Going KA-T

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Beams 3S-GE motor...any thoughts?

Post by Gregs672000 »

charlee0620 wrote:Alvin I've been looking at and looking some more and I just don't know. I mean it's gonna tighter virgin on prom night! Take a look at these PDF's I found. I know there by no mean exact but they give a good reference to work from. I've also been poking around the bay of my roadster to compare. Tell me what you think. I truly think it would be a cool swap and a lot of fun, but I don't want my first bite to be to big!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=140011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
With all due respect, while one has to start somewhere, an engine swap that radical requires at the very least some guidance from those who have been there and done that, or that you have a lot of time, money and tools to burn through to get it right. Not saying it cannot be done or that you cannot do it, but take your time, consult with as many knowledgeable folks as you can, and balance that with your budget, desires, and time. What do you want from your Roadster experience? When? We'll encourage and support you what ever you decide!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

charlee0620 wrote:Alvin I've been looking at and looking some more and I just don't know. I mean it's gonna tighter virgin on prom night! Take a look at these PDF's I found. I know there by no mean exact but they give a good reference to work from. I've also been poking around the bay of my roadster to compare. Tell me what you think. I truly think it would be a cool swap and a lot of fun, but I don't want my first bite to be to big!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=140011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
That is bitchin'! Nice find.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mattk
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

Gregs672000 wrote:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=140011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
With all due respect, while one has to start somewhere, an engine swap that radical requires at the very least some guidance from those who have been there and done that, or that you have a lot of time, money and tools to burn through to get it right. Not saying it cannot be done or that you cannot do it, but take your time, consult with as many knowledgeable folks as you can, and balance that with your budget, desires, and time. What do you want from your Roadster experience? When? We'll encourage and support you what ever you decide!
Greg I like to say that I truly appreciate your concern. Ive read about your beautiful swap and am very impressed and cant wait to see it at Slovang, and am looking forward to picking your brain (if you dont mind). :D
To address your concerns I'd like start with that once upon time I was an mechanical engineer and now a stay at home dad (which is a harder job!!). This project is to satisfy this inherent need I have to build, problem solve and swear loadly at inanimate objects :wink: This project is also my therapy/stress releif.
So as for time....I'm giving it ten years.
As for tools...love em!!...... Don't have enough of them.....gimme more of em!! Tools are the bacon of steel!! :smt003
As for budget...over ten years ....ya my wife is strickly funding what she is already calling her car :shock:
As for the the guidance and the picking of brains....hence the thread.
I'm mechically inclined, a perfectionist and been around cars most of my life.
But most importantly....I've always wanted to do a car!....and then another....and another :P :D 8)

As Mr Spock said ...."There a first time for everything, Mr. Savik....take her out!"

Cheers
Matthew
MattK
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Got it, dig it, love it!!! All for it! I've told many people that I learned more about myself and problem solving doing the Datsun than all the years in grad school. I've recently considered the word "Therapy" as a license plate for the Datsun, as it is so fitting... Sometimes you love it, other times you're irritated with it, but you pursevere through challenges and grow... Like a good committed relationship. That's really what it is, and I hear your desire for that same kind of relationship loud and clear in your post! Full speed ahead!

Just to set the record straight however, I do not have a swapped engine in my car. But she is very well modified and a source of much entertainment and self satisfaction/consternation/occasional frustration that just never gets old, and is going on 30 years now...! :D

I think you have the right attitude and desire to make it happen, and you and all of us will enjoy your journey!

Welcome to the insanity that is the family of ROADSTER!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Oops :oops: Greg I'm sorry I though yours was the black with gold and the gm v6. Still I hope you're heading to Slovang. I would love to sit down and talk about what you've done and learn. :D Either which way I'm not planning to invest in a motor until after Slovang. So I've got alittle time.

But good news, I'm actually going to start pulling her apart, catalogging parts and looking for rust!

I'm so excited :smt003

To all out there are there any thoughts on the beams swap? Or (if I do it) what I will call project "Beams me up!"

Matthew
MattK
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

charlee0620 wrote:Oops :oops: Greg I'm sorry I though yours was the black with gold and the gm v6.
That is Marshal's(MSmethers) roadster:
http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 8&start=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
charlee0620 wrote:Still I hope you're heading to Slovang. I would love to sit down and talk about what you've done and learn. :D
Greg going to Solvang? I didn't know he wanted to drive all the way down just to race me! Cool!
charlee0620 wrote:To all out there are there any thoughts on the beams swap? Or (if I do it) what I will call project "Beams me up!"
Why are you set on NA and not turbo?
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Alvin I'm not totally against a turbo, I just like the idea of getting 100hp per liter NA 8) plus not looking forward to all the plumbing....but now that I think of it I used to design hydraulic manifolds....precision plumbing with fractions of millimeters of tolerance. I guess if I can do that I can do the plumbing for a turbo, intercooler, intake and exhaust :) ...I got the time :!: but do I have the budget. SR20DET's are getting pricy. :?
They do have a beams turbo.....hmmmmm......my wife did use to drive a G35 coupe :D

Whatcha thinkin Alvin?
MattK
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

charlee0620 wrote:
Gregs672000 wrote:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthr ... tid=140011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew
Greg I like to say that I truly appreciate your concern. Ive read about your beautiful swap and am very impressed and cant wait to see it at Slovang, and am looking forward to picking your brain (if you dont mind). :D
To address your concerns I'd like start with that once upon time I was an mechanical engineer and now a stay at home dad (which is a harder job!!). This project is to satisfy this inherent need I have to build, problem solve and swear loadly at inanimate objects :wink: This project is also my therapy/stress releif.
So as for time....I'm giving it ten years.
As for tools...love em!!...... Don't have enough of them.....gimme more of em!! Tools are the bacon of steel!! :smt003
As for budget...over ten years ....ya my wife is strickly funding what she is already calling her car :shock:
As for the the guidance and the picking of brains....hence the thread.
I'm mechically inclined, a perfectionist and been around cars most of my life.
But most importantly....I've always wanted to do a car!....and then another....and another :P :D 8)

As Mr Spock said ...."There a first time for everything, Mr. Savik....take her out!"

Cheers
Matthew
Just go for it. The frame off I did was the most satisfying experience of my life. Took about 6 years, and the therapy was incredible. Now that it is complete, I'm going through serious withdrawals. (Greg, do you have any ideas for us roadsterholics?) So, I just needed to buy another one! #60 will probably take more then 6 years though. That's not really a bad thing, as I'll have continued therapy for years to come. We look forward to whatever you decide to swap. It sounds like you have the knowledge and time.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

Have you considered a V12?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Other-Co ... ars_Trucks

Just saying.. You could really blow the mind of those MG owners... "But did the MGB come with a V12?"
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

charlee0620 wrote: Whatcha thinkin Alvin?
I think if the driving force behind this engine swap is a command to Montgomery and the time frame is indefinite...I'm out.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Alvin wrote:
charlee0620 wrote: Whatcha thinkin Alvin?
I think if the driving force behind this engine swap is a command to Montgomery and the time frame is indefinite...I'm out.
Well, I'm confused! Is that Montgomery Scott, engineer?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Aye captain! :wink:

Either which way I've been doing even more poking around....and measuring....and consulting with...well consultants :roll:
This engine is really grabbing my interest :D ...and it looks like I'm gonna try a cardboard duct tape engine mock up to get a better idea of fit. :)
This might take a bit of time, which I've got, but I've found three places nearby (which in Texas speak means less than an hour away) one of which is "happy" to let me come out and measure the engine and trany 8)

Oh ya and I pulled a seat out of the car! The work has officially begun :smt003

Matthew
MattK
Mattk

Post by Mattk »

Okay so I just realized what empera is stuffing into his roadster :shock: :smt003

That is just awesome! And after rereading his build I feel even more motivated for the beams; if he can get it to work I should be able to do the Beams! :wink:

Matthew

Now I think I'll go rip out the other seat! :smt003
MattK
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Engage! Oh, wrong era...
Just remember, ya canna change the laws of physics! (I grew up on Star Trek... it actually shaped some of my social thinking).
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Half Fast Racing
Roadster Nut

Post by Half Fast Racing »

I have a BEAMS 3S-GE swapped into my 91 MR2. The motor is sweet, loves to rev. However, the swap was not that complicated, as Toyota used this motor in the MR2 in other countries, just not in the USA. Vendors can provide a rewired, plug & play harness, which removes wiring issues. Put it in a roadster? Looks like everything would have to be custom made.....
John Atchison
http://www.onewest.net/~jda/halffastracing.html
69 2000, 67.5 SPL/SR20DET
various roadster parts cars
MR2s and shifter karts !