Nissan Racer Paul Newman, 83

A place to pay tribute to fallen folks

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FairladySPL
Roadsteraholic

Nissan Racer Paul Newman, 83

Post by FairladySPL »

I met Paul Newman once at Summit Point Raceway in West Virginia. He was in his 60s and cranking away in a Z-Car. What struck me was how NORMAL he seemed, not the bigtime actor, but just a guy in the pit who enjoys cars. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Excerpted source Yahoo News:
In the 1970s, Newman, admittedly bored with acting, became fascinated with auto racing, a sport he studied when he starred in the 1969 film, "Winning." After turning professional in 1977, Newman and his driving team made strong showings in several major races, including fifth place in Daytona in 1977 and second place in the Le Mans in 1979.

"Racing is the best way I know to get away from all the rubbish of Hollywood," he told People magazine in 1979.

Newman later became a car owner and formed a partnership with Carl Haas, starting Newman/Haas Racing in 1983 and joining the CART series. Hiring Mario Andretti as its first driver, the team was an instant success, and throughout the last 26 years, the team — now known as Newman/Haas/Lanigan and part of the IndyCar Series — has won 107 races and eight series championships.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--Paul / Annapolis
DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Nissan Racer Paul Newman, 83

Post by DaRoaster »

AP photo

After I saw "The Hustler" I realized Minnesota Fatts was a character in that movie before he was personified by real life pool players. Jackie Gleason was great in that role.

My earliest memories of Paul Newman are of his roles in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, and the Sting. He leaves behind quite a legacy.

RIP Paul Newman.
Dennis
1970 1600
CWhip

Post by CWhip »

"I can eat 50 eggs" :Tosser: Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorites by Newman along with the Hustler and The Color of Money. I too was sad to hear of his passing. I believe Adam Carolla owns that race car now, he's talked about it on his radio show before.

Chad
RC240z
Roadsteraholic

Post by RC240z »

Adam does have a Paul Newman car, but not that one. It is an 83 or 84 Trans AM Z car.
67.5 2000, SRL 311 000305 Solex
A race car since new!
Instagram #RC240Z #geoskyalert

check out my blog at www.rcnetworksracing.com