Too Much Negative Offset?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Too Much Negative Offset?

Post by theunz »

A good paint job starts with a great prep job. You have to get ANY dirt, oil, or grease off first. Then a thorough sanding to give the paint some bite, then a quality primer sealer followed more sanding before using good paint. It’s a lot of work and you will have a fair amount money invested. Have you considered power coating them? They will media blast them and save you a ton of work. The powder coat will stick to the aluminum much better and last a very long time. The drawback, other than cost, is that if you curb one you can’t just hit it with some paint.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I agree that you need to get them as clean and oil free as you can, but I didn't do anything special when I did my Cosmics many years ago, or my 280zx wheels previously. It is a lot of work to clean and mask everything off so I understand. However I think the wheel paints are designed to deal with less than perfect surfaces vs some more sensitive paints. I never had any problems with lift or flaking. Eventually I was convinced to have the Cosmics powered coated while they were being straightened, but I don't think they look any better than when I painted them, and the guy actually missed a couple spots I didn't see until later, and I paid a fair amount to have them done as I recall. The powder coat is thicker and smoother looking than the paint. Oh well, hard to notice unless you're looking very closely. Given the results vs the cost (and that I like to do things myself) I would be just as happy with paint.

I think the wheels are going to look great!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by fairlane292 »

I would suggest not rolling fenders because the rim offset is wrong. Tons of great wheel choices.
Did you happen to try them on the front as to fender clearance when fully turned. Just my ,02, I’d sell and recoup whatever and move on to correctly offset rims. That’s easy…
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by fairlane292 »

Ignore my comment. I was reading an early post on page 1 of 3.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Matt, they look great. My vote would actually be---- as-is. However, if you are set on black, and perhaps on a budget, POR-15 comes in gloss and flat black. Locally (around here) it is less expensive than powdercoat, just as durable. It will be bullet proof. A bit tedious to do all the webs but obviously you have the skills.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next