'70 1600 rebuild files

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

'70 1600 rebuild files

Post by rxsleeper »

Thought I would start a thread where I could keep up with work as I get the Roadster back to driver condition. I have not been spending much time on it since I have been trying to get a 1982 Honda VF-75 restoration finished and out of the way before diving in too deeply. That plus trying to get the ITS car ready and the roadster rolled to the bottom of the list.

I finally spent some time on it a couple of weeks ago. The drivers door would not stay latched. I figured that all it would take was a good cleaning so I removed the entire lock assembly, cleaned, lubed and repositioned the very small spring in the mechanism itself and voila, the door latch works perfectly again. I failed to take any pictures for that little venture.

Fast forward to this past weekend. The PO had removed the fuel tank many years ago but failed to paint it after having it cleaned. Well, it needed another "boiling" so I removed it from the car and took it to the local radiator shop and left it with them. Picked it up and it looked pretty good on the inside but the outside was still cruddy.

It looked like this or worse when I started:

I still haven't bought a blast cabinet so I took the old fashioned route wire wheel and angle grinder. It was too pretty to stay in the shop so I set up a bench outside. Couple hours later it looked like this:

Some Rustoleum primer and paint and it looked like this and is ready to go back in the car:

Last edited by rxsleeper on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
Couple of Mazda's and a Duramax
Sometimes you will win, you will always get better, if you first fail ...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: '70 1600 rebuild files

Post by notoptoy »

Nice work, plus you know that it is clean- that will be a great help down the road!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

Got the tank back in last night but photo's will have to wait until this evening. Also disassembled the drivers side lower control arm. Two of the three lower shock mount bolts had broken and the 3rd had broken loose. Drilled them out, re-threaded, and re-installed. Not perfect but at least the shock now works instead of just hanging there! :shock: Still needs replacing but that can wait.

Hope to put some fuel in this evening and crank her up to pull outside and clean the engine/engine bay. It really needs cleaning so I can figure out what is leaking and from where.

Any hints or suggestions that are particular to the roadster before I take the pressure washer to it?

Paul
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I'd cover and/or be aware of the usual suspects when pressure washing - Carbs, distributor, fuse box electrical connectors (especially the starter harness). Older rubber bits (and old rubber brake line/clutch lines) can disintegrate under high pressure. Good luck, and take before and after pics for us to oogle!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

I will try to post some pictures this evening. Picked up 5 gals of fuel, poured it in the tank, and pulled the choke and she fired right up. Fuel pump is a little weak but I drove it to the store and filled it up and then back home. Did pretty well for it's first real street drive in more than 10 years. I didn't get to clean the engine bay since a friend brought his BMW over to put on the lift and try to find an oil leak. Just need to get the brakes functioning correctly and I can drive her a little. Hmm, may have to get her licensed and insured this week since the weekend forecast looks great. :)
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

I would consider using some "Marine Clean" and low pressure water and a brush on the hose instead of a pressure washer. Marine Clean is an amazing de-gunker I've found.

Regards,
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

Finally found the time to take a couple of pictures. Tank straps were wire wheeled and painted with Rustoleum silver hammertone. Car runs pretty well but I have all of the parts for a complete tune up. I hope to get all the rubber engine bay parts replaced this weekend as well as the tune up. Need to trace down what I think is grounding issue. No taillights and the passenger headlight is dimmer than the drivers so I will need to find that as well.

Yes there is a trailer hitch on the car. The PO used the 1600 to flat tow his autox car "back in the day." :)

Paul
Last edited by rxsleeper on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Holy Crap Batman, is that your garage?!?!?! :shock:
That is beautiful! :smt038
Oh, and the car is very nice too ;-)

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

My wife told me a couple of years ago that I couldn't bring home any more cars until I built a shop. So I did! :)
Here are a couple of pictures of the shop when it is not quite so full. There is a storage area upstairs as well but the HIghbay cuts into it.

Added one from the outside before I finished the interior. I sold the blue Z since I knew I would never build it into a race car.

Paul
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I have extreme Garage Envy! Plus it is so clean I can only wish that my garage were that clean!
Have you looked into or posted on the Dream garage thread?

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

That's one awesome shop! I too am jealous - oh what I would give for a lift sometimes.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

Had a pretty good day today. Installed a new fuel pump, points, plugs, wires, cap, and several fuses. Spent multiple hours cleaning grounds, re-installing the rear ground, the one just above the exhaust, and chasing electrical gremlins. I think I got them corrected. At least everything was working when I parked her.

She was named today. I rarely name my vehicles but I told my wife and kids I needed a name for her. My daughter suggested Susie, my younger son said Shelia and my wife asked what Shrek's wife name was. I should tell you that my racing efforts generally fall under the name of Team OGRE. Myself and several other local guys that road race proudly display the team OGRE label when we hit the track. OGRE= Old Guys Racing Enterprise 3 of us are over 50 and the other 2 are in the late 40's. Anyway, Shrek's wife's name was Fiona, and that now is the name of my Datsun mistress.

I took Fiona out on a drive before dinner and everything seemed pretty good so I invited the family for a ride in Fiona after dinner. My wife took me up and during the ride she commented that this is a pretty nice car. I about wrecked when I heard that. This is the same women who consistently tells me I am crazy for playing with cars. She later told me to hurry up and fix it up so it was nice. :shock: I guess I just got approval to move a little faster in my restoration.

Anyway, I need to thank all of you guys that have worked your way through the same electrical gremlins and then posted up on the forum. I spent a fair amount of time looking at others solutions and it really sped up my efforts. THanks! :smt023

I will probably start on the brakes tomorrow. A buddy of mine has offered up his bead blaster for clean up of the calipers so I think I will pull them tomorrow unless the pretty weather has me doing other things.

Paul
1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

A good day, a good story and a good name, well done!

65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Paul, I have extra caliper castings if yours are crappy, already clean, PM if you need

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
rxsleeper
Roadster Nut

Post by rxsleeper »

Thanks Dave, I may have to talk with you if these don' clean up good enough.

Well, needed to get some more done since I have driven the car a few times. Let's just say the brakes worked, sort of. I was pretty careful and looked waaay ahead and anticipated. :)

Tonight I started on the brakes. Thank goodness for Air tools. They made the job soooo much easier.

Managed to get both front brake calipers, rotors, dust shield all removed and broke down the calipers to see how bad the piston and housing were pitted. I think they can all be rescued and simply rebuilt. I got a bad case of WIAAI (While I am At It) and went ahead and pulled everything done for re-furbish. Rotors will need a skim cut but I think they are still thick enough to be serviceable. Wheel bearings look good but it appears a seal has leaked on the drivers side so I will replace seals after re-packing the bearings. Other than that it will be general clean up and re-install.

Here are tonights pictures. I am tired so you can figure out what is what. :)

Before:

After:

Parts and pieces:
piston

I spent a few minutes with the the parts washer and the wire wheel to see how bad the housing really was. A buddy has offered his bead blaster for clean up and I am going to take him up on it. :)

They should clean up and save some $$$

1970 1600 Roadster
1972 240Z ITS race car