Lightened flywheel or stock on stroker?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Kryptonite

Lightened flywheel or stock on stroker?

Post by Kryptonite »

Hello all,

I've got a 1600 stroked motor/trans coming out of my early '67 (again) this week for a sheared roll pin in the trans, so I want to ask something that has been bugging me for awhile.

My car has about 10.5 to 1 compression and a set of Weber 40dcoe's on it. Idle quality is marginal at best, and it has been dynoed so the jetting is good. I also have Gary Boone's EI distributor, which is super.

How much does the flywheel momentum contribute to idle smoothness? Mine is significantly lightened; I'm not sure exactly how much, but its dished out pretty good. I've been told that a stock flywheel would help the idle a bunch.

I know the benefits of a lightened flywheel, but I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the relative benefits of trading the lightened unit out for a stock unit? I do not autocross, but like the way she winds up quickly.

If the stock wheel would help the idle quality a bunch, and only affect wind up speed a little, I would consider it.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Bill
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Light weight flywheel

Post by SLOroadster »

I just put an 11 lb flywheel in my solex 2L and it idles resonalbly well (I think my compression is nearing 10:1). The stock flywheel is 26 or 28 lbs and will smooth things out but wont rev nearly as fast. I you pick your idle up a little it should smooth things out.

Will