Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Re: Today's solex maintenance ...

Post by SLOroadster »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick trip through the country. It does have a new stumble right off idle, I think the lowest setting on the accelerator pump is too lean. I've always run it in the middle in the past.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

so how have you guys got the camera set up - off the roll bar i bet...
68 Datsun 2000 solex carbs matching number ... Now with long pipes :twisted:
67.5 number 662
2005 Porsche 997 SOLD :(
62 karmann ghia restored SOLD :(
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Down under 311 wrote:so how have you guys got the camera set up - off the roll bar i bet...
Yes, I have a camera mount on the roll bar mounted on my cross bar where it meets the horizontal harness bar.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

Down under 311 wrote:so how have you guys got the camera set up - off the roll bar i bet...
That day I had mine mounted on the outside of the windshield. With a large suction cup.
SLOroadster wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A quick trip through the country. It does have a new stumble right off idle, I think the lowest setting on the accelerator pump is too lean. I've always run it in the middle in the past.

Will
Nice! And right from your front yard. Nice countryside. I was surprised to see so few people. I liked your sunvisor BTW, and the left turn towards the end, the car sounded great.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Skyman wrote:
That day I had mine mounted on the outside of the windshield. With a large suction cup.
SLOroadster wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will
Nice! And right from your front yard. Nice countryside. I was surprised to see so few people. I liked your sunvisor BTW, and the left turn towards the end, the car sounded great.
I live on the outskirts of town. That was pretty much my drive to work everyday. As for the sun visor, not even the real deal would have been much help. I couldn't see a thing.

I think I'll be pulling the carbs back off either Friday or Saturday to reset the accelerator pumps to the middle setting. I changed them down to the lowest setting to see how it would run, and all I've done is introduce a low rpm stumble that is irritating. If I put my foot in it, it stumbles hard but if I gradually roll into it, its fine. Back to the middle setting it goes.

Will
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

Will.. i found the stumble i had was from over fueling at accelleration - hence changing to the lowest setting reduced that and enabled a clean 12.5-14.5 rang under accelleration... so is your stumble from being lean?

LOL should film my drive to work.. you would mainly see the back of buses and cars as i get stuck in traffic ! no nice winding roads for me.. have to head the otherway up Mount Cootha and out the ranges ..mmmm late evening drive ... mmm :smt003
67.5 number 662
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Down under 311 wrote:Will.. i found the stumble i had was from over fueling at accelleration - hence changing to the lowest setting reduced that and enabled a clean 12.5-14.5 rang under accelleration... so is your stumble from being lean?

LOL should film my drive to work.. you would mainly see the back of buses and cars as i get stuck in traffic ! no nice winding roads for me.. have to head the otherway up Mount Cootha and out the ranges ..mmmm late evening drive ... mmm :smt003
I'm guessing yes on my stumble being lean since it wasn't there before I futzed with the carbs.

Onto more interesting news, I found my book with the formulas to get a baseline for carb setup.
Image As you can see from the notes that I've scribbled in, that I tried the formula, but it didn't work for me. It was WAY lean. Still, its a basic place to start. It might work better for a more stock motor. The formula is for an L series motor, but, like I said its a place to start. As you can see, the math said I should be running 160 fuels and 180 airs, however my motor wants 195 fuels and 220 airs.

Will
Down under 311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Down under 311 »

Thats great.. interesting that almost correct for my car in relation to mains and airs although i go a little leaner at 155.. I gather the difference from stock it going to be based primarily around flow and exhaust... my exhaust is a 2inch (no rattles) system, where as possible some larger systems would allow higher flows i gather.
also my engine from memory is only 20thou bored.. so capacity would play a role in the equation as well i gather...

.. still facinating why there are such variances between cars..
thanks for the image Will..

Greg - those jets there yet??
67.5 number 662
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Down under 311 wrote:
Greg - those jets there yet??
<sigh> No, no notice yet, no jets...and beautiful sunny days here now too! :roll:
Soon I hope...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
spyder
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

The different holes on the acc. pump shaft determine how long the enrichment fuel is added until the airflow is enough to engage the main venturies. I had my setup tweeked for a basically stock motor. Flat top cast pistons, a little head work and an Isky cam. When I assembled my current engine, it has forged .060 popup pistons massaged into the combustion chamber, it is balanced and has an aluminum flywheel and a bunch of other improvements. It would knock and stumble if I hammered it. I had to enlarge the the acc. squirters so it would put more fuel in faster while the engine was revving up.

Skyman

Post by Skyman »

spyder wrote:The different holes on the acc. pump shaft determine how long the enrichment fuel is added until the airflow is enough to engage the main venturies. I had my setup tweeked for a basically stock motor. Flat top cast pistons, a little head work and an Isky cam. When I assembled my current engine, it has forged .060 popup pistons massaged into the combustion chamber, it is balanced and has an aluminum flywheel and a bunch of other improvements. It would knock and stumble if I hammered it. I had to enlarge the the acc. squirters so it would put more fuel in faster while the engine was revving up.

Nice. Is that a ITG air filter backing plate? I want some of the short ram tubes.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Phil:

Speaking with the guys at Classic Datsun last week I found out that the 50mm Solex are different than the 44's. The 44's have a pump jet that can be changed. The 50's just have a pump jet directly into the carb, so the only adjustment is the pump rod setting.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
spyder

Post by spyder »

"Nice. Is that a ITG air filter backing plate? I want some of the short ram tubes."

Yes! I placed wedge spacers on the clutch master to angle it to gain some extra space for the filter.

spyder

Post by spyder »

James: I looked at my copy of the PHH service manual. I see what you are talking about. That looks way easier to change than mine. Mine squirts out of a hole in the small venturi, well it's more like a blast.