Rattling center caps... - Best way to fit?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Rattling center caps... - Best way to fit?

Post by markjhatch »

The center caps that came with my mags, are long gone, probably 3 owner ago... So I replaced them with the closest set of generic chrome caps (topped off with the round "Datsun" logos you can get on ebay :-) )

My problem is that they are metal, and slightly loose. I suspect that if I wound a couple layers of electricians tape, I could create a slight pressure fit and at least temporarily eliminate the rattle. However, I suspect that there will be some rattle still and eventually the tape will come off for weather, etc. (Could also try duct tape...)

Has anybody else seen this problem? I was thinking that RTV might be a more permanent solution and it could withstand the heat generated by the brakes, etc. down there.

Thanks

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Rattling center caps... - Best way to fit?

Post by notoptoy »

What about some JB Weld on the cap tabs, let it set up good then reinstall?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

E-tape did the job. Do enough that it is an interference fit, then whack it in with your palm. The rim squishes it in, heat only degrades the adhesive, which since it is squished is not an issue. 8+ years, still going stong and silent. I can twist a few of them when washing, but no rattles.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by markjhatch »

Had a roll, so trying first the electricians tape solution (love JD Weld, but has just used my last set of tubes). 6 wraps is a light push and 7 required a little encouragement with a block of wood and hammer. I suspect that in 6 months I will be redoing the wheels with only 6 wraps.

Thank you for the suggestion! Think it is going to work.
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I used Kentucky Chrome, duct tape, on the rear, on the front I removed the split ring from the inside and put it on the outside and then more tape.. Mine were plastic made to push-in from the outside, this converted them to go in from the back. Couple years later tape was in basically the same condition as day 1.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit