Roadsters racing at Laguna Seca in April.

For the racers out there!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Roadsters racing at Laguna Seca in April.

Post by SLOroadster »

If anyone isn't going to Solvang in April, there might be another interesting roadster event going on at Laguna Seca. At this point details are a little sketchy, however Ron Carter and Tim Arnett are planning on racing both of there roadsters at the VSCCA/HMSA event (correct me if I'm wrong there.) and I'm going to try to get my car in as well. Thats a possible 3 roadsters on the track at once! If there are any other racing roadsters out there that would be interested in doing this, lets see if we can make it happen. It would be awesome to see a flock of roadsters out on track for perhaps the first time since the '60s or '70s. Heck, just having 3 out there would be cool enough. Even if someone isn't planning on driving in the event, it would still be cool to see 2+ roadsters on track at once.

I'm going to see if I can rustle up at least one more car that may or may not be ready by then. Last I heard it was still being restored, but I haven't talked to the guy in a while.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Roadsters racing at Laguna Seca in April.

Post by notoptoy »

I'm watching this spot, this could be very cool!
tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

It would be fun to see so many roadsters on the track at once.

R
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I sent an email to the SFR SCCA person and it looks like the only way for me to get in is with some sort of competition license, since I don't have a one of those, I think I'm out. :( I kinda figured this was the case, but I'm still looking for a back door to get in.

I'm going to get in touch with a guy up here who has one of the Nissan USA factory 1600s that is being restored. It might be done in time, but who knows.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Upon further review, I might be able to afford to do the SCCA school in March that will allow me to run the event. I'm looking into it, so I'm not quite ready to give up.

I just got off the phone with a guy over in Santa Rosa who as the former factory 1600 race car. He is interested in running the event as well, but isn't sure if the car will be done by then. He thinks it will be, but is not positive. That makes a possible 4 at the event. The guy used to have Steve's 1600 race car. I'm not sure who he sold it to however.

Will
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Cool!! The more roadsters the better. Sounds like those returning to the bay area from Solvang might be able to make it back in time to see us go :)

R
A race car since new!

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I think I'm clear to run the SCCA school, I have received a very generous (and totally unexpected) Christmas present. Now the trouble is getting the car to pass tech. It sounds like they don't like my roll bar :roll: I'm ok with adding to it, but it will likely result in my having to get VERY creative getting a 2nd set of wheels in the car to get to and from the races. It sounds like they want a cross brace in the main hoop. The addition of the bar is not an issue, thats easy, but I will never get a wheel behind the seats on the package shelf again. :?

We'll see how it plays out.

Will
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Luggage rack. Problem solved.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

So, it looks like I might be able to get a comp license through HSR-West if I do VARA universty at Buttonwillow next month. Its half the price of the SCCA event and I won't have to pay a double set of dues to the SCCA (local and national). Now if I can get the license through HSR, and the car teched by VSCCA, I should be in. HSR wants a fuel cell, VSCCA does not require one.

Doing VARA U will also leave enough $ to enter the race at Laguna I think. Now to get the car to Buttonwillow, and me into the school.

Will
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Will at the VARA tech they will tell you that you will need a fire system, fuel cell, crossbar, seatbelt bar and current driving gear. You will also need to afix the seat back to your roll bar, unless you have an FIA certified seat. I would remove the numbers from your car (if you can) and indicate that you are driving a street car.

I will see if I can make it out there for that event as well. Although I will not be bringing my car out. The VARA license will work at an HSR event, just like an HSR license works at a VARA event. However you will need a completed medical in order to get your license.

Ron
A race car since new!

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I went out to Sears Point and talked with one of the fab shops out there and they said all I will need to add to the roll bar is a cross bar and make the harness bar permanent. They didn't say anything about attaching the seat back to the roll bar (Tim's isn't, for that matter I can barely call Tims seat a seat. More like a partial shell.) A mounted fire extinguisher will also comply.

I'd pull the #s but I don't have the 6 hours to make new ones. Besides they have been on there so long that I don't know if they will come off willingly. I'll just say I'm actively autoXing the car and go from there.

I have a new set of belts sitting in a box as well as arm restraints that arrived today. I'll try to get those in the car by the end of the week.

Will
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

VARA U here I come. I'm all signed up and will be heading down with Tim Arnett. I'm going to try to get the roll bar taken care of before I go so I can possibly get a VARA log book while I'm there. I'm running the car as a street car.

I think 3 roadsters at Laguna is going to happen :D

Will
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Very cool!!
Watching this space for updates!
Tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Guys time to get signed up for this race, there are 40 positions for Small Bore production, and they will fill up fast!! Will time to get signed UP!!

http://www.hsrwestrace.com/HSR_West/Lag ... _Form.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A race car since new!

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'm working on it. Trying to wade through the mess of getting my license. Getting a physical through Kaiser is a p.i.t.a. Its not that hard to make a simple appointment, why do they make it so? :roll:

Will