Hood Surface Temps from Top Mount T28 Turbo

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jhayden
Site Supporter

Re: Hood Surface Temps from Top Mount T28 Turbo

Post by jhayden »

Steve,

What type of ceramic coating did you use?

Normal operating temp for an LT1 is a little in excess of 210 degrees F. With ambient Texas summer temps in the 90s and with only 1/8” clearance under the unmodified factory hood (no louvers), we can empathize with you and your concerns for the hood paint. We used LizardSkin Original Thermal Ceramic Insulation under hood and fenders and have had zero problems with the clear coat in almost four years now. Of course, numerous other cooling related mods were made for the swap, but let’s not hijack this thread.

Jon

1969 SRL (stock)
1970 SRL LT1
SABLT194
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Hood Surface Temps from Top Mount T28 Turbo

Post by SABLT194 »

Thanks for the comments/ideas.

I did the bling top wrap around shield like Michael suggested. Also fabbed an air gap heat shield to go under the turbo and had it ceramic coated like the MC heat shield. I checked my hood temp after boosting things a bit and I was under 200F which I think will work dandy. If I do push it hard, ill certainly pop the hood to get things cooled down a bit faster.

The car keeps getting better as I fix little rattles and such. Plus, I finally figured out how to get the top folded up and down past my modified Autopower roll bar. Its kind of like an origami thing to get it folded to the point it'll pass buy the roll bar and fit down into what's left of the package tray space. PITA but hey it works.

Regards,
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1966 1600 SR20 DET Restomod
1969 Ford Thunderchicken 429 BBF Suicide Door Car
1994 Pontiac Formula - 355 M6 435 RWHP 11.54 @ 125 MPH
1971 Dodge Dart - Next Resto Mod Project Gen 3 392 Hemi with T56
2017 Ram 1500 Daily Driver