garage tool tricks and tips

Share your experiences here with those favorite tools or tips that work well.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: garage tool tricks and tips

Post by mraitch »

got it - (they are SUPPOSED to be HEX) when replacing - clearly get new ones (remember they should be SAE ) - and likely if you 'chase' both bolt and hole, you can probably turn by hand for much of the distance.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

that's what I got .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

just wrong - supposed to be 7/16 hex with phillips insert! - and depending upon year - should be painted black! just like the twisties.
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 pm just wrong - supposed to be 7/16 hex with phillips insert! - and depending upon year - should be painted black! just like the twisties.
yep wrong and difficult . But I got that sucker out now .. whOoHoO . But now how did I do that ? haha it's got to go back in before I can drive it, and my Lexus is lent out for a couple weeks now .. I didn't think this all the way through ..haha shoot . no car . lol .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

well you could temporarily try this <g>[attachment=0]20180121_154021[1].jpg[/attachment]
Peter Harrison
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

Hey! That could catch on!!!!!!!!!!!
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

what am I looking at , the wood dash ? I wanted to do wood and down the center devider armrest area . But idk now if it wouldn't be way too much work. was that a quick one somehow ?

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Had dash back from Just Dashes with a) no real time to install, b) solvang imminent, c) unsure whether to have all gauges redone before final install - just gives me the basics - rpm, oil, fuel, amps, heat. Looks like shit but for now works. Not recommended for anything other than expediency - though it took me 1/2 day to fabricate.
Gauge wise, all you need is to connect the oil - other wise it spurts (at least on '70)

Best
Peter Harrison
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

I know we often vilify Harbor Fraught, but it has some cool, cheap, almost unobtainable (reasonably prices) handy goodies like the ones below.
Like so many tools that we assemble, it's so great to have the one specific to a certain task and while I use some of the below more than others ( the i.e. the big 'driver' for lugnuts ) using a wrench for final tightening, they just are handy.

And I LOVE the little stubby ratchet wrenches, I have had mine for over 6 years and they have never failed. To be honest, I always finish off with 'Craftsman' but they get most of the work done, especially in those tight spaces, with little room for wrench 'throw'
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:27 pm I know we often vilify Harbor Fraught, but it has some cool, cheap, almost unobtainable (reasonably prices) handy goodies like the ones below.
Like so many tools that we assemble, it's so great to have the one specific to a certain task and while I use some of the below more than others ( the i.e. the big 'driver' for lugnuts ) using a wrench for final tightening, they just are handy.

And I LOVE the little stubby ratchet wrenches, I have had mine for over 6 years and they have never failed. To be honest, I always finish off with 'Craftsman' but they get most of the work done, especially in those tight spaces, with little room for wrench 'throw'
I have allot more tools to get still huh .... haha Never Ever Ends !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm Had dash back from Just Dashes with a) no real time to install, b) solvang imminent, c) unsure whether to have all gauges redone before final install - just gives me the basics - rpm, oil, fuel, amps, heat. Looks like shit but for now works. Not recommended for anything other than expediency - though it took me 1/2 day to fabricate.
Gauge wise, all you need is to connect the oil - other wise it spurts (at least on '70)

Best
that's a good idea for sending it out .. smart .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I've been thinking of something more practical to put my dash back on with . mainly up by the windshield so when it's time to get under there again it'll be allot easier .. although that tool I made works great , idk I was thinking something in the wing/ butterfly or eyehook family for
finger tighten and loosen ease . eliminate the tool all together ! anyone have any ideas of types of bolts that have a high top/head that might work ? I'll get stock ones one day but only to give to next owner someday . personally I prefer practical over stock in some cases .. more user friendly .. if I can find what I mean .

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

Lorna c wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 am I've been thinking of something more practical to put my dash back on with . mainly up by the windshield so when it's time to get under there again it'll be allot easier .. although that tool I made works great , idk I was thinking something in the wing/ butterfly or eyehook family for
finger tighten and loosen ease . eliminate the tool all together ! anyone have any ideas of types of bolts that have a high top/head that might work ? I'll get stock ones one day but only to give to next owner someday . personally I prefer practical over stock in some cases .. more user friendly .. if I can find what I mean .
What you need is a new tool, LOL. If you get the original hex head screws, you can use a 1/4 drive socket driven by your cordless drill through a spring flex extension. They are available in many different lengths. Then you can have your drill up where there is plenty of room for it and just hold the socket to guide it. zip zip zip. 45 seconds.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

C.Costine wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 am
Lorna c wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 am I've been thinking of something more practical to put my dash back on with . mainly up by the windshield so when it's time to get under there again it'll be allot easier .. although that tool I made works great , idk I was thinking something in the wing/ butterfly or eyehook family for
What you need is a new tool, LOL. If you get the original hex head screws, you can use a 1/4 drive socket driven by your cordless drill through a spring flex extension. They are available in many different lengths. Then you can have your drill up where there is plenty of room for it and just hold the socket to guide it. zip zip zip. 45 seconds.
do u have a picture of that ? I've never heard of a spring flex extension ? I'll see if I can Google that and thanks !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

one of these ? doesn't look like it'll fit either? u can barely get your finger in there no? but if u say so I'll look at harbor freight next time ..