SoCal TT 2020, October 17 & 18

People can post things here such as upcoming runs, car shows and events!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

SoCal TT 2020, October 17 & 18

Post by FergO2k »

Flyers just sent out, contact me at email address below and I will forward them on to you.
Backroads drive thru every possible twisty to be found. (Google maps show 2 hours point-to-point, we take ~6 to do same)

Not sure if this years trek is the Northern route (~Lompoc overnite) or Eastern route (~Desert Hot Springs overnite).
Starts near Glendale / Echo Park.

While in the past "pre-'75 cars" was a rule, that is much less strict than before. (and if you sign up and your intended ride breaks down day before just drive along in anything!)
(no rules if you choose to do it on 2 wheels, and those of us in cars help out by schlepping your luggage)
Note: we help with luggage, leave your baggage at home, whether on 2 wheels or 4.

The "dis-organizer" books the rooms in a block and hosts an "awards dinner" at a pizza place the end. (and makes the route sheets, pre-runs the legs to make sure they are open, or at least were open the previous week)
Very informal, irreverent group.

About 220 miles per day, with the variety of cars (and fuel mileage) there are stops every 90 minutes or so, for gas and "gearhead storytelling".
Not competitive, take at your own pace. You will usually find 2-4 cars that are choosing the same pace, so don't really need to follow along the instructions/route sheet, if you find yourself unsure just pull over an wait until a cool car comes along, then drop in behind them.
There is always a "fast group" if one chooses. (yes, that is often the 510 guys!)

In the email address shown below, swap out an O (oh) for the two Zeroes.

fergus0farrell at veriz0n.net
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
FergO2k

Re: SoCal TT 2020, October 17 & 18, picture link

Post by FergO2k »

A bit of a delay in posting pictures, but a great event, all went well, no tickets, very few breakdowns and minor ones at that, and some glorious albeit remote backroads.

http://www.socaltt.com/2020_SoCal_TT/index.html

The Bugeye sprite lost a generator bearing, and the owner and his son flat-bedded home and rejoined in his Lotus Elise Daily Driver.
The Mercedes pagoda (with Buick V6!) lost a brake booster seal, so crept home in the early morning to avoid busy traffic with limited braking capability.

One does realize, in requesting pictures from all comers, is that we travel in packs and tend to stop at the same vistas, so lots of repeats. (how many pictures of the Techachapi loop can one look at and still be amazed?)

And the roadster stayed well hidden in folks pictures. ( the "stealth" option must be in place for all my homemade - and somewhat crude - Carbon Fiber interior pieces! )
Day 1 was very long, 8:30am-7pm, a little over 300 miles, but well worth it.
No offense to any Central Valley'ers (my roots are from there myself) but parts of East Bakersfield does resemble "the armpit of California".

Hope to see more of you'se out on the road, will post new runs as I hear about more.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
onsight512
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: SoCal TT 2020, October 17 & 18

Post by onsight512 »

That looks like a great drive.
Solex68
Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Solex68 »

Always love your SoCal TT coverage Fergus !
I watched them launch one year and it was so much fun.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

These are a blast, and you get an opportunity to check out some other cars of similar vintage equipment.
(like 3 Volvo 140's this time, who took a side jaunt in Lancaster to go practice some dirt road donuts out in the middle of nowhere!)

The 2L roadster has long legs, so keeps up well in the transit stages.... Perfectly happy being driven at 4.5k rpms and higher for long stretches, (I hold back at hitting 6k!) as sometimes on the switchbacks it is just not worth grabbing next gear, just let it spin up.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

From adventures past, see any barbed wire, Fergus?.... LoL

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Good memory Linda, and thankfully (seasonal reference) none of that.
But not by chance, as while the car still wears the scars of that excursion, my driving style has toned down significantly.
On these events, one has to remember that although that sedan in front may be of similar vintage/performance, they may have:
Better equipment
Better rubber
More talent, or
Answer D: All of the above.
Better to end the day with stories to tell, rather than end the day and be the story all are telling.

Take care all, Happy holidays !
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

Fergus,
I couldn't have made it this year, even if I'd known about it, but it looks like it was a great time. But next year I'll be looking for it. May even have the roadster ready by then. If not, I'll take the Z.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Post by nismou20 »

As far as talent Fergus has set the bar for me. I’ve been behind you several times in past trying to stay up. By the way do you run a Comp front sway bar? If you haven’t just think how much more fun can be had. It’s probably the number 1 handling improvement I’ve made to my car when it comes to canyon carving.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Thanks Tom, and that will be on my list soon. I got comp springs used from a forum member, turns out they are the kind with comp spring rates but don't lower it any, but that is probably good for me because I am kinda hard on equipment. Not really that fast, but not afraid to run the U20 up to 5.5k rpm, and 4.5k for extended stretches, and she loves it. (though I have stayed with a 7 blade fan, kinda worried about reducing cooling capacity even one iota)
In reality, my syncros are aged, so a bit less of pulling a gear if I can tell the next switchback is only "that" far away, just let her spin up and no need to downshift when I get there.
Look forward to seeing you all on the road soon, will let you know if I hear of next events.
Fergus O
Los Alamitos, CA