Body off resto - in a carport?

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

BigGuySmallCar
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Body off resto - in a carport?

Post by BigGuySmallCar »

I want to know if a full a body off restoration is possible with my setup.

A bit of technical background:
  • I live in the PNW where it rains 8 months of the year.
    I (will) have a large single car carport.
    I have a basement shop which has a lot of room, but cannot fit a car. It can easily handle any car parts, but not a body or a frame.
So I will have to keep the frame and body out in the carport. My worry is rust. Since this is all part time work I am worried that when I strip the frame or body, that moisture will get to it before I have had a chance to protect it. I am also unsure if primer can be valid long term moisture protection.

I suppose my other concern is working space for the body/frame. I can probably hang the body from the carport cieling, but maybe I would be better off to make a dlly for it. Roll it out, work on frame. Roll out the frame, work on body kinda thing...

thanks for any suggestions.
Habitat.pat
Roadsteraholic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Body off resto - in a carport?

Post by Habitat.pat »

I can't help with your decision as to whether you should do your frame off in your car port, I'm in Texas & don't have the rain problem & have a shop, but I thought you might like to see how I supported my frame & body for my frame off.

I used a couple cheap Harbor Freight engine stands to hold the frame I didn't tie the stands together so I could steer them to move the frame around.
IMG_3062.JPG
The body is light enough that I was able to position it on what is called Baker's Scaffolding. I have an overhead electric hoist that I used to lift the body so I could raise or lower the scaffilding so I could get to whatever I needed on the body.
IMG_3063.JPG
Peace,
Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
67.5 SPL311 Stroker Restomod
Pat Horne, Near Austin, TX
We support Habitat for Humanity
A hand UP, not a hand OUT
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm no expert. That said, there are some primer/sealers that will not allow rust to happen, and some that will absorb moisture so talk to an autobody supply shop. Also, is there room for a separate temporary car garage elsewhere on the Property? I stored a car in sealer/primer for several years in one I got from harbor freight and it worked great. You could put the body in that and have the frame in the carport.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
BigGuySmallCar
Forum Newb
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by BigGuySmallCar »

Pat - thanks for the tips - I like the bakers scaffolding - that'll work!

Greg - good to hear about the different primers. I will check it out. I dont have room for a temporary shelter, but I am thinking of a car body bag using dri-z-air - I could put this around the side of the house while working on the frame - thanks!
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

Can you use plastic sheeting to go from post to post to seal it from weather?
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
CSP311
Site Supporter

Post by CSP311 »

Airflow is the key. If you box it in with a tarp say, the moist air gets trapped inside. Keep it open so the breeze can keep the moisture off, but if you need some rain protection from sideways rain, put something up, but keep some gaps.

A car will rot if stored in a damp garage.
1965 Nissan Silvia (CSP311) for total restoration
1978 260Z finally on the road (Rebello 3.2L)