67 1600 SR20 Swap

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

aka
Roadster Nut

Re: 67 1600 SR20 Swap

Post by aka »

Well after I started to dismantle the rails I determined the entire channel had to go. After that came off the triangular support on the firewall was more rusted than I thought so I took that off and then the other support showed even more rust than expected so that also came off and then I found a few spots behind those on the firewall that need to be fixed. Now I have this:

Made a little template and now I have to cut the metal out and get the new one in place. I need more sanding disks so I had to stop.

This was one of the supports on the firewall. You couldn't see the rust until the main channel was gone.

I have learned that there are a few tools you can't live without. One is a spot weld cutter. The other is a 3" cut off wheel and an air saw. The air saw can get into some tight areas and cuts a nice straight cut. The last is a 90 Degree Angled Air Die Grinder with a 2" sanding disk. That thing can get in some tight spaces. After I get this side I will need to do the same on the other side.

Luckily I installed a 220V heater in the garage and it keeps it warm enough to work even though the garage has crappy garage doors and it isn't insulated. Can't wait to see my electric bill next month :)

Whats the best way to remove the tar on the underside of the firewall?

Later!
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Whats the best way to remove the tar on the underside of the firewall?

Some freeze it with dry ice and tap it with a hammer. WD40 will melt it, but takes several applications. PB blaster melts it quicker but is more expensive. Naptha melts it quickly as well, but still requires alot of scraping.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

Thanks! I have seen the dry ice method but the tar is at an angle on a donward slope so I wouldn't be able to keep the dry ice against it. I will give those other ones a try.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Mine came right off when liberally marinated in brake fluid (un-intentionally).
I think it'd take quite the soaking, and then there is the problem in how to kep the fluid from taking off adjacent paint.
Maybe mineral spirits? Diesel fuel is good at taking off Cosmoline and other lubes, greases and such, wonder if that'd work....

Makes the garage smell garden fresh as well....
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

I might try brake cleaner. I saw someone doing that online. I am not worried about the other paint because I am going to have it sand blasted once the body has enough metal replaced and won't fall apart when I have it blasted.
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

Hey guys,

I am a long way away from putting this thing back together but almost every bolt, the dash, seats and interior were trash and couldn't be saved. Anyone ever find a good donor car that works for a majority of these parts like a Miata or a second gen RX-7? I was thinking about buying a totaled Matrix and stripping it down and using the dash, seats, console, etc...

Just curious.

Later!
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

Well I found out that the best and easiest way to get rid of the tar on the underside of the car is with a grinder and a wirewheel. Works fast and does a great job!
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

Hey Everyone. I am making some progress on the car but it is about to kick into full gear. I just ordered the motor mounts from Michael and his Jig thingy to get them mounted. I also finished the frame rails inside the engine bay. I thought they came out pretty good considering I used a mallet and a 2x4 to make them. I also remade the main mounts for the body. Here are some before and after shots. I am trying to use drop box for the first time to share photos so hopefully they aren't to big or show up at all. If it doesn't work I will repost using flickr.

Last edited by aka on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

VERY NICE!
Tacomaboy 1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tacomaboy 1 »

S-load of work that will for sure pay off. Looks great.
burn8
Roadster Nut

Post by burn8 »

on the seats, I have 2nd gen Rx-7 seats that will be going into my 1971 2000. The passenger side is going to be a tight fit and I will most likely need to relocate the emergency brake.

-Allan
mrsteve
Roadster Nut

Post by mrsteve »

Any updates? I'm starting to see more and more NC members (close) to me? This is great! I think I'm about 1hr45 from you? I'm new to the datsun platform, but I can be a extra set of hands if you need any help?

steve
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

There is some serious NC momentum in this forum, there are 7 in Winston-Salem alone - not bad for a town of 250,000!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

That is crazy! I am moving along but I am creating a lot of parts from scratch which is pretty tricky without a lot of large sheet metal tools.

I removed the entire passenger side rocker panel. I will post some pictures soon!

Later
aka
Roadster Nut

Post by aka »

Ok here are a few shots:

Got it on a rotisserie but it is flexing WAY to much because the floor and rockers are pretty much gone!

So I made this puppy to get the floor and rockers done. Then I can start to rotate it and the dolly will make a great welding table when I am done using it as a dolly.

Now it is sitting like this with support from the dolly and the rotisserie.

Engine mounts on with help from Micheal and Jig Thingy! Still need to do the sides but the main mounts are in place.

First thing is first. I need to find who did this quality repair because I have a hole in my screen porch and he might have some screening left!! Are you Freakin kidding me?

Now the fun stuff. The Rocker panel. This will have to be remade from scratch since I have no donor car. The entire bottom was rusted all the way down so I didn't even have to cut the bottom part to get it off.

Now that the rocker is out I am going to replace that entire section the floor is connected to. Then I can rebuild the rocker and replace this side of the floor. Then onto the other side!