Altima Vented Rotors

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ReddTrain
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Altima Vented Rotors

Post by ReddTrain »

Just to make sure: Will these rotors with the Volvo calipers work under 14" wheels? Anyone running this setup?
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

I don't thinks stock wheels will fit without a spacer. I'm running 14" Enkei Compes.

Anyone have stock wheels with this setup?
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
ReddTrain
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ReddTrain »

I wouldn't be running stock wheels - I've got 280Z Black Pearl wheels (14x5.5), if that matters.
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

I tried finding this info in this thread and didn't see it. Here's a post on the ratsun thread with the stock rim clearance.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/38832 ... ntry605654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't have to be too bright to be me!
http://www.bluehandsinc.com
Tacomaboy 1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tacomaboy 1 »

Worth every cent. Installed fresh bearings,cups and seals to complement the job. For those that have cross drilled piston bores; Did you cross drill both caliper halves? I'm undecided on drilling the halves, or purchasing a set of manifolds. Drilling is much more cost effective, but wonder how it will if any, effect the balance of pressure throught the caliper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

My humble opinion..The inside of the steel brakeline from the master isn't too much bigger than the hole you're drilling, and it carries fluid for both front calipers, so you're transferring 1/4 of that volume through each of the holes, should not be an issue.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Tacomaboy 1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tacomaboy 1 »

O.K. I'll buy that. So brick; did you drill both halves of the caliper or just the half without inlet connection. Seems like doing both would be the right thing as pressure would be applied from both sections . As I read the the mod instructions as outlined by Dave Kerr and look at pic's of procedure, it dosn't really say to do both halves. Any thoughts.
OC67
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OC67 »

I'm planning on drilling my calipers too and was wondering the same thing. However, I think it's only necessary to drill one half (I was going to drill the side with the inlets) as the crossover passages in the caliper should take care of getting fluid to the other side.
Tacomaboy 1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tacomaboy 1 »

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Really only need the one side. however, I think I'm going for both halves tomorrow. I'll keep ya posted O.C.
OC67
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OC67 »

Cool, take some pics if you can please and post them up when you're done.
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

I've been asked for my input. Not sure what it's worth since I haven't done this mod, but here goes....... :)

I would personally drill both sides. I don't think it's needed for any operational reason, since it's a hydraulic system, the pressure is the important part....more so than the flow. As long as everything is completely filled with fluid, it will all feel the same pressure.

But....getting it completely filled with fluid is what I would worry about. I'd drill the second half, if only to help with bleeding the air out. The metal is easy to drill and you already have it apart.

If someone wants to bring me a caliper, I'll do the mod and create a vid of it. I don't have any use for the caliper, otherwise I would have done it awhile ago. :)
Don't have to be too bright to be me!
http://www.bluehandsinc.com
Tacomaboy 1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tacomaboy 1 »

In Progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Always wondered what this drilling thing you guys would talk about was... Now I see!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
OC67
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OC67 »

Thanks for the pics Tacomaboy, going to try and get around to doing mine next week.
OC67
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OC67 »

Tacomaboy - it looks like you drilled the holes at as shallow an angle as possible, how deep did you have to drill for the holes to connect?

I've made some progress on mine - the new bearing spacers are on. I was a bit concerned about swapping them over but the job went very smoothly. I used a pipe wrench to loosen the old spacers then a puller to draw them off and made up a tool out of some scraps of steel to install the new ones. I've attached a pic to show the installation tool. I also took a pic to show the clearance inside my 14" slot mags - it clears but it's very tight and just brushes the wheelweights so I may need to move them to the outside of the rim. The back face of the wheel just catches the caliper but a 1/8" spacer cures that.