Harmonic balacer

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Harmonic balacer

Post by SLOroadster »

Does anyone know if the harminic balacer on a U20 is specific to each crank? I found a crack in mine and need to replace it. I have a 2nd one but it is balanced differently from my origanal. I really don't want to have to pull my crank again to balace the thing. I'm wondering because I have the NISMO aluminum flywheel, and I don't think the crank was balaced during the previous rebuild of the engine, and things don't need to be any more out of balace with each other.
-Will
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Harmonic balancer

Post by spl310 »

Will,

They should all be balanced the same. If you are looking at the drill marks for the balancing, that is not necesarily an indication of how it was balanced. If the outer ring on your original one cracked, it may have walked a bit, so putting it on the balancer will give a different reading than the uncracked one.

Sid
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
TR

Balance

Post by TR »

Ya, it is typically too expensive for a manufacturer to balance the dampener/crank/flywheel combo. Instead they balance each part individually.

A good speed shop will balance everything.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

crack

Post by SLOroadster »

I found the crack on the outside of the key way on the shaft where it fits through the front timeing cover. I have a feeling the crack has been there for a very long time. I'm not going to balace the whole nine yards (against my better judgment) I just want to get the thing out of my friends driveway where it has sat since last July. I think the crank is fairly well balanced as it is, when it was running before it didn't dance around. Im sure it could be better but I wan't to go to Solvang with it in a month.
Will