What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: What did you do TO or FOR your Datsun today?(Roadsters only)

Post by Gregs672000 »

Today I did one of my most disliked maintenance chores... lubricating the suspension. This one was different however as I decided it was time to replace the seeping gear oil in the steering box with the John Deere Corn Head grease cure. Located some at a local dealer (cheap, like $7.00 with tax). After lubing up the suspension with the typical stuff, I swapped in the tube of corn head grease, cleared the gun and filled the box after draining out the gear oil. I filled it via the access portal on the side of the box until I could see it was full via the large upper threaded plug. I used about 2/3rds or more of the cartridge which surprised me. You will want to use a grease gun, and be prepared for dealing with grease on stuff when you swap cartridges. It was definitely a different grease than others I've seen, and after doing some research it seems to have some important properties that makes it very well suited to steering gear boxes like ours. Anyway, the hardest part was cleaning up all the grease that always seems to get on everything... hate that stuff. One more thing done to get ready for summer!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Thanks for the tip Greg, ""filled via side access" I'd have figured this out after---too late; headed to J. Deere today.

Got far enough for some dry assembly, making sure all the bits are right-side-up, before torque and gaskets.
dry assembly.jpeg
Dry assembly2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Also, got the suspension further along (I've learned to never say done.) The LSD, bilstiens, springs, sway and blocks. Thanks JT and Dean for the new-to-me bits, and, many of you guys: (Steve, Steve, and on and, on) for the recycled bits. (sheesh, It'll be hard to take those bilstiens out in the rain.)
new discs, springs, sway and bilsteins jpeg.jpeg
new bilsteins, LSD and blocks.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

And the brakes keep coming. BTW I used Kruse in Chino, CA for re-sleeving. Mines a driver on a budget so if you can replace with OEM, go to one of our vendors. Kruse charged $80 per. (get 'em done now) Apparently all the sleeves(s) have left the north west, so NY or N. Jersey or Kruse. Sent in January, received this week, long wait, but IMO well done. (FWIW, I think Moss has a new casting also).
Front line before.jpeg
Front brakes .jpeg
New Sleeves.jpeg
Never underestimate line bending by Mr. Spriso or others.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Wow man, looking freakin GREAT! Hope I get to see this car in person some day!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Nded
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nded »

Installed the floorboard insulation in SPL311-00054 today:

Ed Qualls - Largo Florida
Has Car Owner Virus

1965 Morgan Plus 4
1966 SPL311-00054
1978 Mercedes 450SL
1997 BMW Z3
2003 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante
2012 Lexus IS250C
202X Tesla Roadster waiting list
A few others that are not that interesting
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Car is coming back in a month from the body shop with the paint job done. So I'm sorting and bagging parts for the return.

As I was going through containers I decided to deal with the heater valve. As is usual with these things you're lucky if you get the screws out. I only had one original screw left and it is the ancient retired M4-0.75. It is a pain to find someone that sells them but there are a couple.

I decided I was not going to deal with it and made a spreadsheet a long time ago of the screw size dimensions and the next usable size up. So I drilled it out and ran an 8-32 tap through it. That's the end of that problem.

Valve with one old screw and new on left. Used it for a trial run since the heater pipe had been cut down. Finished one on right. That is if the photo would load right.

20240510_153432.jpg
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
vorpal
Roadster Fanatic

Post by vorpal »

1967.5 1600: Combination turn signal stalk was flickering between high and low beam when I used the turn signal... flaky contact. Tried contact cleaner, no luck. So I pulled it off the car, swapped in a used one from Ross (had to pull the circlip and separate the center out to swap over the missing horn contact:
20230325_121820.jpg
Got the two swiches apart, transferred over the horn contact and re-assembled. Installed in the car and the headlight contact works perfectly, as does the horn. No signal lights now!

However, I noticed there was a spring and a square copper contact on the work pad on the bench (always do small fiddly part manipulation over a catch-all pad). Removed and pulled apart the centre section and saw were the spring and leaf contact sit inside the outer section (under the two slots on the left in the pic. They line up with the multi wire contact section to enable each turn signal as the stalk is rotated up or down inside the housing. Also, don't forget the large spring seated between the two cast pieces that help the signal stalk recentre. You have to basically balance the leaf contact on the small spring, the large spring wedged between the metal retainers and carreeefffuuulllllyyy line up the centre section and press back together. Don't mess up the spring and contact alignment or you're pulling it apart and re-centering. Only took 3 tries, but I got it.

Reinstalled in the 67.5 and now hi-low beams work great, turn signals work great and... no horn.

AARRGGHHHH!!! Went inside. Will tackle tomorrow.
Rob
1969 Datsun 2000 Solex # 12921
1967.5 Datsun 1600 # 14262
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo
another 1990 300ZX Turbo
1993 300ZX Convertible
new garage DONE Oct 2019!!!
Edmonton, Canada
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

I believe my Canadian friends referred to this as "Molson time"... eh?
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ACote »

Not all today but me and a buddy swapped the rear end with the LSD installed. Got some fresh 175/70/14 tires. Then i cleaned her up and got her to shipping. Off to Georgia for storage while I'm in Japan! Image