Coolant Catch Can Color?

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mkiisupra
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Coolant Catch Can Color?

Post by mkiisupra »

Riddle me this Batman!?

What is the original color of the coolant catch/overflow can?

I am in the middle of rebuilding the motor/dressing up the engine bay, and I could quite determine what was the original finish. I am not completely picky, just wanted to know.

Its painted black now, but I have seen them in the plain copper finish underneath. Not always polished out to bling status.

I have had quite a fun time painting a zinc finish on some of the relays on my empty engine bay dress-up quest.

Thanks in advance,

Eric G
Modesto, CA
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Re: Coolant Catch Can Color?

Post by spl310 »

All that I have seen were originally gloss black...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
mkiisupra

Post by mkiisupra »

Thank you for the info, I also checked with Bill C. who is rebuilding the motor, said the same. I have seen a few that were polished brass, and a couple that oxidized afterward. Black (make mine semi/satin, please) it is!!

Gracias,

Eric G
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

HTH! They actually do look nice in a high gloss black. I have not seen a satin one - just faded dull gloss ones. The polished ones look good for a few days...
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

If you're planning on black, go with the Gloss Black. Satin or Flat may/will catch any and all dust/dirt that lands on it and will keep it permanently. I've also seen them painted with Radiator paint.

However, the polished look can be extremely appealing... especially if you have polished the head or carburators or other items in the engine bay. To keep it from tarnishing, which brass WILL do in very short order, you need to top-coat it with some sort of clear paint.

Clear powdercoating would be great, except the container has been soldered together and I'm not sure that the solder would withstand the 400° F needed to cure powercoating.

I polished mine and then clear-coated it with a product from the POR folks called Glisten PC. It is a two-part clear coat that will set hard enough to protect your wheels, but does require a day or two to set properly.
Here's a link to their site:
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=GPC&dept=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've attached a picture of the overflow container in my engine bay but disregard the loose wiring as that was due to tracing a short in the original wire harness...

FWIW
E
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mkiisupra

Post by mkiisupra »

Gracias, gracias for the replies...

I put the same paint on the can as the rest of the bay, semi-gloss. The bay is about 80% finished. Better than the faded, several spot jobs on top of original white, and easier to clean than it was. It is totally understood about the dust issue, however didn't want the full gloss effect, too much to keep up with, and not the final solution with the paint.

Worked on reinstalling the coil and 're-zinc'd' resistor/relays with cleaned up and shiny wiring (including plug blocks) the rest of the weekend.

Traded some DVD/TV/Amp wiring help for a decent radiator shroud, will get to that this weekend. Wait until you see the pictures of the guilty piston of doom, complete with broken oil ring!! Gather 'round kids for the soon coming tales of mismatched combustion chambers!!

Eric G
Modesto, CA

Nor Cal Fun: Polar Bear Run 2009 - First Saturday in March, more info soon...