1970 Datsun 240Z WORKS Rally

Z car, 210, 510, 521, 621,721 pickups and any thing in between.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

1970 Datsun 240Z WORKS Rally

Post by Alvin »

From the recent 50th Birthday Celebration of ZONC this incredible survivor caught my eye, enjoy!
Full report: https://www.zcarblog.com/2022/06/14/eve ... ation.html

In the middle of freshly painted/detailed Datsuns and Nissans was this rather dilapidated S30. Upon closer inspection viewers were treated to the tremendous revival of this real-deal Nissan WORKS rally car. Recently I had just posted a blog report on Randy’s East-African Rally Tribute, so seeing an actual, surviving rally car in person blew me away. We all geeked out pretty hard on the details, and they were impressive:

This is chassis #2 of 4 that were built by Nissan for the 1971 Monte Carlo Rally. It is the project of Tom K and noted Datsun expert Steve Pettersen and their restoration website is a must-visit for history and feature documentation (as shown above). The Z remains largely intact with original parts like the Nissan competition exhaust manifold and roll bar. Period-correct parts like the Ikeda Bussan rally seat and reclining navigator seat were sourced. Check out the coolant-supplied port to defrost the headlight covers, Nissan-branded acrylic windows and more:

Authentic Magnesium rally wheels and Kanto Seiki 8krpm tach! Thanks Tom and Steve for bringing it out to the ZONC event!

This Z deserves its own spotlight, but enjoy this walk-around video until we can visit Tom and take some proper coverage:

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread