Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Hi All- I am the new, proud, and somewhat overwhelmed owner of a 67 spl311. Have always coveted a Fairlady and took the plunge when one came up locally. This is a project car for me and my son. I'll post some pictures- needs lots of work but I'm in it for the quality time with my son. I am, however, perplexed about a couple of issues and will present just a couple below for consideration.

The car is a 67. VIN plate says engine is R 18668 and Car is 07325. However, engine serial is R 01863. I'm assuming that this is an earlier engine swapped to this car. Does that make sense?

Related- thermostat housing is not shaped like the gasket that repeatedly comes up for an early 67. My housing is an elongated diamond with 4 holes for the top gasket and two for the bottom. The ones that the computer say I need are triangular and rectangular. This may have to do with a pre-67 engine? How might I determine when my engine was made?

Possibly related- There is no thermostat! Removed the housing and none was there. Stupid question but- is the thermostat just supposed to sit below the housing without any "holder"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windy311
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Newbie

Post by windy311 »

Welcome nice start there.
1964 1500 H20 powered 5 speed
1965 1600
Rob.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome you started at the right place! The car looks like a great project!
Regardingyour thermostat housing and engine, a swap is likely and not a big issue. Is there an R in front of the serial number on the engine block? (also possible that there would he an H). Pictures of the parts in question are always helpful!
I have an H20 engine and seem to have the exact thermostat set-up you are describing. Is there another, adaptor block under the aluminum thermostat housing?
If so, then the thermostat is under that adaptor - if it is there.
There is usually a recess for the thermostat to sit in, right on the head - no other "holder" is normal.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
duff me
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by duff me »

Looks like a good place to start.

Where are you located? As notoptoy noted, a picture of the thermostat housing would be helpful in getting some more assistance on your questions.
1968 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL31120785
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks all- I'm actually coincidentally located in the same town as Notoptoy (Winston Salem, NC) according to his info.

Regarding the thermostat, I'll get a picture up, but there is a very slight depression ring below the housing that the thermostat fits nicely to. Other than for the sake of historical correctness, is there a benefit of a "cardboard" gasket over silicon (or whatever the squeeze gasket material is)?
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

notoptoy wrote: Is there an R in front of the serial number on the engine block?.
Yes- on the block is R 01863
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Hey Chris-Another Winston Salem Roadster! Awesome - that makes at least 7 (though one guy has 4!)
We'll have to get the bunch of us together! Where are you located - I'm happy to help out if I can!
I'll PM you my details.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG