First Datsun-1969 SRL31107911

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Re: First Datsun-1969 SRL31107911

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

1969311 wrote:S Allen,

Very cool, thank you for doing that. Actually traced the coolant issue to a bad cap, and the carb tuning issue was I was backing the idle adjusting screw out to far, and not watching the linkage enough, thanks Greg :). Got the engine sounding really good, and went for a short drive last night at 11:40pm haha top dow and 36 degrees, but one of the biggest smiles I have had in a while.

Updates to come,

Chris

Welcome to "Roadster Therapy" :D :D :D
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Aidan Dawn,

I am starting to get the picture :)

My Uncle is coming down this week to help tinker. He had rebuilt the engine and trans. in the late 90's but never even broke it in because of the pinging (removed smog equipment, without changing stock distributor and needles, resulting in too much advance) Now that I was able to resolve that issue with a package from Tom at eastcoastroadsters, a new set of plugs, and a bit of carb tuning, we are both pretty excited.

Good to be here, thanks!

Chris
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

1969311 wrote:S Allen,

Very cool, thank you for doing that. Actually traced the coolant issue to a bad cap, and the carb tuning issue was I was backing the idle adjusting screw out to far, and not watching the linkage enough, thanks Greg :). Got the engine sounding really good, and went for a short drive last night at 11:40pm haha top dow and 36 degrees, but one of the biggest smiles I have had in a while.

Updates to come,

Chris
Yea, cool man, glad to help. I had the same problem a thousand years ago when I put SUs on my '73 620 Pick up truck and was educated by a local mechanic that specialized in Z cars.
Keep on smiling!!! Excited for you!!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Thanks,

I saw on the forum a bit about people having issues finding locally stocked replacement radiator caps, in my case it is certainly an old gasket not holding pressure.

I took some measurements and found a seemingly suitable gasket for replacement from Grainger.

Outer Diameter: 1â…ž" Inside Diameter: aprox-1" Thickness: â…›"

https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAING ... atId=16371

Any thoughts on this? I am thinking about ordering the set, to test one out for posterity.

Regards,

Chris
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Hello All,

Figured it was time for an update on things. The engine is currently stripped of carbs, manifolds, and starter. I am awaiting a remanufactured set of su's from Z Therapy.

Taking the time to work out some other details, rear brake job, installed the missing parking brake and linkage, reinstalled seats and belts, installed a bolt in roll bar from Mike, and a few misc gaskets (thermostat, rad cap, clutch cap, etc.)

I have the timing locked @ 16º, valve clearances adjusted to suggested cold specs, strong vacuum test, even compression test @ 175psi across the board, new rear diff gear oil, new trans oil, engine oil, filters ( oil, fuel, air), plugs, and generally taking things apart and cleaning them. Looking to get some new tires before the carbs show up.

I have been working on my gauges, and I built one of the solid state gauge voltage regulators but was unable to get either to respond. Looking at the sending unit on the block, and the sender from the tank. At any rate, things are cleaning up nicely, not to many horrid surprises upon digging, just really looking forward to getting back my carbs, and getting out on the road.

As a side note I had an old business partner reach out about a paint job, and so I am planning on having all body work and paint done by 2019 for her 50th birthday.

Modest goals to achieve with the SRL311; make it fun, reliable, safe, look good......in that order!

Current Abbreviated To Do List:

1) Front Brake Job
2) Ceramic Coat Headers
3) Reinstall Headers, Intake Manifold, and Carbs.
4)Fix gauges(fuel,temp),
5)Fix console map light, and cigarette lighter. (accessory power short?)
6)Fix Reverse Lights.
7)Repair or replace choke cables and housing.
8)Replace Tires, purchase spare.
9)Weld trunk tears, from stock fuel tank mounting stress.
10)Body work, and lots of it.
11)Replace all marker lamp bulbs.
12) Re weather strip hard top Window frames.
13) Paint Hardtop.
14) Fabricate bolt on seatbelt harness bar.
15) Re-upholster visors, doors, package tray walls, console, shift boot and parking brake boot in black leather.
16) Replace interior window trim.
17) Replace muffler and install flex pipe segment at the exhaust collector.
18) Install, fabricate, or jimmy some way to keep the hood closed.
19) Grease anything that needs it and secure anything that docent.

That should give me something to do in the New Year!

Thanks to all, and Happy New Year!

Chris
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Congrats on your car. You are very smart to be cautious and to read read read...Because there is a ton of info here on the site .
I would be sure each SU has a free piston by pushing up on the little pin and hearing the thunk as they drop. If one is slow or stuck, then redo the dome screws evenly checking the free drop as you do so. Then the ADQ needles are great, better idle etc. I also like the "magic number" method for setting the fuel mix adjustment...See the Tech Wiki for more info.
Was the engine broken in before parked? I would also ask about valve adjustments and head retorque.
Don't forget to get around to checking for all the zerks under the car and lubing
Have fun :)
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

Chris,
Late to the thread here but a real cool story so far. Very simialr to my story. Bought my 69 in 2013 and have been seeking and using the amazing advice on this website ever since. I have done much the same to mine as you have done so far. Love working on this car and love it even more when I'm rolling down the road in it. I had similar issues with fuel and temp gauge. Changed the temp sending unit, added a new VR and the temp gauge works great now. The fuel gauge, which didn't work at all until the new VR, only shows half full on a full tank now, so I'm gonna check the sender next. Ztherapy carbs were such a great investment. I have a spare set of carbs which I hope to send them in the future for a rebuild. (It'd be nice to have a spare pair ready to go if needed).
Anyway-look forward to reading about your progress. How far are you from San Luis Obispo? You planning on going to Solvang this year? If so, maybe we could meet up on you way and cruise there together.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Mellis18,

Thanks for the reply, great car, needs a lot but should be road worthy and reliable soon. Solvang would be a highlight, will depend entirely on how far I get, looks like I am 5 hours north of San Luis Obispo, but frequent Big Sur and Santa Cruz. So if everything lines up that would be great. Will post more pictures soon, I have been doing a lot on the car and need to upload to an alum, or blog or something. Any rate, thanks for reaching out, look to be on the road quite a bit and always good to have companions along the way. Happy motoring!
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Had some time this week and was able to properly install the gauge voltage regulator. Since the Datsun is having its carbs redone, I am unable to verify that it fixed the temperature gauge, but it seems to have fixed the issue with the fuel gauge, and I am cautiously optimistic that it cured the temp gauge as well. Thank you for the recommendation and wiki!

I was also able to sort out the issues with the reverse lights and center console light and lighter. Both of the front side marker lamps were rusted up, and need new bulbs, but electrically things are shaping up nicely, mostly just having to clean grounds and connections.

Choke cables/housing, tires and a replacement muffler. All is moving along well, and having a really good time along the way, thank you all who participate, and respond on the site, your insights are much appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
AidanDawn2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by AidanDawn2000 »

Nice work!
Oil a little low? Time to get a longer dipstick:)
Instagram!!!
1968 2000 SRL311-05110 (first car! Rust Bucket. Sold :( )
1969 2000 SRL311-10440 (matching numbers, Solex!)
Roadster Nut

Post by 1969311 »

Hello All,

It is that time again.....updates!

Been leaning on the list of things I'm working through. A few major steps along the way! I was able to complete items: 2-7, 11, 12, 13, and 18 off my last list :) (see above, or just trust that I currently have bloody knuckles and unremovable grease stains that I now call "skin")

After getting the carbs back, I have been chasing a cooling ghost, with the system wanting to start overheating and generally being testy, coolant surging after shut off, no heat from the heater, etc.... After: installing a new temp. sending unit/housing, 180deg. therm, rad/heater hoses, rad cap gasket, expansion cap, flushing/reverse flushing coolant, tuning the carbs, and all replacing all possibly afflicted gaskets, I was removing the fan/spacer/and water pump today for replacement and FINALLY found the problem. The coolant had crystalized and left a perfect plug where the water pump meets the block, preventing flow and causing general unhappiness for my roadster.

It appears after some scraping digging and poking, a good flushing, refilling, and burping... :Tosser: she runs cool and smooth.

Words fail me to express my excitement, and I was able to go for my first drive over 4miles with normal operating temps at both speed and at idle!(modest I know, but I exercised patience and avoided overheating the head, and causing any further harm to this beautiful machine, so I call victory....no matter how small or arbitrary!)

Registered for Solvang tonight, looking forward to seeing all the works of inspiration that will be there! Thank you to everyone who has participated in this community, I would not have gotten this far along this quickly without the information and insight available here.
Cheers, and happy motoring! :smt006

Chris

..... a nice reminder of how far this has come....
IMG_0898 copy 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Small victories are still victories! Congratulation on the progress and first drive!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Right on! Congrats
Dan
Houston, TX
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Great to see this thread pop back up again with good news!
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

Great work Chris!!! These cars are amazing and fun. Look forward to seeing ya in Solvang!!!
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe