Greetings from germany...

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

wodca
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Greetings from germany...

Post by wodca »

Hello,
so I am the new one, but first of all I am the one without a proper car. :smt013

BUT:
I fell in love with a lady.

Seven words that can ruin a mans life completely.
As I´m married, this would mean the second bankrupt in my bio :wink:

Long story short, I am looking for an oldtimer, or as you say a vintage car.
I´m nearly 50 years old, it may be summed up as a midlife crisis, but it´s just the fact that I always dreamed of having a great vintage car,
and now the question is simply: Why wait ? And I can´t find a true reason...
Something nice and sporty just for fun to drive if I don´t have to play taxi driver for my family.
I´ve checked them all, Mercedes SL, Triumph Spitfire or TR4, MGB, MGC, but they all were blown out of my mind as I saw
the first "fairlady". Was a big wow effect.
These cars are extremely rare and hard to find in europe, they were exported overseas to nearly 100%.

Hard to find means, it´s nearly impossible without travelling all across europe.
I know you americans might be laughing about this, but I´m a smalltown boy from a small country, so driving 250 miles to
a dealer that has only one of these cars is quite a big issue for me.
Did I mention that I´m married and have 12y old twins ? I´m busy. Always, but it tends to get better...

So I found this one, in a country not too far away:

https://www.hofman.nl/auto/14826/datsun ... 00-spl311/

I contacted the dealer for some more information like history, invoices, documentation, car-id etc, waiting for an answer.
I´m not looking for a perfect car. i need a solid driver. A car that takes me to grow with the things that are to be done.
As a mechanic I am a noob, gifted, but untalented. Learning quickly.
Nevertheless I tend to buy the best car I can get. price in the advertisement must be negotiated...

Maybe someone can look at the numerous pictures.
Does anyone see a real showstopper ? Something that should (or must) prevent me from buying this car ?
I can judge myself fairly good. And I know when I take the ride to see the lady, I won´t want to leave without her.
I´m weak...

Aside the rock chips that can bee seen on the picture, there might be many more.
The upright assembly of the exhaust pipe looks a bit strange to me,
I cant´t judge the tires, so i´m expecting they have to be renewed.
Am I wrong, or is the car a bit high, with too much ground clearance ?
Somebody seems to have pressed in the sill on the drivers side with a car-jack , hmm

Just from the pictures, no more no less,
are there any recommendation from the pros ?? (yes, that´s you!)

Long story is still quite long, thank god my english isn´t too bad.

Many thanks in advance

schöne Grüße aus dem Rheinland
Jürgen
...the black knight shall always be victorious !!
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Greetings from germany...

Post by Habitat.pat »

Welcome, Jürgen, you have come to the right place!

Yes, it is sitting too high, the rear spring shackles are not in the correct position. Not a big job to reverse them. The car seems to be sitting flat, so I don’t know what is causing the front to sit high, either that or the rear springs have sagged & the shackles were reversed to correct it. Compare other photos on the net & compare tire to fender geometry.

I’ll leave your other questions to others.

Peace, Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
wodca
Forum Newb

Post by wodca »

thank you.

Got the car-id, SPL31127492, can this be helpful ?
The number says it´s a 1969, see http://www.datsun.org/roadster/resource ... ction.html
the missing teardrop side markers made me tend to a 1968. Weird.
All works on the car so far were made in the US, so there seems to be either no,
or just little documentation.
Now it´s approved dutch.

Greetings
Jürgen
davdav2000
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000

Post by davdav2000 »

The price seems high -almost double- for what you can obtain a 1600 for in the U.S. It may be possible to obtain a 1600 for much cheaper in the U.S. or Canada and then ship it to you, still saving quite a bit. You'd have to do the research, but that is my opinion.
Good luck,
David
David
70 SRL
68 SPL
68 SPL Parts car
Bwk2000
Roadsteraholic

Post by Bwk2000 »

Does it run?

Yes, that’s a bit facetious, but nowhere in the description does it mention anything about the mechanical condition of the drivetrain. It’s clear from the pictures that most of the ‘restoration’ money went into what you can see verses what makes it go. Is the drivetrain worn and on its last legs? No way of knowing from the ad, but it doesn’t look like a lot of attention has been given to it lately. Maybe ask the owner for a video of the car running/being driven (city & Highway)/shifting through all the gears/showing all gauge readings/etc, etc., at least that way you will have something to go on.

I agree with David that it’s way overpriced (at least for the North American market). I would rate it as a Hagerty #3 car (see pic) if it runs and drives decently.

P.S. Welcome Jürgen, and good luck!
IMG_2664.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kai
Halifax, N.S.
’69 SPL311 Sports 1600

Classic Cars - Because clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Jurgen,
Welcome to 311's and Datsun. Yes, you will be quite happy with a roadster (Datsun Sports). In brief, car-for-car these have almost 1/3 more HP per pound than British cars in 68-69. Today's dollars this car is $30,256 US-----as mentioned, 2x the cost in USD. While this car looks great with new-exterior-paint, in my opinion look carefully at pic #81 of 87; the underlying rust is evident. Undercarriage surface rust (not a huge deal) but the floors have been replaced, always from rust-through, meaning all the remaining body metal is suspect----under the new paint. It will re-appear in a year, then your effort can become staggering (I know from experience and should have been as smart as you to ask before-I-bought). In addition (if not most important), all the mechanical bits (brakes, clutch, electrical, and drivetrain) are exposed underneath and corroding, as we speak. While much attention was given to paint and interior, meanwhile, under-hood it appears cosmetically almost fair-to-poor. For this sales price motor and transmission should have been recently rebuilt or kept/running flawless. Does it run, smoke, shift, stop, all electric bits working? FWIW, I'd pause, give these guys a call they will be a good resource: https://www.datsunroadster.nl. (and likely know/find a car for you) We look forward to having you here with this community. We'd prefer to guide you to a car that isn't too big a project. Dave
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Agree with all here. In my opinion, it is concerning to me that who ever did the work was not familiar enough with the car to install the rear springs correctly as just one example. Suspension/steering boots all look very old. The car has had body work done in the rear (at least) as the crease where the back panel attaches to the taillight area of the rear fenders has been filled in so the whole back area appears as a flat panel. The body work on the car looks pretty straight and they were very thorough with their use of paint, but as mentioned the condition of the body under that paint is suspect. It may be OK, but? My car was a rust bucket and done by a novice (me) over 37 years ago, and thanks to extensive use of highly effective rust treatment it has lasted a very long time, but it is starting to show in places where I wasn't as careful or didn't completely strip it to metal.

Then again, you may not have many to choose from, and most things can be fixed. I understand your weakness for the Car! Just take your time, look it over carefully, consider importing one (including what the country requires to import and inspect/license $$) and don't act too hungry... the sales staff will smell that like a school of sharks! Best wishes!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
CSP311
Site Supporter

Post by CSP311 »

Even from a European perspective, its overpriced. You are paying for the shiny new paint, as others have said, what about the engine/gearbox/underside of the car.

I am sure datsunroadster.nl can help you out with a car of known Euopean history/serviced by them rather than this "lipstick on a pig" of a car in your link.
1965 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) for total restoration
1978 260Z finally on the road (Rebello 3.2L)
david premo
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by david premo »

Jurgen, you can get a much nicer car at that kind of price if you’re willing to be patient. The car is alright, but nothing is known about the engine and transmission, both of which are typically expensive to rebuild. I would recommend a pass on the car.
Dave
wodca
Forum Newb

Post by wodca »

Thank you all for the good advice,
even though it´s a little bit sad... the number of offered Datsun Roadsters in my area (300km radiance) is only very little above zero.
i already contacted Erika in the netherlands, she´s 100% on the NO side for this car, even the dealer himself is not a recommendation.
So I´m glad to have asked early and look for another one. :(

Trying to figure out what an import from the states will cost,
price-level in the US is 40% below the european prices for the fairladies.

How/where should I look for those cars in north america ? Just in case...

have a nice eveming
Jürgen
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Jurgen, the wait will be worth it.

here are several examples: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970- ... adster-11/

https://www.picuki.com/tag/datsunfairlady

http://www.onecraigs.com/craigslist-sea ... 20roadster

While I personally think Bring a Trailer will not have the lowest prices----they will provide you all of the shipping information, procedures and contacts.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
wodca
Forum Newb

Post by wodca »

We´ll see.
My wife nearly killed me as I spoke of importing a car from overseas,
that I have never seen in real for about 20K + 5K for transportation and taxes.
She can read my thoughts, so I am in constant fear of being executed at any time now.
Maybe she calms down later...

Wish me luck
J.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Don't worry, it will only be a flesh wound...
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA