Today's solex maintenance ...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Today's solex maintenance ...

Post by Down under 311 »

Pogo4 - wow that's a fair amount of difference between mains and air ! With your 60 idles how many turns are you out ? I suppose you don't have an 02 sensor... Does it pull strongly through the entire rev range? Any hesitations ? How does it go on a hill start on a hill (if you have colour tuned it it should be good for idle.. Just interested in the transition between idle and acceleration and Greg has been talking about
Great to have the cars running we'll... Drove mine to golf today.. And is humming beautifully... Idles like a twin cam !
68 Datsun 2000 solex carbs matching number ... Now with long pipes :twisted:
67.5 number 662
2005 Porsche 997 SOLD :(
62 karmann ghia restored SOLD :(
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

It has to be that he either mis typed the number or mis read the jet...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Solex68 wrote:
SLOroadster wrote:His thought was that my cam timing has backed off. That would explain the loss of torque, the power band still climbing at 7200 rpm and the lean condition on the top end.
Do you have an adjustable upper cam timing gear or are you saying the gear jumped a link?
I have an adjustable gear, but I think it was set wrong to start with. The chains can't jump a tooth because both tensioners are shimmed, and everything was new when the engine was built. The chains don't have enough slack in them to even come close to jumping a tooth. This version of the motor has never been as strong as the original build (bottom end done in '04, head in '06) I think I can get a little more out of it with a little more cam advance, but I can't get anymore without getting creative with the timing gear. We got to about 30 thousandths advance, Dave was hoping for at least 35. The motor is already prone to pinging so perhaps I should be happy where its at. I don't need to increase the cylinder pressure any more.

With the 200 airs, it sort of feels a little soggy in the top end now, but I haven't really been able to hold it up there for longer than a second for fear of being pulled over. We'll find out Sunday on the autoX course.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
pogo4
Roadster Newby

Post by pogo4 »

That was a typo, my air jets 205 fuel jet 150, pilot jet 60 idle mixtures are between 1 and 1.4.
Went to Port Alberni on the weekend over the pass 7 to 8% grade and she boged at the botom of the hill in 3rd gear around 3500 rpm, cleared up at 4000. Still not 100%. Runs great otherwise.Purchased a stowich O2 guage (el cheapo) and had a O2 bung installed a few weeks ago, have not installed the guage yet, I guess thats next to remove the guess work on what the carbs are doing in the transistion range.
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

Pogo4
At 1 turn thinking your idles are too large and therefore your transition is too rich... Also check where your accelerator pumps are set .. Setting mine to the lowest setting greatly improved acceleration ..ps where are you located ? Near sea level or elevated ?
Cheers
68 Datsun 2000 solex carbs matching number ... Now with long pipes :twisted:
67.5 number 662
2005 Porsche 997 SOLD :(
62 karmann ghia restored SOLD :(
pogo4
Roadster Newby

Post by pogo4 »

Thanks for your comments mate, I am near sea level and my accelerator pump setting is in the middle pin location. After installing new throttle shafts I started with 57.5 pilot jets and my idle screws were ~ 1.5 turns open which I thought was too much and went to 60's. At what idle mixture settings do you consider making the change. I have about 2 weeks left on my cars insurance then it gets put away for the winter.
Running out of time to play as I have some other projects on the go. May get one more kick at the carbs.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Glad you got the O2 set up as that will really help you figure out what they are doing and where. Typically, you want to run in the 13-14 range at cruise, mid 12s on full acceleration, idle in the 13s if you can. Dropping below 12 will make it bog down, above 15 and you may get some knock, and leaner than that and we start worrying about detonation which is different from knock or ping.

There are so many factors that contribute to getting the right set up that the O2 sensor becomes nearly a required tool for both gross and fine adjustments. Old fashioned methods are good, but nothing beats having this kind of direct and RPM specific data. Well worth every penny. Sometimes it can be frustrating (see my posts!), but the rewards of getting it right are considerable (see DU 311's posts!). If you don't get to it this season, we'll still be here next year to help and cheer you on! God knows I'll need it!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA