Hello from Knoxville

Here you can introduce yourself to the group.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Hello from Knoxville

Post by Steve_69 »

I have taken possession of a 69 1600 that needs a lot of work. While I may be new to the roadster, I have been around the block with a number of other cars, and over the last 12 years, vintage motorcycles. I am at the age where slowing down a bit is necessary and Kawasaki H1's are no longer a good idea So, all but 1 motorcycle (KE-175) are gone and I am taking on the roadster. The car would run if you fed fuel from an external source, but run poorly. The fuel tank was so bad it is indescribable. Yesterday, I did the tank with the POR-15 kit. It wore me out with all of the shaking and turning of the tank. I found half of the carb and intake/exhaust manifold bolts less than finger tight, while others were tight and corroded. Sucking in a lot of air, hence the running poorly. The seats were totally assembled incorrectly. Not sure how you screw that up. Rockers and lower fender sections will need to be replaced. I don't expect to have many questions as these cars are pretty simple and most questions appear already answered somewhere on this forum. I am looking forward to this project and getting to know others in the community. - Steve
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Hello from Knoxville

Post by Gregs672000 »

Welcome Steve! A Roadster is more like a go-kart than anything, but I think you'll really enjoy the similar freedom of open air driving that you get from a bike, only better cause there's no helmet to get in the way! We're fortunate to live in an area where it's easy to get into the mountains, and there really isn't anything like a convertible on scenic mountain roads, so I encourage you to find scenic places where you are and drive the heck out of the car when it's done, you'll love it!
Enjoy the ride!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Welcome Steve! Post pictures of your project!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Steve_69
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Steve_69 »

Thank you for the welcome aboard messages. I have lurked for a while and really like the forum. I will post pictures at some point, maybe this weekend. I am sure many of you watch what is out there and probably know something about the car. I probably should have said that I own a 2019 Miata club edition, so top-down driving is a real joy. I previously owned a 2000 Miata and have in the past had experience with a spitfire and a Fiat Dino to name a few. I have even owned a Simca 1204! I was considering a Bugeye or a Datsun for a project to keep me out of trouble and in the garage. The Datsun was my first choice. I am glad I found this one. If anyone makes the trip to the Tail of the Dragon, look me up.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Right near the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. Should be some great opportunities for pics there..
Good luck with the resto.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.