69 project ......and I do mean project

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

69shell

69 project ......and I do mean project

Post by 69shell »

about a year ago, on a whim, I decided that I needed a Datsun roadster project car so I started scouring Craig's list for a car. I figured I wouldn't have any trouble finding something, but after a few weeks of looking, I was still empty handed. I finally received a tip on a car in a barn so I drove an hour to meet the guy and see the car. This is where lesson #1 comes into play.....if you can't see more than 50% of the car because it's covered with junk and buried in a barn...think twice. Not knowing this rule, I bought it.
It's a 69' SRL and the PO had bought it just to take the motor for his vintage race car. So, the car had no motor or transmission.....and actually not a whole lot else either. It was cheap.....
I had buyers remose the second we pulled it from the barn and loaded it on my trailer. This was compounded by the revelation that the seller didn't have the title either. Lesson #2....ask that question first. 3 months later I have the new title in hand thanks to a dozen trips to the notary and the help of the WA state DMV.

During the drive home I would see car after car pull next to me, look at the datsun.....then pull forward to see what type of moron buys something like that.

It didn't look a whole lot better once I got it home and washed the dirt off either. There was a ton of dents on the car....but surprisingly little rust. There was a trunk full of parts which, as it turns out, came in really handy later on.
So, I set about looking for a U20 and transmission. Through the help of Michael Spreadbury and others, I found a complete motor about 90 minute drive from home. I picked it up about a month after getting the car.
The motor turned out to be a deal for me, after tearing it apart it appeared to be a low hours motor in good condition so the rebuild was pretty straight forward. Ironically, the parts that were left in the trunk by the PO were all nearly new and made nice additions to this motor, including a set of SU's that look brand new!

More to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69shell

Re: 69 project ......and I do mean project

Post by 69shell »

With the motor rebuilt and sitting on a stand, it was time to focus on body work. At this point, I figured the best I was going to end up with was a decent daily driver so I've kept that in mind as I've worked on the project. I'm not too hung up on originality or perfection and have kept the cost in mind.
There was a ding, dent, crease, or tear in every inch of this car but at least it only had the original paint job to deal, no re-sprays. I decided that I'd do every bit of the work myself and that's what I've done so far. It's basically a 5' car.....looks great from 5' away, otherwise my paint imperfections become apparent.
At this point, the car is painted it's original Spanish Red and the motor is installed. The U20 started right up but has only been run 20 minutes or so. I've adjusted the valves but haven't done much with the carbs or timing yet.
New exhaust is installed as well. That project went smoother than anticipated, especially with my limited welding skills.
Having started with a big pile of wires, no labels, and no idea where anything went, I'm happy to have most of the electrical working now.
I got lucky, someone in the past had done a brake job on the car so the pads, rotors, and drums were in "like new" condition. The master cylinders looked and operated fine as well, both look new.
There is no interior installed yet but I do have the original seats that will recieve the new covers from Dean. The rest I'm doing myself and it's slow going.
I get limited blocks of time to work on it so I pick my projects in accordance with my time allowance.
My goal is to have it on the road in the Spring.....which might be possible given how late Spring arrives in Oregon.
More updates in coming weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George H
Roadster Fanatic

Post by George H »

Unless you paid alot of money for your project I don't see the buyers remorse. Car is looking good.
George
67 2000
69 2000
76 620 K/Cab
Skyman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Skyman »

Looks like you are on the right track. When you are driving it down the road this spring, your remorse will be a distant memory, replaced by a permanent grin. Looking good BTW.

Kyle
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Wow! Looking good!

More pictures, please.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by S Allen »

You have come along way with what quite a few folks would have scrapped. Keep up the great work.

SA
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

+1 to all of the above.

Your body work skills look more than adequate! Body work is the one thing I am not comfortable attacking, so kudos to you. It looks good to me! Please keep posting pics!
Tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Look at it this way, if you had bought a "better" car, a few years down the line you would be doing some or all of this work anyway. Doing it now, when it's done it's done and ready to drive for quite a while, then you buy another......

It looks great.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
69shell

Post by 69shell »

well, thanks for all of the nice comments and support. The remorse is long gone now but it sure was prominent when I first brought that car home. My wife is used to me dragging stuff home but even she was at a loss for words this time....Now I'm really enjoying the project and would love to find another one in the next year....one that's more complete to start with.
I'll update the progress in a few days.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Nice job. You are lucky you have the skills, like body work, to do the project. Impressed that you wired the car without alot to go on. There are some knowledgeable people up in Oregon in case you need assistance.
One more word for ya:
Solvang!

Linda :)
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
timurf
Roadster Fanatic

Post by timurf »

Looks fantastic, kudos to you. If you enjoy the work (or at least don't outright hate the work) then a project like this can be very rewarding.

I rescued a '69 ($500 barn find) a few years ago and, over the course of a year, got it going on 95% spare parts I already had lying around.

I haven't touched the cosmetics as I like driving it in ratty form, its fun not having to worry about people parking next to you.

Anyway its always great to see someone taking a car that could have ended up being used for parts and getting it on the road again!
Tim Murphy

68 2000 Hillclimber
69 2000 Beater
69shell

Post by 69shell »

I didn't have a big block of time over the holidays but I did have a few hours so I decided to take on the parcel shelf and the interior panels around it. I also took a stab at recovering the top trim around the back which turned out pretty nice.
I had taken one of the panel reminents to a local upolstery shop to see if they had any material that was close to a match. The car came with the door panels so I wanted to try to keep them and match the new material. The shop had a piece that was a close match....but it was the end of the role and I may not have enough to complete the whole car.
I decided that I wanted some contrast in the car so I went with grey carpet against the black panels. The grey will also tie in with the gunmetal wheels I've got and I'm planning to paint the roll bar the same color.
A sheet of 3/8" veneer works perfectly for the carpet base. I cut out the holes for the roll bar that I intend to mount on top of the shelf carpet but below the chassis/floor carpet.
Not having a pattern for the panels is the hardest part so I just keep cutting cardboard until it fits, then cut the pieces from 1/8" wood sheets. The vinyl actually goes on pretty easily once the board is cut.
I wish I was more patient at cutting the patterns, mine always end up being too big and it takes as long to fix my mistakes as it did to cut it in the first place.
Anyway, I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out. The next step is windshield installation, door seals, and the remaining vinyl pieces that tie it all together. Doubt I'll get much done this week though.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

It looks good! It also looks like you had plenty enough patience to pull off a nice installation.
It's tough to see in the pictures, but you may want to consider using seam tape (the thin fabric strip that rolls over the edges of carpets and mats) to give a more finished look to that gray carpet - or do the edges sit under trim?
Tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
69shell

Post by 69shell »

The entire front and back of the carpet are tucked under the edges as are part of the sides. There are part of the sides that I couldn't do that so your idea of edging is good.
sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz »

that is looking GREAT!!!!!!! you are going to love it when its finished. and the best part, will be when folks ask if you bought it fixed up, and you tell them that you did all the work.
congrats on the purchase and please keep adding pics as you put it together.
1967 SPL1600 sold
2015 Nissan Rogue
2015 Altima

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d29/sleepyzzz56/roadster/IMG_0252-1-1.jpg