SU's and manifold

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70MTroadster

SU's and manifold

Post by 70MTroadster »

I don't know if this is quite cool or not in that this site is for Roadsters, not 510's, but we are all Datsun junkies so here goes......

I am getting ready to rebuild/replace my tired old L16 engine in my 71 510 4 dr. I've purchased a closed chamber A87 head for it which everybody says is the way to go for more performance, plus intake manifolds such as the SSS with dual SU's, fit on the A87 and not the stock 210 head. OK, so I also have a Stroker project underway for my 70 R16 Roadster engine and have just taken delivery of a set of 2 liter carbs and intake manifold. The plan is to put the 2L carbs on the R16 intake (ala Steve Allen) and his Stroker. So.....I'll have the R16 38mm SU's that I could use on a 510 manifold if anyone knows if such a thing exists.....plus.....I'll have the 2L intake manifold for sale at some point. Or would swap it for a 510 SU intake.....whatever.....

Anybody have any thoughts along these lines :?:

Scott
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Non-Roadster Stuff

Post by S Allen »

Scott.

You are more than welcome to ask or talk about anything Datsun related on this forum. It does not have to be Roadster only! I had a manifold and some flat top SUs from a 510(Canadian) that I was going to use on my 521 pickup. I sold the setup on Ebay over a year ago. I am not sure the linkage from the roadster SUs and the 510 SUs was compatible with regards to that manifold. It has been a while since I looked at it and I no longer have it to reference. You might want to ask this question to the Blueburd list as well. I am not sure you will get much of a response here but I could be wrong.

Steve
TR

510's! and SU's

Post by TR »

Years back I had a 510 (go cart with a top on it) with an L20B engine and 38mm SU's. When I bought it, it had a tired L16 with the SU setup. The linkage and float bowl locations were different than the 1600 and 2000 roadster setups. The manifold looked like a 2000 manifold. I bought the L20B from an importer for $450 and dropped it in. It was a very smooth engine and ran forever. That car was very fun to drive.

In summary, something SU exists for the L-Series engine, but I do know how to track it down. I am sure some of the 510 sites will have info, though...Travis