She's in! She's finally back in!!!!

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Minh
Roadsteraholic

She's in! She's finally back in!!!!

Post by Minh »

Today is the end of Chapter 1: Engine Rebuild, of my resto project.

Next, Chapter 2!!! :) Were the heck am I gonna find a rebuild kit for my SU? :roll: Does any one know?

The motor is back in engine compartment. Oh God, at last.

I have been reading and hearing the opinion about putting a motor back with or without the tranny attached.

I don't see any big deal (As for as the U20 goes). This is for the people who have never done it. I had planned "this day" for while in my head.
-Remove the upper half of the distributor, the entire intake, and the entire exhaust. (In my case they were alreday off because it was a complete tear down the lock washers)
-Jack up the tranny underneath and press it up against the hoses just barely before touching the car's body.
-The U20 slid right in.
-Bolt the upper half of the distributor, the entire intake, and the entire exhaust back on.

Did I mention the steering column shaft was not removed the whole time? Took me 15 minutes to slide mount it in. :shock:

The two upper bolt at the top are a bit tight to bolt in but not impossble. Just make sure the bolts are already in the tranny bolt holes before you mount the engine.

Hindsight, it would have been easier to put the motor back in without the head and valve cover too to avoid the tight area the 2 upper bolts had. This will be done the on the next rebuild - hopefully decades away

Tomorrow I will put in the lower two bolts and starter, and my "Harlee" is being towed home for the final phases.

You need 2 people to do the job. One to move/operate the picker (in my case the forklift) the other to "hold" the floating exhaust header while guiding the motor in.

The exhaust header has to be detached from the motor for the motor to slide in smoothly becuase the header has to in the area where it belongs. If the motor is in before header the header will not go down between the motor and frame.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
nking79

chapters

Post by nking79 »

Good luck on the completion of Chapter One. Myself, I'm thinking about reading the prelude and plan on taking at first chapter or two to a professional.

Can you give me a basic outline of your capters out of curiosity? Thanks
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Engine install

Post by SLOroadster »

The best way I have found is to install the whole nine yards at once. Yes, I mean drop it in with the headers, carbs, and tranny attached. You will understand why when you try to put the headers and intake on in the car, its possible but for those of us who have big hands, you cant get the nuts on the underside of the headers without a lot of frustration. I have tried many times, and this is the best way. Its the way BRE did it as well. It took me about 15 minutes to install it with 2 people.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

That is one thing on my side - nimble small hands with long fingers. :)

This is me... Other might doit in different order. My car did not have any real rust damage.

Chapter One: Fuel, Suspension, and Motor
Chapter Two: Carbs, Brakes, Clutch, Radiator, and Fluids
Chapter Three: Ignition, Timing, and Electrical, Rims
Chapter Four: Body Restoration and Any Customization
Chapter Five: 1 year driving and break in.
Chapter Six: Yank, Strip, Pull, and Prep for Painting
Chapter Seven: Plating and Weatherstripping
Chapter Eight: Putting it all back together
Chapter Nine: Cosmetics, Detailing and Interiors
Chpater Ten: Stereo and other goodies
Chapter Eleven: Waiting the day U20 is dead & unmaintainable
Chapter Twelve: Engine & Tranny swap.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!

She's in!!!She's finally in!

Post by Guest »

Hey Minh! Regarding your question about where to find the rebuilt kit for the carbs, check with Dann and Gary from Rallye Enterprises. The website is http://www.datsunroadster.com/ . They have all the kits, from minor rebuilt, to complete rebuilt. Congratulations on Chapter 1...good luck on Chapter 2!!!

Jorge
Torrance, CA