Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DCroadster
Roadster Nut
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Putting 2000 engine together

Post by DCroadster »

All,

Got block back from machinist and will put crank and pistons in. Have all mains and connecting rod bolts.
I rec'd car with engine disassembled and head off.
All the timing gear and cover were already removed and all hardware has disappeared, including for the water pump and fuel pump.
Besides the Datsun Roadster Book, is there an easier to use listing off all the bolts/washers with thread size and lengths?
Of all the vendors, I have not seen bolt kits.

Thanks,
Rob
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Putting 2000 engine together

Post by Gregs672000 »

Rob, the only bolt listing I see in the tech wiki is for the front cover bolts under Engine. If an owner/vendor here knows and/or wants to make a list I agree it would be a good addition to the wiki.

A U20 is a pretty straightforward build, with the only potentially confusing parts being (and important to get right) timing chain gear alignment, and the distributor gear alignment. If you don't have a manual download one from the wiki. Torque specs etc are also listed in various places in the wiki. Let us know if you need any guidance or confirmation of things, we're happy to help. There are pics of the timing gear alignment and numerous postings about the distributor gear (fun fun fun!). Note that the timing gears do wear and sometimes need to be replaced if you haven't already... if unsure post pics and we'll let you know. Also, be aware of the need to shim the upper chain tensioner and inspect the "evil L" part of the chain guide for chain strikes if being reused.

Enjoy!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic

Post by jrusso07 »

This is a pretty good resource but not complete. https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/sports-1965-1970

Some numbered parts have the size in the name/title/ Others, I look up the partnumber ("Nissan + part number") on google and sometimes the description is there...sometimes not
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Rob,
Agree, many cars have bolt kits. Remember you're working on a rare bird based on production numbers, so my guess it was never profitable. You and the friendly tribe here are the last remaining team. That said, we're just caretakers while we have them, if cared for (as you are pursuing) they will outlive our ownership.
In addition to the manual jrusso07 mentioned, here's some of what you need and a few odds-n-ends that creeped into the photos. Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
DCroadster
Roadster Nut

Post by DCroadster »

Thanks Greg/Joe/Dave!! This will definitely help me in the quest for hardware. I am putting all new hardware in especially all the timing parts.

It is interesting that the U20 was also a forklift engine so some of the items I get from the forklift guys like the keys for the crank and jackshaft.

I wish the previous owner that disassembled the engine had heard of plastic bags, but I am glad you guys are around to help.

I have time while I have the AL head checked for flatness to finish scrounging for bolts. Don't want to cut the surface if I don't have too. Says he has a flat plate that he can bring up to temperature to try to unwarp head if it is.

Have a good feeling that at 80K miles something happened with the timing and they pulled the engine. That was in 1977 last registration. Has been floating around the country since then and moved from CA to here in DC.

Rob
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

DC, Just a note, I think the forklift motor that was used included the R20 and/or R16, 99% sure the U20 was not. Yes, many parts are interchangeable, (maybe the various shaft keys) that said, before you buy-------ask, many very knowledgeable guys here that can tell you which items will work. Enjoy the addiction. dave
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

The U20 was never a forklift motor. Sure, the rods and crank could be swapped, but the H20 stuff is very inferior to the U20 bits. U20s were only used in 2L roadsters.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

No clue why this just double posted.
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
toadman
Roadster Nut

Post by toadman »

Is your car a black one purchased from a guy in NE Ohio? I saw the car on several occasions and he told me he sold it to a guy in the DC area. I believe the motor was in a state of dis-assembly.
DCroadster
Roadster Nut

Post by DCroadster »

Yes, it is the one. I have just dropped in the crank and pistons. And polished the timing cover.

Will drop off the flywheel and see if my heads (original and spare) are flat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toadman
Roadster Nut

Post by toadman »

Looks good so far. It’s a pretty involved project to acquire the parts to assemble a motor like the U20, given its age and already mentioned rarity. I would suggest you consider the cylinder head studs as far as those fasteners are concerned. I would say everything is out there, it’s just a matter of identifying what you need and posting that here or on the FB page. I thought your cars body looked pretty good, but it’s probably a 2-4 yr project to reassemble properly. I just spent 2 1/2 yrs on mine, and I (thought) I had all the parts and the motor was already rebuilt.
DCroadster
Roadster Nut

Post by DCroadster »

I got it mainly because of the rust-free body. I can handle the mechanical stuff, doing body/paint work in the DC area is expensive.
But did notice that parts are hard to find and expensive due to the rarity.
Having fun sourcing parts.
Also not going to worry about paint/body, just get it drivable to enjoy. Fix all the mechanicals now and put in a new interior.

Rob