone to cracking from around the fuel filler hole - always a good idea to actually link the rear of the brackets to the frame rather than reinstalling on the body.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California