paint effects

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Re: paint effects

Post by msampsel »

Krylon makes a winkle paint too you can probably find various examples of the different type of wrinkle paint.
Checked my engine paint and it is not as wrinkled as I thought.

Eastwood makes a wrinkle paint too, does not say anything about heating. Suspect the VHT wrinkles
whether you cure it or not (suspect the 200 degrees is just so it can withstand 350 degrees), their header paint requires some serious heat to cure.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

I just looked at it, the wrinkle effect is dramatic, way more than the original micro ball peen effect it had before. I may try to put it in the oven as they said it may reduce the wrinkle effect. I'm thinking I may have to sand it down later and recoat with some regular flat over it as it is very wrinkled and glossy, not a pretty sight at all at the moment.
1969 1600
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

ed B wrote:I just looked at it, the wrinkle effect is dramatic, way more than the original micro ball peen effect it had before. I may try to put it in the oven as they said it may reduce the wrinkle effect. I'm thinking I may have to sand it down later and recoat with some regular flat over it as it is very wrinkled and glossy, not a pretty sight at all at the moment.
Humm well with my home, the BBQ is a good alternative for heat!
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Mine is not glossy - don't know what happened there?
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Poobah
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Poobah »

ACE hardware has a spray paint that supposedly has the Hammered look. I have not used it though.

Steve
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

Thanks. Ill look at Ace as well. I guess I should have experimented on a trial piece first. I just very lightly sanded a part of it (sanding around and in the round holes will be a chore) and it knocked it down a good bit, but it is still soft so will probably need to wait a few days or heat it to cure. I followed the directions saying to put down at least 3 heavy coats seperated by 5 minutes each, alternating the directions. Maybe I should not have done the heavy coats or all three directions.
1969 1600
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

I've attached a photo of how the effect looks and also after I knocked it down a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Looks like too much paint.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I agree. Too heavily applied
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

I've found that using a heat gun works well. With a little practice, you can control the amount of wrinkle.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

spl310 wrote:I agree. Too heavily applied
Now you all tell me :). I just followed the directions. Normally spray cans say light coats, yet this one specifically said 'heavy" coats.
1969 1600
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

greydog wrote:I've found that using a heat gun works well. With a little practice, you can control the amount of wrinkle.
Dan
I was wondering if a heat gun could be used instead of putting it in the oven.
1969 1600
ed B
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ed B »

spl310 wrote:I agree. Too heavily applied
bakerjf wrote:Looks like too much paint.
Well I removed all the paint and started over. I tried experimenting using other paints. Tried flat black with various textures using cloth or paper towels, I tried texture paint and did not like any of the results. I then tried a Hammered finished which I really liked. However when it dried it turned from black to gray and was glossy, so I sprayed over it with a thin layer of flat black, but even that light coat was enough to negate the Hammered paint effect.

So I went back to the VHT Wrinkle Plus paint. I found that 2 to 3 light coats followed by the use of a heat gun worked best. It took a few tries to get it to where I liked it. You just had to cover the area you did not like with another light coat and apply the heat gun until it looked good (no need to remove or sand the existing coat).
I've attached a photo of my finished product.
after-20160611_174108_resized.jpg
I then went onto recovering the center console that holds the plate. I placed the vinyl in the sun for a while to get it more flexible and then sprayed on the adhesive and stretched the fabric over the console. I found I could get it to fit ok on the concave areas but not the convex area on the top portions. I could not find a way to shrink it. I finally ended up adding a fold to the top.
When it dried and cooled I found many stretch wrinkles appeared on the lower curve area, where it had been stretched to fit. I was goning to tear it off and try agin, but then recalled a tool I had that may help. About 30 years ago when I used to fly RC model planes we used to cover the wing surfaces with a mylar material and then heat it to remove wrinkles and melt the seams. I figured it was worth a try. It worked pretty well and got most of the wrinkles out from that stretched area near the bottom curve. I reassembled the console and repainted the lettering on the switch knobs and it looks pretty good. I've attached a before and after photo as well as the Tower Hobby Sealing iron.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ed B on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1969 1600
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

So much better!
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
ed B
Roadster Fanatic