Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

funkaholik
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Small block Ford swap: Bellhousing first obstruction point

Post by funkaholik »

Just FYI, when my engine was out, I dropped my brother's foam LS mockup block in the Roadster just for fun. It actually fit quite nicely in there, with frame rail and hood clearance, so your SBF should be no problem.

LOVE the sleeper vibe idea. Just fit the largest, most-chambered mufflers that you can under there, and then maybe some resonators at the back too.
Erik Miller
Concord, CA
1970 Datsun SPL311-29945, owned since '95. Back on the road in 2022!
Two 1967 Mustangs
1981 VW Rabbit Truck, 1.6 turbo diesel
...Oh, and a daily driver.
viewtopic.php?t=19067
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Small block Ford swap: Bellhousing first obstruction point

Post by fairlane292 »

funkaholik wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:01 pm Just FYI, when my engine was out, I dropped my brother's foam LS mockup block in the Roadster just for fun. It actually fit quite nicely in there, with frame rail and hood clearance, so your SBF should be no problem.

LOVE the sleeper vibe idea. Just fit the largest, most-chambered mufflers that you can under there, and then maybe some resonators at the back too.
Interesting, thanks. Funny, not sure if I mentioned it but I’m also using a foam block. One of the best decisions I’ve made as tools go. Makes a world of difference in ease and capability. I’m planning on running a section of the Mustang k-member that goes under and between the double hump oil pan. I’m prob going to do the metal fab with the frame upside down then bolt the foam block and oil pan, also upside down to the motor mounts. Fabricating
and fitting the k-member (now additional roadster cross member) should to straight forward. Wouldn’t want to try that with the iron block motor but at about 11 pounds block and oil pan it’s just too easy. Plan is to build out everything possible and then get a new crate engine. I will make a few tests (ride height, pinion angle, etc) with an old iron block 302 I’ve had for years.