What gas cap type do I have in order to get the correct cover repair kit

Here you can post pictures of those unidentified parts so others in the know can help.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

What gas cap type do I have in order to get the correct cover repair kit

Post by fairlane292 »

(I could not find anything in search that specifically helps with identifying the cap I have and getting the right Type cover repair kit.)

I want to replace the little cover on my '68 gas cap (which I believe is original but of course not 100% certain). On DatsunParts.com the underside did not match type A, B or C but was similar to A and B. The top matched B and C (thought the A picture is not very discernable); so I went with B and the cover doesn't sit flush on the cap; Dean said it looks like I need type A but since neither the front or back pictures on their website for A, look like mine, I need to try to get clarification on this before playing very expensive shipping ping pong.

I've attached top and underside pictures of mine here. If anyone can offer some help on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Jim
IMG-5220.JPG
IMG-5221.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: What gas cap type do I have in order to get the correct cover repair kit

Post by DAC21 »

fairlane292 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:47 am (I could not find anything in search that specifically helps with identifying the cap I have and getting the right Type cover repair kit.)

I want to replace the little cover on my '68 gas cap (which I believe is original but of course not 100% certain). On DatsunParts.com the underside did not match type A, B or C but was similar to A and B. The top matched B and C (thought the A picture is not very discernable); so I went with B and the cover doesn't sit flush on the cap; Dean said it looks like I need type A but since neither the front or back pictures on their website for A, look like mine, I need to try to get clarification on this before playing very expensive shipping ping pong.

I've attached top and underside pictures of mine here. If anyone can offer some help on this I'd really appreciate it. Thanks, Jim

IMG-5220.JPG

IMG-5221.JPG
Yeah, your cap isn't covered in the Photos on Dean's site. I would have said repair kit three as your cap doesn't have the two tines that jut straight out, but the screw pattern looks like they are like type 1 and 2 caps. I believe if the key for your gas cap does not work for any other keyed part of the car then it probably isn't original to the car.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate
iloveredmeat
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by iloveredmeat »

DAC21 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:21 pm
fairlane292 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:47 am (I could not find anything in search that specifically helps with identifying the cap I have and getting the right Type cover repair kit.)

IMG-5220.JPG

IMG-5221.JPG
Yeah, your cap isn't covered in the Photos on Dean's site. I would have said repair kit three as your cap doesn't have the two tines that jut straight out, but the screw pattern looks like they are like type 1 and 2 caps. I believe if the key for your gas cap does not work for any other keyed part of the car then it probably isn't original to the car.
Hey Jim, I have two caps exactly like that. One of which is my original 67.5 1600 cap. I know it is original, because I have one key that fits all locks, including the gas cap.

The issue with Dean's replacement flap is that it has a rubber washer and a machined collar at the base of the post on the flap.

In order to get it to seat low enough on the cap base, you would need to remove the rubber o-ring, and file down the collar, so the post is one diameter from top to base.

See the attached photo... you can see my broken post, which broke clean off at the base, and it is a straight post with no collar.

The bigger issue in my opinion – and I am discussing this with Dean – is that the diameter of the replacement flap is 38mm, and the original flap (on mine yours and some others) is 36mm. Many are 38mm, but many are not. I'm waiting to hear back from Dean, but thought it worth mentioning.

Dean may chime in here, but if I hear anything more, I will post here.

To be clear, I don't think being 1mm off center will make much of a difference visually, and if you can get it to sit flush, you'll have a beautiful cap with Dean's replacement.

Good luck,
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter
––
1967.5 1600 – Second Owner – Under Reconstruction
1970 Honda CT70
1953 Airstream 21' Flying Cloud – Second Owner
davdav2000
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by davdav2000 »

Look. I would recommend just buying a new or very good used cap that works with the correct flap, etc. Period.
There are differences on what the insides look like, but get a proper 63-69 cap.
In my opinion, you will not get a proper refurb kit to fix yours that you will be satisfied with. I could be wrong. My opinion.
Getting a new NOS or used one is very expensive, but I'd do it. I obtained NOS for mine after F-ing around.
David
70 SRL
68 SPL
68 SPL Parts car
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsunparts.comInc »

"The issue with Dean's replacement flap is that it has a rubber washer and a machined collar at the base of the post on the flap.

In order to get it to seat low enough on the cap base, you would need to remove the rubber o-ring, and file down the collar, so the post is one diameter from top to base.

The bigger issue in my opinion – and I am discussing this with Dean – is that the diameter of the replacement flap is 38mm, and the original flap (on mine yours and some others) is 36mm. Many are 38mm, but many are not. I'm waiting to hear back from Dean, but thought it worth mentioning.

To be clear, I don't think being 1mm off center will make much of a difference visually, and if you can get it to sit flush, you'll have a beautiful cap with Dean's replacement.

Good luck,
Peter
[/quote]"

Peter, If the customer buys the correct variant you don't have to remove or machine anything, it is already done.
True the cap we provide as a replacement is the late style modified for the early caps and it is not a perfect fit. The early caps new have been sold on Ebay for over $500.00 new and 2 or 3 hundred used with the cap in place.
Years ago I spent a fortune on the tooling for the one we created and realized I probably need to make the early ones however the manufacture was bought out and smaller projects like this were not continued. I am working off my remaining inventory and no more will be provided.
Jim's issue will be resolved for free. I just may look for someone to do the early cap lid. I guarantee you they will be $200.00 for a low production run part. I will let the group know when they are available.
https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... t?variant= Read here for the details
Hover over the Cap photo for the description It has always been there.

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Thanks Dean,
I guess the problem is that if someone has that particular style of cap, they don’t know which variant to buy, because it’s not shown.

Photos of that style would eliminate confusion, and I’m happy to send you photos or my cap so you can photograph it.

I don’t doubt for a second that you’re making it right, you’re consistent that way.

Thanks for even making ANY flap.
Peter
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Thanks to all. I've cleaned up the part number with photos and a more detailed description.
Hover your mouse over the photos for the explanation of the photos. You identify which variant you need by looking at the hole for the door post in the front of your cap, not the back side.
Thanks to Peter's and Jim's help in discovering a 4th variant See the revised section here:
https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... 0342247608

Dean
New Shopping cart web-site. More parts on display in our showroom than most vendors carry in their entire inventory! 2900 active parts numbers in our catalog. 2020 Inventory piece count- 96,155 parts on hand! "Shop A Movie" at our web-site
iloveredmeat

Post by iloveredmeat »

Thanks Dean, that's so much better!

Appreciate you taking the time to clarify the differences.

Pm
Peter
––
1970 Honda CT70
fairlane292
Roadster Fanatic

Post by fairlane292 »

Datsunparts.comInc wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:26 am "The issue with Dean's replacement flap is that it has a rubber washer and a machined collar at the base of the post on the flap.

Good luck,
Peter
"

Peter, If the customer buys the correct variant you don't have to remove or machine anything, it is already done.
True the cap we provide as a replacement is the late style modified for the early caps and it is not a perfect fit. The early caps new have been sold on Ebay for over $500.00 new and 2 or 3 hundred used with the cap in place.
Years ago I spent a fortune on the tooling for the one we created and realized I probably need to make the early ones however the manufacture was bought out and smaller projects like this were not continued. I am working off my remaining inventory and no more will be provided.
Jim's issue will be resolved for free. I just may look for someone to do the early cap lid. I guarantee you they will be $200.00 for a low production run part. I will let the group know when they are available.
https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... t?variant= Read here for the details
Hover over the Cap photo for the description It has always been there.

Dean

[/quote]

Thanks Dean for "really" taking care of my cap's cover replacement and going the extra mile by insisting to even cover the shipping costs.
Of course you got the cover to sit flush and it has smooth motion with nice resistance. Looks great too. I didn't send you the key but I just tested the lock and it still works and operates easily. Thanks again for the top level customer service. Jim
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

You are welcome Jim. All a customer has to do if they feel they have a problem is ask and you did exactly that, which saved you hundreds of dollars in buying an original that has a door that is held on, not by a screw and Loctite like ours, but a peening of the end post. Those will eventually fall off as you accelerate away from the pump. Yours will last a lifetime.

Dean
Datsunparts.comInc
Roadsteraholic

Now we have the exact gas cap lid that matches your gas cap. You asked for it and we have it. Now available, the early 36mm key cover and also the late gas cap 38 mm key cover in our popular kits. More pictures, select the variant to see the key cover that comes with your kit.

https://datsunparts.com/products/datsun ... 0342247608

Thanks for looking.

Dean