sound deadening

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: sound deadening

Post by Curtis »

Make paper templates is what I ended up doing.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

ppeters914 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:54 pm Hoping to do this in the next day or two. Using FatMax. Any installation tips to minimize bad words and excessive alcohol consumption?
It's pretty straightforward, a few things that will save you time ans swear words
- Start all the way up front at the firewall going back
- Use paper templates or the sheet upside down to mark
- when doing long sheet dont remove the backing all at once , do a leading edge first and make sure it's straight and aligned then pull on backing as your pressing the rest in place
- look at your sheets there's always a side with a small overlap so plan ahead when joining two sheets (make nicer seams)
- Try to do the tunnel last
- If you dont have a roller tool get one (important for proper installation and adhesion )

Good luck
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Per motorcycle lore ,wind is very distructive for your hearing
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

I wish there were more thorough pictures, especially the firewall. There are also slight differences in how folks did it. I'm probably overthinking it, as usual. :smt119

So, do the back trunk wall above the package shelf? Worried that it might make installing the back panel more difficult, but also don't know how much sound will be coming from that direction.

Yeah, it ain't rocket science, but it is slightly difficult and tedious.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

I know this is an old thread, but one thing I found after using Kilmat was that you need to remove the kilmat (or any other mat type material) where the radio plate hits the transmission tunnel. I put it all in, along with the carpet, followed by the dash & finally the radio panel. I couldn't get the panel in place because of the additional thickness on the tunnel! I cut out the Kilmat & put everything back in and it fit just fine.

Peace,
Pat
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Pete, I put Kilmat on the trunk wall & the new vinyl panel I got from Dean fit just fine. Leave the trim around the back of the tub off until you get the panel in, it will make things much easier.

Peace,
Pat
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Habitat.pat wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:43 pm I know this is an old thread, but one thing I found after using Kilmat was that you need to remove the kilmat (or any other mat type material) where the radio plate hits the transmission tunnel. I put it all in, along with the carpet, followed by the dash & finally the radio panel. I couldn't get the panel in place because of the additional thickness on the tunnel! I cut out the Kilmat & put everything back in and it fit just fine.

Peace,
Pat
Yeah, Curtis warned my wife about that. He'd already BTDT.
20220725_194603_HDR_copy_1396x1861.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic

Post by Habitat.pat »

Pete, My problem was more on the top of the tunnel, in front of the shifter where it fits up to the shifter plate. My sides fit fairly well but I did also cut it out as your photo shows.

Peace,
Pat
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I ended removing my there as well and removing the padding from the carpet and still it is a tight fit. I also took some material off the bottom of the console sheet metal in front. I don't have the other side screwed on yet and only have an awl holding it in place. I'm waiting to see how the driver side panel fits. As noted in my other thread I intend to install the console first on the next car. I find the console to be a real PITA. Insulation and cables, blah!

I am using the Nissan floor insulation this next time. Ross recommended it. Costs about 3 times as much but doesn't have that shiny surface.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.