Engine bay clean up

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mochi
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Engine bay clean up

Post by Mochi »

Pretty much stripped the wngine bay out to get it ready for paint. How have you stripped the paint off? I was thinking off using aircraft stripper that way but if there is a faster/better way let me know!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Engine bay clean up

Post by theunz »

The easier faster way is to get it media blasted. More than the cost of paint stripper, but will save you a ton of time, not to mention the mess. Shouldn’t take more than an hour to just blast the engine bay, maybe only 30 minutes with the right guy.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Mochi
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Mochi »

theunz wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:25 pm The easier faster way is to get it media blasted. More than the cost of paint stripper, but will save you a ton of time, not to mention the mess. Shouldn’t take more than an hour to just blast the engine bay, maybe only 30 minutes with the right guy.
Would I find a guy to come over to my garage or trailer it to a shop? That sounds amazing to have it done in a day
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I media blasted mine with a harbor freight blaster using the ground glass. However, it will get in to every nook and cranny so you have to cover up EVERY PLACE you don't want media. It will go through every tiny hole you have.

I took mine to the blaster and they said we can't do it and keep it out of the inside. Since they put it in a booth there's no way to keep it out.

One bonus sort of is I found rust in the bottom of the driver side rail. Off to the body shop to be repaired. Then they painted it for me.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

Depending on where you live I’m sure you could find a mobile blaster, but it would probably be too expensive. He would spend more time traveling than blasting. Curtis is right, the media will get in everything, but looking at your picture it looks like the car is pretty well stripped down anyway, so that may not be an issue. If you have a big enough air compressor you could buy a a Harbor Freight sand blaster and a bag of media for about the same money and have the blaster for future uses. I had the whole underside and engine bay of mine done 5 or 6 years ago for about $200 or $250, but have no idea about pricing now. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-compressors/air.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

I had the one body water blasted. I don't even want to talk about the cost and mess it made. Oh and the fun of getting wet media out of your car for weeks.

I put down a big tarp in the driveway and the stuff doesn't go far. Didn't have any complaints from the next door neighbor.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.