Tires too old?

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

anthonymckay
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Tires too old?

Post by anthonymckay »

redroadster wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 am The tire ( a rain tire )actually does great suction in1/8 in water
You need to really study automechanics Dynamics , Vorec classes & or or become a dealer tech , going to schools , not just make up your version
Editing post to be more pleasant:
Please find me a single source about tire sipes creating suction.
Last edited by anthonymckay on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1967.5 SRL311-00112
1966 SPL311
2013 C63 AMG
2013 Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera (Track Toy :D )
unklpat
Roadster Fanatic

Post by unklpat »

Anthony, be careful. This is a thread I might reply on, but I fear my helpful/negative post ratio is leaning right. Oh, WTH, nibs are nothing more than remnants of the manufacturing process, sipes are designed to give more grip. or pliability(check my spelling). There is a reason that tire manufacturers have included sipes in their tires more often than not, in the last decade. Pat
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Redroadster is sometimes not very concise in his explanations. In this case I think all he is saying is that if the sipes are full of dirt, rock, tar, or whatever then the tires traction will be reduced. As far as suction I don’t know, but I do know that tires with lots of sipes will improve traction in snow, ice, or rain since they can add hundreds of cutting edges to your vehicles tires. Now as far as cleaning them out, I have never done so and don’t know of anyone else who has done so, but certainly for maximum traction on wet or icy roads having unobstructed sipes would be an advantage.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

anthonymckay wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:41 pm
redroadster wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 am The tire ( a rain tire )actually does great suction in1/8 in water
You need to really study automechanics Dynamics , Vorec classes & or or become a dealer tech , going to schools , not just make up your version
Editing post to be more pleasant:
Please find me a single source about tire sipes creating suction.
Suction is not quite correct, I was a service writer with montgomery wards auto ( for a short time) they had a extensive video on every thing tires , but also just starting at Datsun a man came to the dealership , he was teaching a advanced class on frt end alignment ,tires .
Have you ever tried to pick up a glass on a wet counter and it is like stuck to it , lift very hard and it's stuck , lift gently and it lifts normally,this happens to some extent in a tire in a rain soaked road , when it tries to pick up the tire it involves surface tension / hydraulics
Also the state hwy patrol (according to this 6o ish farmer ) held meeting where they examined the extreme importance of constant cleaning of the sipes especially the weep hole ones I am talking of
In the spring in the late 70s the rural folk came in droves to get there 620 trucks mostly in top shape for the growing season / summer- fall , most wanted a pick to clean out the tread , spending 30 mins
And taking the Mo state inspector cert.course a long part was on tire issues
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster