Put part numbers and suppliers here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

volvo brakes

Post by johnscf »

I have seen referenced many times on here to the volvo disc brake conversion. What is the exact conversion and is it a direct bolt on swap without modification?
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
ppeters914
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: volvo brakes

Post by ppeters914 »

johnscf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm I have seen referenced many times on here to the volvo disc brake conversion. What is the exact conversion and is it a direct bolt on swap without modification?
There are quite a few threads on this. I recommend starting with the TechWiki:

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... ion.Brakes

Happy reading!
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Don't bother Charlie, there are much better options. The Volvo calipers use smaller pistons so your braking performance is actually worse than original equipment. Not a great plan.

Suggest you stay with OEM, check out the Spriso kit, or possibly Wilwoods, all those work better than the Volvo kludge.

If you do get a Wilwood kit, be sure to get 4.12sq-in calipers. 3.0's are no bueno. (also a reduction in stopping power/increased stopping difference) The 4.12's work extremely well with increased stopping power.

Michael's (Spriso) kit is excellent and the caliper piston size is correct too!

Stock is easiest and least expensive.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

JT68 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:56 am Don't bother Charlie, there are much better options. The Volvo calipers use smaller pistons so your braking performance is actually worse than original equipment. Not a great plan.

Suggest you stay with OEM, check out the Spriso kit, or possibly Wilwoods, all those work better than the Volvo kludge.

If you do get a Wilwood kit, be sure to get 4.12sq-in calipers. 3.0's are no bueno. (also a reduction in stopping power/increased stopping difference) The 4.12's work extremely well with increased stopping power.

Michael's (Spriso) kit is excellent and the caliper piston size is correct too!

Stock is easiest and least expensive.
Experts please correct me, but I don't believe any of these options are simple remove and replace without any modifications, which is what the OP wondered.

JT, why do you call the Volvo conversion a kludge? Are you referring to the original or the Blue Hands (aka mklotz) option, or both?
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

So the Volvo stuff was popular for a while because the calipers happen to have the same bolt pattern as the oem calipers and they used to be relatively cheap. But there is really nothing great about them. Just because a part may bolt on doesn't make it an improvement. Like I said, because of the smaller piston surface area of the caliper, higher pedal effort is required just to match the OEM stopping distance. How is that a braking upgrade?
Because it is cheaper? no.

There are other annoying details about the Volvo stuff too. There were calipers that had two brake hydraulic circuits and some that did not, so some folks were making one-off 2-into-1 hydraulic adapters at some point. As I recall the solid rotor calipers were also designed for a thicker rotor than the roadster (especially if your rotors have been turned) and to make certain vented rotors work there were offset spacers made to reposition the wheel hubs.

lastly, the Volvo calipers are just as heavy as OEM calipers, so no benefit there. They make a great anchor for a small fishing boat!

If folks want to do all this wackiness, that is fine, but the Spriso, Wilwood and stock setups are all better in various ways and stop better.
Last edited by JT68 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
D P
Roadster Fanatic

Post by D P »

johnscf wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:57 pm I have seen referenced many times on here to the volvo disc brake conversion. What is the exact conversion and is it a direct bolt on swap without modification?
The main issue with the Volvo conversion is that those Volvo calipers are no longer readily available as they were in previous years.

FYI I have it and I am very happy with it.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

As a point of reference, some of the brake conversions require larger wheels. That being the case, you should factor wheels and tires into the cost of the conversion.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...