New Bee Looking For Guidence.

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

ANGERMGT101

New Bee Looking For Guidence.

Post by ANGERMGT101 »

Ok i just baught a 1967 datsun Roadster.

This question is Requaarding the U20DET. I am looking at putting one im my roadster. I am findint the complete engine on ebay and other sites for pretty cheep. But they do not include the hardware. What is the Price for all the Parts MAF, computer ect to get this engine running?

Also if any one knows any books or ANYTHING to help out with this conversion Please let me know. Like motor mounts ect.

Any other comments or anything else you might help out with please let me know. Thanks for you time.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

U20DET??

Post by SLOroadster »

What are you doing? Leave the U20 alone (as far as forced induction :) )The U20 is a great engine that you really don't want to blow up. A well tuned U20 will make a roadster plenty fast (trust me, I know) Stick a pair of 44mm Mikuni Solex carbs on and a free flowing slightly oversized exhaust on it and it will fly. A stock solex B cam is good, with some tweaking and a reground cam, it really goes. Don't turbo it especially if its a real 67.5 2000, and if it is don't put a modern engine in either as you will have to cut the frame.
Just my $.02,

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!

Post by Guest »

I think you are talking about the SR20DET engine?
If so, TR on this site is the man to talk to!
Nissan never offered a "U20DET". ANd I doubt there U20DETs on Ebay :D
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

If it is a 67 1/2 by all means leave it alone!

What's a U20DET?

Just to let you know what is minimully ahead of you...

The only turbos I've seen used dual-floated single SU carb and copper gasket to reduce the compression. This will get you in the 200+ HP arena.

The safest you can ever boost without precombustion is no more than 7. Anything over that, they used used water injection. If you use water injection you can drive very far because you will eventually run out of water.

You can fashion an intercooler but you find that to be a serious task since the intake and exhaust are on the same side and the avaible space is occupied by the overflow tank and washer fluid tank. You can try to put both tanks on the otherside of the radiator...

You will have to fashion a cleaver way to lubricate the turbo after you turn off the car becuase the oil will start to cook sitting in the turbo. Not to mention prelube the turbo at startup becuase the oild has drained down to the pan.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!