PROPS!!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

PROPS!!

Post by DatsunBucky »

I am a member of seven forums that deal with autocrossing (I know there are a lot more, but those are the ones I subscribe to). I just want to take this opportunity to commend all the nice people that frequent the Datsun Roadster boards, you guys (and gals?) are the best!

Thanks especially to Steve A. for spending the time and resources to keep this one going. Thanks, Steve! :D :D

So as winter approaches, this board will undoubtably keep my enthusiasm going to work on my little baby. It's kinda sad seeing him under a tarp with snow on him in the yard (already!). There is so much I am going to do, but since I can't take the boat out of the "barn" (Tuff Shed), I'll probably have to wait until spring to continue working on him. Bummer. :(

Sorry, OHC guys, but pushrods and RWD FOR...EV...VER!!
Bucky
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Ever thought about getting another tuff shed? :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Yep, but the area next to the garage is 10' wide, the boat is 8'2", the door to the "barn" is offset 1'10" from the fence and there is only 7' between the house and the "barn. You cannot put the boat in on the back of a vehicle because of the angle it has to go to clear everything. It takes me about two hours to put the boat in (I have to use a come-along and blocks to move it up the slope from the driveway) and only a little less time to remove it from storage. I only do each once a year.

However, if I sold the boat.... Dunno if the wife would go for that, but then I could work on the car during the winter. If I had the money. <sigh>

Guess I'll collect parts during the off-season and put them on after the weather warms up a bit.

BTW, has anyone actually weighed a low-windshield roadster? I've seen a couple different weights listed, but not sure what they really weigh in at. Just curious.
Bucky
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Post by Guest »

alving wrote:Woops! I guess my roadster is overweight! This link says a U20-powered 311 is 2006lbs.
http://www.datsuns.com/modelguide/model ... adster.htm

Maybe they didnt have a roll bar and a dead body in the trunk.
When the factory weighted their roadster..
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I could be wrong, but I think that the factory weight is without gas. Since gas weighs in at about 6lbs/gallon and the Roadster has about 11 gallons capacity, that would be half of your car's obesity. The other half is probably the roll bar and any non stock items that were added (that thick rear shelf padding for example.)
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Uh, oh. SCCA Prepared rules say 1.05 lbs/cc, and at 1595cc, that works out to 1674.75 lbs. Using the weight off that link, I am at 1773 lbs now. I have measured 211lbs out of the car so far, but still have to put a rollbar and instruments back in. But fiberglass fenders, etc will take some wight out. I guess I'll just have to weigh the car when I'm done and go from there.
Bucky
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

weight

Post by SLOroadster »

My car is about 2100 lbs with most of a tank of gas and roll bar. I have no carpet, and when I weighed it the trunk was empty.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

DatsunBucky wrote:Uh, oh. SCCA Prepared rules say 1.05 lbs/cc, and at 1595cc, that works out to 1674.75 lbs. Using the weight off that link, I am at 1773 lbs now. I have measured 211lbs out of the car so far, but still have to put a rollbar and instruments back in. But fiberglass fenders, etc will take some wight out. I guess I'll just have to weigh the car when I'm done and go from there.
I guess you are gonna make like the scene in Armegeddon and start yanking out another 101 lbs worth.

You can start by taking or consider the passenger seat, spare tire, heating components, interior, and center console. :lol:

Or, stroke it... Yeah baby !!! :twisted:
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Minh wrote:You can start by taking or consider the passenger seat, spare tire, heating components, interior, and center console. :lol:
Already took all that stuff out. The only stuff left is that sound-deadener shi...er..."material" they stuck on the floorboards and sprayed in the doors and under the hood. I don't know how to post pix, or I would send along one where the interior is hardly recognizable as a Roadster.
Bucky
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Posting Pics

Post by S Allen »

Bucky,

Send 'em to me and I will post them sooner or later. :wink: Here is the one you sent of the stripped dash. http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/strippeddash.jpg

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

1600 interior

Post by SLOroadster »

Bucky,
those floor boards look better than mine. As for a new dash, you might take a piece of aluminum and refabricate it, then have a crinkle powdercoat done. Look at Bob Davis's car (SRL 305) on www.datsun.org. You would never know that the dash isn't correct.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

At this point in time, I plan to fabricate a small aluminum panel and mount it in the middle of the space where the dash used to live, just large enough to mount what gauges I need.

The tach I plan on installing on the cowl, in front of where the windshield wiper used to be. Otherwise the small steering wheel will block it. It will still be out of my line of sight as far as looking at the course, etc.

Then a small panel of switches on the tunnel where I can reach them while buckled in. No sense adding another item to the "AutoCross Routine". :D
Bucky
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

DatsunBucky wrote: Then a small panel of switches on the tunnel where I can reach them while buckled in. No sense adding another item to the "AutoCross Routine". :D
Yeah like a start button - no key. :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug