General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SOUPY
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Not What I Was Planning To Do Today

Post by SOUPY »

At auto parts store this morning and bought a can of paint stripper for near future use and then found some old paint Stripper sitting around so I thought I'd do a quick test on trunk lid. Side by side comparisons with only a 15 minuet soak, no sanding. Jasco seemed to work a little better.
paint.jpg
Used a plastic scrapper to clean up....not bad....quick, but left the primer so me's thinkin I'll do a longer soak when I decide to do this in the near future. But it got me wondering, how soft is the rest of paint around my test? So I get out the trusty razor blade scrapper and lo and behold all the paint starts scrapping (rolling) off! No stripper.
paint1.jpg
So I keep going and an hour later
paint2.jpg
3 hours later, whole car done except rear panel where license plate and tail lights are. And the hood
paint3.jpg
Whereas most everything scrapped off easily the hood fought me. It is only coming off in little pieces. Maybe because of heat? The rear panel seems to be thicker paint and have a couple different colors to it. I will fight with those 2 items tomorrow! The primer looks in great shape. Should I leave it? What caused the paint to come off so easily? Any suggestions would help before I attempt to spray it in the future!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life's too short, buy your best tool first!
69 2000 'Lil Red, pretty much done
66 1600 Stroker, Whitelady, in progress
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Re: Not What I Was Planning To Do Today

Post by redroadster »

I ask Bondo Billy, on YT ,really like his content
He's replied to my ? But there's different paints more hardener in some he usually just DA it off
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

The old Jasco will kill you. Good ventilation required. They have since changed the formula after deaths.

I need to ask the body shop where my car is what they use. He said they put it on and cover it with plastic food type wrap. Comes right off.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
mikeb
Site Supporter

Post by mikeb »

To chime in: both of those products appear to be the versions that include methylene chloride. A handful of States have outlawed methylene chloride in paint strippers. While I'm sure they're much better for the environment and your lungs, etc, the non-methylene chloride strippers will barely remove b-flat enamel, let alone 2K paint, based on my experience. Kleenstrip actually still sells both versions, depending on where you live, but as Curtis mentioned, be very careful using them.

But this explains your good results. They do work and they work well. Just be careful.
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Remarkable (that it didn't peal-in-the-wind :)) and a true score. I read this as you didn't even have to use the m. chloride for 99% of the car--- fantastic. I'm not a body/paint guy by anyone's imagination but it would appear the last painter laid down a primer (which looks to be well done) and the color-paint was incompatible. My experience (again, limited) would be to find a shop with an expert, especially as it looks drivable. I have done a drive-up assessment where they ID'd my existing paint & primer then immediately knew what process was required. So many variables: they had options like: a specific light re-prime over existing (using a bonding chemistry), chemical etch, then on to single stage, or 2-stage, color etc, etc. Doesn't appear you have any big surprises peaking through the primer, so you have already saved (your health), either/both chemical stripping or a week with a DA.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next
rwmann
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by rwmann »

1977-ish, I had MAACO shoot their platinum urethane paint over the OEM 666 paint and some rear quarter primer, on an earlier car. Great color, but by 1980, in the Texas sun, it had started to peel off in large sheets.
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

One of the guys here did the prep on his car and had Maaco paint it 10 or more years ago. Still looks great but is garaged.

The shop painting my car said the new paints which are water based are peeling off the cars. Government big on getting rid of VOCs. Asked about getting my peeling blue paint courtesy of Honda long out of warranty painted and he told me the Maaco job would last about 4 to 5 years.

I used the Jasco on my car and I didn't know how toxic it was. Lucky I didn't poison myself. But it did get the paint off.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.