Earl's '69 2000

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Earl's '69 2000

Post by EarlQHan »

Picked up a '69 2000 a few weeks ago but haven't started a thread yet, so here it goes: I've wanted one ever since I saw this car circa 2004(?)

(it seems to inspire many) but for various reasons, never bought one. I got extremely lucky with timing and location on this car. I'm extremely happy with the car so far.

The pros: The car is mostly original, runs, mostly original, and came with a bunch of extras such as: roll bar, soft top frame, new canvas, hardtop (without rear glass, broken driver's side latch, and janky weatherstripping), 2 transmissions, hood, set of doors, trunk, OEM wheels, hub caps, dash, fenders, brakes, headlight bezels). I haven't picked up these parts yet, so I'm not sure what condition they're in, but I'll be picking them up this weekend.

The cons: All the bushings/zerk fittings are shot. Car runs rich. Small oil leak. Electrical and interior are a mess. An annoying exhaust leak that makes it sound like a Jetson's car lol.

This is how the car looked when I picked her up

Pretty clean especially for a car that has spent the last 12 years in the Midwest. Probably the worst of the rust on the body is the driver's side fender

Ran strong albeit a bit rich, but the car started to cut out and act funny so I checked the fuel filter, it was clogged. Replaced it and started running well again.

The PO had installed a set of coil springs on the rear leaf springs because the tire rubbed. I just pounded out the fenders a bit and pulled the rear coil springs. So much nicer over bumps now.

He also sprayed the ENTIRE under side of the car with rubber undercoating stuff. So I'm also trying to clean up under the car a little at a time

Nothing a little brake clean, shop towels, and elbow grease can't clean up

The worst of the rust on the frame is probably the front crossmember, which is just a bit of surface rust. I'm extremely pleased with how clean the car is

However, the car had a shimmy in the rear at high speed and when I tried to put the wheels back on, I realized there were two washers each of the lug nuts on the front, but only one on the rear. I was able to slide the rear wheel back and forth a few mm! Bought some washers, stuck them in there and the car doesn't feel like it's going to kill me anymore.

I also removed the front bumper, removed the over rides, and will clean up the bumper. Although I'm not sure I want to put it back on...

I'm also going around pulling the chrome trim pieces and removing the rust

However, since a lot of the pieces are so pitted, I'm not sure if i want to rechrome them or just paint them. The center console also needs to repaired/reupholstered so I started on that. Before:

After:

I broke the cigarette lighter socket thing (don't know what it's actually called) when I was trying to separate it

Anyone have any spares or know where I can buy one? I'm also looking for a new handle for the ash tray lid since it was broken. Also in the interior, I had to start the car with a screwdriver since the ignition cylinder was off the car

Installed the ignition cylinder

However, there's no spring to return the key from the IGN position to the ON position after the car starts. Does anyone know what part that is and where I can get one? I tried fitting the plastic cover, but the dash is a bit crooked so I'll have to fix that before I can put that on. Probably for the best since I couldn't find the proper 6-40 machine screw anyways...

Things I still need to do:
Replace frayed throttle cable
Clean out the gas tank
Install seatbelts D:
Refinish the hardtop
Reupholster the soft top
Fix the exhaust leak
Clean the carbs, sync them, and see if they need to be rebuilt

Things for the future:
Replace bushings/zerk fittings/joints/etc.
Comp springs/upgrade shocks
Wheels
New seats
Reupholster the interior

I guess that's all for now...
duff me
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Earl's '69 2000

Post by duff me »

Great looking car - it looks like you're off to a great start.

I'm sure others will chime in on your list of projects, but I'll speak to one of them. The cigarette lighter can be replaced at walmart or autozone or probably lots of other places - you can use a GM style lighter.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... A|GRP2020A____" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are several different lighter elements I've found - some of them look pretty good, some not. You can also install the aftermarket lighter socket, ditch the element and then find another element elsewhere - my original element was in the car (not working) and I replaced the socket. I don't use the lighter, so no big deal. I can use the outlet to power stuff, and it looks original.
1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL31120785
duff me

Post by duff me »

And I installed these seatbelts in mine.
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/WSCH300.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL31120785
EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Post by EarlQHan »

Out of sheer stupidity, where would I attach the shoulder point? It's a tight fit between the seat and the door and it doesn't look like there's anywhere to mount it. Thanks again for all the help.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

EarlQHan wrote:Out of sheer stupidity, where would I attach the shoulder point? It's a tight fit between the seat and the door and it doesn't look like there's anywhere to mount it. Thanks again for all the help.
Mounting position is located on the rear wheel hump in the back interior shelf. Should be a chrome bolt there, and if not then the hole for it.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome, good looking ride and, as said earlier, you are off to great start!
Make sure to check out the Tech wiki (link on the top of every page!) and the vendor list. You can find most anything you need for your Roadster restoration there!
Keep posting on your progress!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

EarlQHan wrote:Out of sheer stupidity, where would I attach the shoulder point? It's a tight fit between the seat and the door and it doesn't look like there's anywhere to mount it. Thanks again for all the help.
should mount here:

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Post by EarlQHan »

Awesome, thanks for the picture clarification!
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Welcome Earl, nice garage!
There is a diverse group here that can resolve just about any issue you may encounter.
Your lists are a great start. That coil spring is odd, we are always learning eh.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Post by EarlQHan »

Thanks, the garage is the reason my roommates and I moved into the place. It's proving very useful. Started to disassemble the center console. Old vinyl is rock hard and sharp. It was a huge PITA to get everything apart

Started with the arm rest

Laying down primer on some of the pieces. Not too picky on how the paint turns out since it's out of sight.

Bought new foam. New arm rest piece next to the old

This is slow and painful process, but it's getting done a day at a time. Now I'm glad I've never bothered with interior stuff until now.
EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Post by EarlQHan »

Two steps forward, about five steps sideways. The PO sold me the car with all the misc. parts. In his list there was a bunch of body parts, so I couldn't pick it up until yesterday. He had it at a storage unit so I never really knew what the car was coming with until I got there. It was basically a gold mine

A lot of things I don't need, but I'll have to go through and sort through all the parts, figure out what I do and what I don't. Giant FS thread coming soon.
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Wow that's cool!
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
EarlQHan
Roadster Nut

Post by EarlQHan »

Thanks. It seems like minus a body, frame, and motor, I have enough parts to build another roadster. Parts in boxes sprawled out

Some close ups (let me know if you need any of this stuff)

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Holy cow, that's a heck of a score!! Congratulations!!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Welcome Earl. I'd suggest getting those zerks in and greasing everything pronto...suspension is expensive. also probably gunk in the gas tank so multiple filters and a cleaning wouldn't hurt.
The car looks like a nice place to start and the extra parts are helpful.
The site has all the answers if you spend some time digging.
See if you can find some local owners to help out also, that makes it easier.
Good luck,
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.